[NEMA Press Release] Paid Positions for Reporters

Your laws, Ms. Kim. Not mine. I am a Free Captain. Not every capsuleer subjects themselves to servitude like a common slaver hound.

2 Likes

Very interesting. This being will see if it can do something for yours.

1 Like

Umā€¦ okay. Iā€™ll take that as a positive. Look forward to seeing what you got.

1 Like

ā€œFree Captainā€ sounds like some sort of dumb name from a gallente brainwashing show that would depict freedom as something good.

And no, you arenā€™t. First of all, because I donā€™t have ā€œmineā€ laws. I serve the State as a soldier and enforce State laws. Besides State laws there are also CONCORD laws, that are valid even for those, who might consider themselves blindly to be ā€œFreeā€ Captains.

CODE violate CONCORD laws and commit mass slaughter. Even if you donā€™t want to accept the laws of a certain entity, I cannot comprehend how you might tolerate what CODE do just from a simple humane point of view (and not a point of view of same, rogue drones, for example, who treat people just as ā€œcomponent materialsā€).

I can only recommend you that before trying to convince the cluster that these murderous maniacs are ā€œgood to businessā€ is to try to convince, say, someone like @Aldrith_Shutaq that @Nauplius might be good for business? I would love to see your attempt, reallyā€¦

Oh, and pleaseā€¦ do that in person, staying face to face with him. Make sure you record it on camera, I would LOVE to see that!

It certainly would be a good practise for you, considering Mr. Nauplius slaughtered less people than CODE.

Again, Ms. Kim, you seem to fail to understand how the free press works. Iā€™m not trying to convince anyone of anything. Iā€™m trying to make it very clear that there are two sides to a story, and they should make up their own minds.

I question your credentials, to be absolutely honest, if you canā€™t distinguish between an endorsement (which we will not and have not done) and an informational story.

Also, Iā€™m not a State citizen any longer as I didnā€™t particularly appreciate the fascist flavor that the government turned towards. Iā€™ve been a Federation citizen for several years now.

Your spin game, by the way, could use some work, sista. Youā€™re a little rusty.

You remind me of an old joke. A brutor comes to deteis magazine and asks to publish his story. The editor reads: ā€œI SMASHā€. He slowly lifts eyes at the writer and asks, ā€œIs that all? Write something more.ā€ The brutor departs and returns the next day, offering his writing to the editor. He reads: ā€œI SEE BAD GUY. I SMASH.ā€ The editor gets annoyed: ā€œWhereā€™s the content in your story? Why the guy is bad? Why you smash him?.. Go rework it!ā€ On the third day the author brings the next edition of his opus. The editor reads: ā€œI SEE BAD GUY. HE SLAVER. I SMASH.ā€ This time he loses patience and yells at the writer: ā€œAre you kidding me? Do you call it a story? Have you read any of classics?ā€ But the author replies: ā€œBRUTOR NOT READER. BRUTOR WRITER.ā€

You see the similarity, telling me about your press, and just saying I wrote to you ā€œWORDSā€, have you even tried reading and comprehending them them before being ā€œWRITERā€?

That explains your love to manslaughtering criminal cult.

Ms. Kim, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll read our periodical. Based solely on your reaction to the hint of a story, I can almost promise it. Iā€™ll be sure to send you the first issue, straight to your inbox.

Also, Iā€™d love to do a feature on you one day. Itā€™ll probably happen one way or another, but Iā€™d love you to actually have some input on it.

Ciao, love. Have fun in the trenches with the rest of the drones. :wink:

2 Likes

Mr. Destro

Thank you for your initiative. I am currently considering the possibility of a contribution on Triglavian forces. Potential co-authors have raised concerns though, that a possibly biased endorsement of CODE. or a too sensationalist attitude towards the journalistā€™s trade would not go well with a neutral and serious scientific perspective.

Maybe you want to change the concept of the CODE. contribution to a pro/con comparison feature, shift the focus away from a single alliance, or just drop it alltogether. As was pointed out already, the topic has been discussed on multiple occasions. Though it may raise attention on the short-term, it may also cost you credibility on the long run.

