For once I agree with a sentiment like this. Any time someone says “change this feature to make it easier on mobile (implicitly making stuff worse for PC users sicne so much of the web got turned to ■■■■ trying to appeal to mobile users)” I want to throw a book, but yeah I agree with your thoughts.
Further issues:
1-- I can’t find the last chronological post anymore. The thread gets bumped to the top but the last reply is now buried somewhere in the tree branches and there is no practical way to find it. Sometimes, even though I may have disregarded or missed some side conversation initially, I still want to be able to read the replies. It might pique my interest later on.
2-- whenever I open a nested reply thread I always have to change the ‘‘sort by’’ setting again. I want these threads to be displayed chronologically, old posts at the top, new at the bottom. And it doesn’t remember this setting. It would be extremely annoying to have to change this setting every single time I open the thread, and it will probably decrease my forum usage, if these nested threads become global/permanent.
Overall judgment: I prefer the old forum style. New would have potential in some applications, but I personally don’t think it’s suited for EVE forums.
And what’s with all this dead space on the sides?
It’s not even a request just for mobile phone usage.
I read the forums on mobile phone about as much as on my PC. And I dislike this nested layout on both, each with their own annoyances.
“You are viewing a single thread from this topic.” - what does that mean, I do not understand at all
What do you mean? You can close all the nested replies, or side conversations. There is the ‘-’ button which does that.
This. It’s totally inconvenient to read.
From space to just to make sure.. Anyone know how to contact Bill Paxton from the other side.. We need Private Hudson.
Getting longer. Headache immediate..
I am now branching.. Anyone know whether I need to make a left at Albuquerque?
I posted in this thread and so it keeps popping up on my unreads, but then I come here and it’s unclear as to what is new to me in the thread.
Needs some kind of clear indicator of what is new and what is not and an easy way to jump to the next new bit.
I’m just not reading it because of this.
lol yeah, I am totally unable to find my own replies. what the heck?
Your nested replies seem to break beyond the 4th nesting layer. So in effect we got the worst of both worlds. I’d rather have pure chronological as a default view (which a link from a reply to the comment it was replying to as always) and nests as an option, but if you’re going to commit to nests, make them work for arbitrary resursions.
The nested threads are really becoming tedious, not for the nesting, but for the sorting, as you have no globally default setting for the post sorting and also if you change it, it is not saved for the next time you visit the thread.
The sorting option needs at the very minimum a global preference in the user profile to set the default and preferably also a saving of the setting by thread if you modified it.
Bad sorting is just one of many issues I now have with the nested replies.
Fixing sorting still doesn’t make me like it.
Could we go back?
So, can we stop this failed experiment at some point? Holy moly it doesn’t need a scientific peer review to see clearly on the first glance that this stuff is incredibly awful. I mean, we don’t talk about minor issues here… the whole topic became a simple mess.
Not a fan of it on mobile
At this point is how many branches can you make.. Hey, I started a new branch..
What are we doing today, Brain?
What we do everyday, Pinky. Make more branches to take over the world. Or start a bonfire which ever comes first..
Why is this even necessary?
When I reply to someone in a nested thread, it (sometimes?) throws me onto a page which shows only my reply and the post I replied to. In order to return to the whole thread, I have to push a button ‘‘view full topic’’. This is weird. Not to mention completely unnecessary. Never seen this type of thing anywhere else before.
This thread is just gala
Just exactly how long will this ‘Nested Replies’ experiment be happening?
I sincerely hope it doesn’t get implemented but if it does, should also implement an ‘Opt-Out’ option with it… If not then you’ll just chase even more community members away…
Unless that’s the ultimate goal, chase away posters so you can then say the ‘Official Eve Online Forums’ will be shut down due to low amount of community engagement…
And if that’s the case, then you might as well bury this dead corpse of a forum now…
DMC
o7