Have we don’t the math to see if the heavy water for the core is worth more/less then the extra mining rate gives ?
The compressor also uses Heavy Water
Ah thanks.
I finally had a moment to see the numbers of a Hulk with an Orca as well as running drones.
The yield reaches 100m³/s with max skills on everything (not accounting for drone travel time). This will shred through most rocks in no time. I was depleting rocks in about a minute each and would have to move to the next target.
A Hulk has a mining hold of 11,500m³. That’s just under two minutes from empty to full.
So you press one key about once every two minutes.
It’s more active than Orca mining, that’s for sure.
Nope. I’m clicking all the time. Every 20 to 30 seconds to stay on top of my mining so that i don’t get down time.
Where do you get 2 minutes?
This is what I wrote earlier. It’s a basic breakdown. There is more to it, but this covers it well enough. Even with compression, the Hulk’s mining hold is so small that it will STILL fill up. That’s why I move it to the Orca.
Edit: what i mean about the mining hold of the Hulk is this: it’s so small that you compress more and more often.
At first, you can compress in almost 2 minutes. Then you’re compressing every 1.5. Then you’re compressing after a minute. Then you’re compressing after 30 seconds. Then you’re running to a station to dump the compressed ore because you can’t hold anymore.
That’s how small the hold is on a Hulk. I haven’t done that in a long time so I don’t recall how long it takes, but it doesn’t take a long time.
That’s a very fair point.
11500m3 divided by 100m3/s means pressing the compress shortkey roughly once every 110-115 seconds.
In other words, about once every two minutes.
But that’s not all you do. Compressed ore still takes up space. Compressed ore will still fill up the entire hold of the Hulk.
Targets go away. Rocks disintegrate. Etc.
I can’t click a button every 2 minutes and keep mining. It just wouldn’t work. My lasers would shut off if I tried that.
Rocks last from 1 to 3 minutes. Compressed ore MUST be moved out of the Hulk or it fills up (even Compressed ore fills up the Hulk).
Targets must be assigned to keep mining going as you shred through rock after rock after rock.
That’s only what it looks like on paper.
I challenge any of you to actually mine in a Hulk with me providing Orca buffs. I will gladly do that.
It would be a fun exercise to see how often your lasers shut off- even if you don’t have max skills like I do. I would love to show up and hang out for this.
Maybe if you switched to ORE strip miners with less residue you wouldn’t need to swap aateroids so often!
Residue doesn’t bother me. I don’t mind the extra actions. I get more ore faster.
Oh and we can tell Aiko where we are mining. That’s part of the experience
Will you supply me the hull, fit, and LSIs?
Not for free. I’d supply the hull and fit, but not the injectors.
Surely big strong null sec guy could afford a tiny hulk right?
Um no, I’m a dainty little abyssal girl.
It occurred to me that you may have been thinking that i was complaining about the number of actions I take. I was not and i apologize for not being clear.
I was merely detailing out that I do not AFK mine. My mining experience is very active.
I will be trying that new chipset though. It’ll be interesting to see what the bonuses do for me as well as the reduced residue.
The new chipset definitely is worth using! I never even considered using the old scanner, but I cannot say no to extra yield and reduced residue in a mid slot item.