Sincerely,

Haria Haritimado

4 Likes

Three things:

1. Again, this is not an endorsement of any organization. Itā€™s called a headline. Iā€™m not going to explain such a simple concept again.
  2. This is not a science-centered publication. While scientific articles are encouraged and welcomed, our publication is meant to appeal to a broad audience.
  3. As the publisher, and the one paying the checks, I make the rules. Submit, donā€™t submitā€¦ thatā€™s up to you if you want to get paid. No skin off my nose, one way or the other.

Neither the court of public opinion nor the bias of any individual will dictate what we will publish. Ever. End of story.

Itā€™s pure freedom and anarcho-capitalism at itā€™s finest, baby cheeks. Do what thou wilt and all that jazz.

1 Like

Mr. Destro

Thank you for your fast reply. The clarifications help to assess the suitability of different contributions. One last thing would be helpful to know, though. From an entrepreneurā€™s perspective I would expect a revenue in exchange for the generous investments you are offering for contributions - which in turn are a potential source of valuable publicity for the contributors themselves. Is your cost model based on sales income, advertisment, or some third party investments?

Sincerely,

Haria Haritimado

1 Like

Itā€™s based on ā€œYouā€™re a freelancer, hereā€™s your ISK.ā€

If youā€™d like to know the particulars of how I run the books, youā€™d have to join the fold or make a heavy investment in some shares yourself.

Summary: You write something I want to publish, I pay you. Your produce a product, I purchase said product.

1 Like

Hi there. Iā€™m an award-winning writer who also runs an industrial concern and has advanced degrees in cluster politics.

Iā€™ve read this thread and come away feeling all sorts of ways. On the one hand, anyone willing to call Diana Kim on her ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  is a friend of mine. On the other, you seem quite ready to dismiss the valuable opinions of Teinyhr, easily one of the most knowledgeable pilots you could hope to find on the IGS, simply because sheā€™s saying things that you donā€™t want to hear.

Personally, Iā€™ll read your report when it comes out, but Iā€™ll be skipping the CODE. piece. For one because, as has been stated, itā€™s lame. For another because hiring an infamous CODE. pilot who actually did PR for their efforts to write your piece to ā€œget readersā€ doesnā€™t successfully pass your ā€œnot an endorsementā€ litmus test. If you want a piece about how CODE.ā€™s wanton destruction of ships is beneficial for industry, then ask an industrialist.

Before you ask, I have no interest in writing such a piece. But Iā€™ll give you an outline for whichever poor sod does end up with it: Demand for ships isnā€™t the only influence on the production chain, and paying heed only to that demand is a good way to go broke quick. You also need to calculate the price and availability of materials for any given ship build. You also need to correct for markets: Because CODE. focuses its efforts on Jita and the high-security pipe into Gallente space, any effect they have on markets in other regionsā€”Rens, Hek, Amarr, nullsec hubsā€”is likely to be minimal.

And because youā€™re on a time crunch (I am the empress of cramming. Ask anyone.), Iā€™ll offer you some more advice for absolutely free: Narrow down your target market. Aiming to serve ā€œthe whole clusterā€ is admirable, but weā€™re talking about trillions of very different kinds of people. That is to say, when you refer to

I assume youā€™re including baseliners. Partly because most capsuleers end up encountering other cultures incidentally in our work, and partly because the only people who might be interested in any story abour CODE. are baseliners who enjoy stories about boogeymen, and CODE. themselves. (Surely you didnā€™t expect IGS capsuleers to care about that? You probably donā€™t have to search very far back in Ange des Larmesā€™ reply history to see how much we hate CODE.)

That being said, even an intent to market to capsuleers from every corner of the cluster would be misguided. Your ā€œGallente valuesā€ are likely to rub State-aligned and Empire-aligned capsuleers the wrong way (Kim notwithstanding). And as a Republic-allied capsuleer myself, I find your ā€œGallenteā€ ability to use the phrases ā€œstory about an organizationā€ and ā€œopinionsā€ in nearly the same breath troubling, to put it lightly.

