Nested Replies disabled

it is confusing

It’s long, fer sure

1 Like

No, for now we do not see a use case for this being in every section of the forums. It is only in GD and OOPE as these are the higher traffic areas and were side conversations are much more likely.

1 Like

Mixed reviews, some good some bad. To answer one question i saw above: No, we are not looking to replace the entire EVE-O forums with this change. It is focused only on GD and OOPE as those are the two areas we see will benefit from this change the most.

I am looking into making improvements:

This is not a reddit replacement. Rather a reddit.. Hybrid? Nested replies may assist with side conversations that are technically still on topic but maybe not to the letter of the OP. This will (hopefully) allow a little more Off-Topic conversations without derailing the entire conversation and the subsequent nuking when a moderator comes along.

I will be looking into seeing if its possible to modify the default theme to widen the viewable area of the forums. This will probably only affect those of us on Desktop.

Thank you,

~Buldath

Edit: One of these long nested " Branches" Will be nuked as an experiment in the future so keep that in mind.

You talking to me? Are you talking to ME?

Ahh we’re all drunken buffoons?

Oh btw with this bird nest of a forum thread we can now just read the headings of every post without going into the post itself;

With this experiment running for a couple of days now I don’t think I like it.

It messes up the order of responses in a thread, makes it harder to follow where in a conversation I am and the layout also makes less efficient use of my screen on PC, while on mobile most of the top level responses are hidden.

I’m not a fan.

1 Like

Nuke one of my branches!!!

2 Likes

lets nuke this whole branch

1.d4 d5 2.e6

Are we hiding chess moves in this web of replies now?

1 Like

I have a negative review for this feature: nested replies have made character avatars much much smaller than they were on the old style. I am a visual person, I recognize who I’m talking to mainly from their avatar picture. I look at the thread and I immediately know who are the people corresponding t/here. These tiny avatars make it much harder to do, it is counterproductive and takes away from interaction with other members.

The avatar size should not be fiddled with! The old size was the minimum it should be.

And it is not a solution if I increase the zoom on the whole page. My zoom on the forums is usually at 90%. In order to get the avatar size back to normal, I have to zoom all the way to 300% !!! This clearly shows that the avatar size and font size are way out of proportion with each other. The whole site becomes illegible at that (images included).

Please stop experimenting with people’s CHARACTER PORTRAIT SIZES AND ASPECT RATIOS on the forums and in-game. I can’t stress this enough how disconcerting it is that the images that define one’s character in this game universe are being cropped, and mutilated for no good justification whatsoever.


Pictures.
Forums at my normal zoom 90%:

Forums at 300% – normal avatar size, but whole page is unusable:

Forums at old, normal style, with 90% zoom:

3 Likes

ya the sizing/spacing is really bad, same problem is seen ingame with character profiles

1 Like

I don’t think he meant it like ā€œthatā€, dear.

He’s gonna nuke me, just you wait and see!

In addition to that, I wanted to see if there had been any responses to this new post yet, but I could hardly find it back myself as it had been folded away.

Of course it’s not going to get responses this way.

I did stumble by accident upon a couple newer posts in this thread, but that’s not how I want my forum browsing to go.

Just a single linear thread with newest posts at one spot seems better to me.

I’ve noticed that because of the ā€˜top reply’ sorting this new style encourages quick one-liners and jokes over well-written longer posts as the former are easier to catch likes with, allowing the post to float to be the top response so it gets read by others.

Having to write for a popularity contest instead of quality is one of the things I dislike about reddit.

I wouldn’t want that to happen here too.

I find the new structure of nested replies much less readable than the old one.

Smaller portraits to recognize people, inconsistent indentation due to the ā€˜reply’ feature, lack of a clear line between posts of different people, non-linear responses where replies higher up in the thread can be referring to replies lower in the ranking, bad use of space, hard to find posts back or to figure out what a reply was referring to and when I’m on mobile phone a lot of the earlier relevant responses are collapsed by default making it hard to figure out where in a thread I am.

The more I see it the more I dislike it.

It seemed an interesting experiment, but could it be reversed?

2 Likes

Can we… make this optional? I get the appeal of a Reddit reply but… can we view posts chronically? Like an actual online forum? The way these guys do it SpaceBattles?

And no setting it chorological doesn’t give us the old format. A tier 3 reply will not appear on the bottom if there are tier 1 replies, even if those tier 1 replies are older.

Let us have ā€œforumā€ as a default view and give people the option of nested replies.

1 Like

Wait nests don’t go more than 2 layers down? That’s actually worse than useless. If you’re going to have a waterfall it should be a thread ant not a partial thread. Partial nesting is the worst of both worlds, that’s just stupid/