New launcher... new Linux error?

One thing I wanted to add, CCP Bartender recommended switching to the beta release channel on the launcher so we can get a head start identifying and solving bugs before they hit stable. I’ve already switched and I recommend others do the same so we can get out in front of it next time

2 Likes

Was going to ask if anybody on Lutris tried installing a recent launcher update… but decided to risk it myself and report it. Unfortunately… its not working :slight_smile: so now I have to go and redo the installation with the old launcher, which is working though in a weird way, but works.

Fresh install on Ubuntu 20 with steam installed, only issue i have is not able to properly setup the .Desktop file to run, i am running eve via terminal command … works fine on linux , some of my problems may be how i have permissions and directories setup but thats ok with me, ill tinker some more and learn how not to have daggling commands … stay safe, good luck, no wine glass either :slight_smile:

Glad i got it working on 6.14 staging, I wonder if CCP knows how many subscribers actually run linux.

Even if it’s much more common than in other games, I’m betting it’s still a tiny percentage of the overall playerbase sadly

So, I dont know how I did it, but Lutris started working again. I imagine it will do the same thing it has been doing to me, having to install it everyday (it doesnt take more than 5mins, but is annoying).

New issue Im having is that I cannot move the launcher from my usual place at my 2nd monitor, which is not a big problem. But now the clients all launch at 1024x768 and cant resize them to my usual Full HD for the main and 1366x768 for the alt accounts. No idea what it is, even changing the res on the settings doesnt change the size of the client, I can only maximize by double click on top bar. I tried resizing with mouse on corners or on top (this happened also on my linux launcher, but there it allowed me to resize it with mouse no problems), but no way to manually to resize it. Maybe tomorrow behaves different… I’ll report.

This launcher appears to need Steam

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
Received signal 6

You can use the standard launcher now, as long you are using current Wine staging. No steam needed. See:

this has been pointed out in the past, the launcher checks for seam accounts when it starts up.

Now it seems, that steam is no longer supporting EVE on linux

With Lutris (dxvk + esync) is still working, with issues but works. Cant resize windows, its either 1024x700 or maximized, but otherwise works fine, and less cpu usage than the linux launcher. I’m forgoing the launcher update though, and I dont know how much longer it will work, but right now it does.

Can you post which version of the launcher and game is having issues? That would be helpful for troubleshooting

1 Like

The one Not Backed by WINE. Steam is waste of time they care about as much as CCP

Thank you for this.
Any idea when stock proton on steam will be updated with this?

1 Like

I have abandoned the linux launcher and switched to windows launcher wine-staging 6.15-1 and vulkan on Arch Linux. The issues I had with the linux launcher (f.ex graphics glitches black shader boxes, crashes) do not happen with the windows launcher and no problem experienced yet.

Thanks for the work on wine to make this work, it is appreciated.

1 Like

What’s ‘vulkan’ ?

Vulkan is cross-platform graphics library for 3D and has a low overhead and provides high performance for games on linux. On linux, vulkan libraries for the graphics card are installed and then in wine, winetricks is used to install vulcan (dxvk).

1 Like

DXVK makes for less CPU usage on EVE, specially when running multiple clients :slight_smile: I have to research how to implement DXVK to wine, as it would do what I get with Lutris, and Id like to see if I also see less ALT problems. Linux launcher for now is a nightmare of ALT stuck issues, which I dont have with Lutris, for some unknown reason…

It’s really easy:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/eve/prefix setup_dxvk install --symlink --without-dxgi

Done

4 Likes

But, dont I need to install first winetricks? I heard about that but unsure.

Also, I guess that code line would be added to the linux launcher?

I imagine that if its applied to the launcher, all clients I launch would benefit no matter the profile Im using (I run a high details profile for my main, and a more standard medium looking for the other 4 clients).