As the saying goes, you canā€™t please everyone. Trying to please everyone just makes everyone indifferent. A much stronger foundation would be to target a specific segment of the capsuleer market. This will ensure that your report does actually interest the readers who are most likely to enjoy your product in full. You will then automatically draw in other readers outside of that market who will pick it up for just one or two articles, and readers who are generally interested in quarterly reports, and readers who are curious about new journals, and readers who like the reportā€™s cover design.

In other words: ā€œThe entire clusterā€ should be your total market, while your target market is a much narrower segment. Maybe your target market is Gallente dudes, 20-55, moderate to high income, who are capsuleers. Youā€™ll still get readers who arenā€™t in that group (hi!), but at the very least youā€™ll be certain of finding a loyal base within that group.

Now, why does your target market matter? It matters because of this throwaway remark:

Dr. Haritimado made a very good point in asking about your cost model. You kinda dismissed it out of hand. Maybe you felt it was nosy. Maybe youā€™re funding this project out of your own private wealth, and as such havenā€™t had to think about costs yet. Any of that is fine, and wholly your prerogative.

But as someone who is interested in advertising, your revenue model and your target market are two crucial pieces of information. Part one: If I pay for an advertisement in your publication, to whom should I tailor my advertisement? If youā€™re mostly selling your report to industrialists, then I may not be as interested, because I manufacture mostly B2C. Or if youā€™re going Gallente, then maybe Iā€™ll tout my products that sell better in the Federation as opposed to the Republic or Mandate. Or if youā€™re courting CODE., maybe Iā€™ll tout my cheaper modules. (Sorry. Couldnā€™t resist.)

Part two: As an advertiser, Iā€™d want to know that Iā€™ll get a return on my investment. This is a new publication, so you wonā€™t have past readership and distribution marks to offer, and thatā€™s fine. But what guarantees do I have that this will actually get off the ground? If it doesnā€™t, would you be able to refund me fully? If it does, will I see additional buy-through that will offer a respectable ROI? You know, stuff like that.

In fact, as a writer, Iā€™d want to know those things as well. If I sit down and take the time to write a well-polished, fully-sourced article for you, will you actually pay me? (After all, you seem pretty unfamiliar around these parts; itā€™s hard to gauge how reliable you might be. Not being harsh; thatā€™s just how it goes.) Do you have the ISK to back up your words, or are you gonna have to wait on the revenue generated from the publication? &c,&c.

tl;dr the cart might be in front of the horse here; your revenue model and market strategy are kind of vague for you to be trashing wise input about your ā€œopinionā€ ā€œstories about organizations.ā€

Anyway, Iā€™ve been sitting here too long; Iā€™m gonna go make breakfast in bed for that rumbly tummy Iā€™m hearing. Kay, bye.

6 Likes

Hey, there Melisma. Congratulations on being able to write and self-congratulate. Iā€™m a firm believer that we should all have a healthy self-confidence to navigate the cluster.

Untrue. I did not dismiss Teinyhr, I simply did not invite others to question our subjects of interest. I put out an ad asking for writers, not one asking for opinions. Youā€™ll have plenty of opportunities to share your opinion once the first issue is released.

In addition to the publication wing of NEMA, I also oversee a large industrial effort that employs well over 1.2 million Gallente citizens of all origins. In particular, we specialize in Procurers, Skiffs, and, oddly enough, Catalysts, because they are our highest sellers. Iā€™m fairly certain, in this arena, I donā€™t need you to supply me with information. I know it, already.

I honestly donā€™t care whether you think the story is worthwhile or not. I wasnā€™t asking. I would think, as a writer, your comprehension level would be higher.

Obviously, if people feel the need to attack me before Iā€™ve even published. Good thing I struck a nerve, though. That is also good for business.

Good news, youā€™ve given me a new subject to research: Capsuleers, Elitist Ideologies, and the Hubris of Functional Immortality. Thanks!

Again, I didnā€™t come here looking for advice or opinions. I came looking for writers.

As far as my business dealings go, again, I wasnā€™t here to make assurances to anyone but those that may want to write for the publication. It matters very little what your opinion of my endeavor is, and even less if you believe I have the captial or not.

Again, the choice is simple: write for our publication, or donā€™t. Either way works for us.

You have a wonderful day, Ms. Ramijozana.

Surprise plot twist: The guy who thinks everyone else here is bad at PR is actually terrible at PR.

Have fun writing all your articles by yourself.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be so self-congratulatory considering your keep responding, therefore increasing my visibility. :wink:

Alternatively, if someone would like to write the opposing opinion with something more eloquent than, ā€œCODE. BAD. AHHHHHHH,ā€ weā€™d be happy to pay for that, as well.

I guess what Iā€™m saying is, in the lingo of the Alpha Bois and Grrlz these days, Proof or STFU? If your ā€œaward-winningā€ writing is any good, I may even kick you a bonus.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure you have the ISK to pay for that award-winning writing. The rewards she won for that writing were slightly more than what youā€™re offering, and that was written for people she doesnā€™t particularly dislikeā€¦ or, you know, who were at least a bit more diplomatic about it all.

Wow, I didnā€™t realize the capsuleers of New Eden were so sensitive, or imagined in any way that I cared.

I assure you, I can afford it.

Iā€™m running a business, not playing diplomatic genitalia holding to win your approval.

Dear gods, are all capsuleers really this narcissistic and pompous to imagine their attempted gate-keeping will work in any way?

Look, Iā€™m good at this. Really good. Believe that. Donā€™t believe that. Again, the more you pump up the awareness of this, the more Iā€™ll end up making. I very much appreciate the boost.

I would accuse you all of attempting to derail the conversation due to your politics, but Iā€™m honestly not sure how capable you people are of driving a conversation in that way. I think many of you suffer from severe mental health issues of chronic self-involvement.

Iā€™ll enjoy profiling you all.

Again, you can get paid for that or not, too.

Back to the original point of this topic, Iā€™m still looking for writers and itā€™s a paid gig.

1 Like

I just noticed this.

Yes, in addition to being of value to the capsuleer, I also intend for the ā€œbaselinersā€ to also have access. All for free, of course.

What I find curious is the derogatory use of the term ā€œbaselinersā€ in reference to non-capsuleers. From my time among these people, they have names, the feed us, they man our stations, they run our planetary facilities, they die for us.

Would you care to comment on how biased and bigoted this sounds, or is elitism among sentient beings something you endorse and embrace? Furthermore, how do you think the crews your employ among your own holdings would feel about the use of that term?

I would also like to point out that many of those ā€œbaselinersā€ are retired capsuleers. How do you imagine they would feel about you referring to them in that way?

On the record, of course. :wink:

Maverick, donā€™t get discouraged by all the rather messy banter here. Your initiative is good, but it will need to prove itself. And youā€™re undergoing the first test now sadly.
One of the reasons of the harshness is that there have been and still are many very biased reportings. What is a rally for freedom for one is the undermining of authority for another. The freedom fighter in one article is a terrorist by another announcement.

Keep in mind IGS is a political playground. Donā€™t get dragged down in arguments about details. Maintain professionalism at all times even if you are being dragged through the mud. Stay away from broad generalizations because they are future weapons in the hands of a select group of argument-loving capsuleers.

My current advice based on my experience is this:

• Stick to your subject. Donā€™t get derailed in arguments especially not petty ones.
  • If you go for a controversial topic, accept that you will catch alot of flak for it. Stick to your guns. Donā€™t go to deep in detail on the why, let your report/article on the controversial subject do the talking for you. And make it darn good then, donā€™t go for low hanging fruit like ā€˜destruction of property is good for the economyā€™ or ā€˜Blowing up ships is evil!ā€™.
  • Be diplomatic, many ways of life here & you canā€™t please everyone. Doesnā€™t mean you got to suck up, but try not to offend people & organisations directly & deliberately.
  • Donā€™t hide your bias. Might sound odd but if you claim to be true neutral & non-biased, people will just assume youā€™re biased to something & look at your articles that way which can lead to some messy arguments. Rather be open about your bias but also be aware of it. Donā€™t let it shine through in your articles when you have to write about something that doesnā€™t align with it.
    This also counts for any writer you employ or pay.

I wish you the best of success and I look forward to your first edition.

6 Likes