New player scamming - mass invite spammers

Yeah, I’m not buying it.

You were never a part of this. While I don’t discount the possibility that you could be some kind of “born again” carebear who saw the light and is atoning for the sins of his dark days, your arguments are in direct contrast with my extensive experience in this field.

It’s stolen valor, and I’m not going to put together large volumes of empirical evidence for an argument with someone who’s not being honest.

In the end, the same fate awaits us all; either I’ll keep killing players while you cry about it on the forums, or CCP will finally put the final nail on the coffin for nonconsensual PvP, and I’ll leave because I’m bored and you’ll leave because your trit is worth .01 ISK per unit.

The only difference is that I had fun the entire time, while you complained the entire time. I’d consider that a victory.

1 Like

But your whole point is that most of the people engaging in wars (and ganking, etc) aren’t “decent players”. Changing incentives only works as a proposal if you concede that most people engaging in wars are legitimate players following the incentives of the system, not griefers and sociopaths who can only win against helpless newbies.

This answers pretty much your whole post. so pretend I copy-pasted if for the second part as well.

It doesn’t, because people who want to win at killboard stats are still “decent players”. They are playing the sandbox in a way that you personally don’t enjoy, but that doesn’t make their activity any less legitimate. So you can’t just claim that “decent players will change” when those decent players are already ignoring the non-killboard objectives that currently exist.

1 Like

I am against it. I understand that some players that might have joined a scammer corp quit because of it, but I think that’s a non issue.

Scamming is a part of EVE’s trademark in my opinion. And these scams happen inside of the players own created and ruled sandbox. I don’t want CCP to interfere in that.

There’s still the option to NOT join those people who send you mass invite mails. So even if I dislike this type of scam, I think there’s no action needed by CCP

1 Like

Scamming itself is not the issue but who is being targeted is.

I agree with you 100% but there is a reason that in society we try to protect young people more than adults from vices and evils of the world.

I think this is what I and most for this concept are saying.

4 Likes

Yes, I see and I understand.

But this is EVE, you have to be ready to loose everything to everyone as soon as you hit the LogIn button in the launcher. This game is not made for casual players.

I don’t want to scare away new players, but I think that the problem in the OP is just solved by common sense.

Maybe an option in the game code that forbids spamming players age <= 1 month could solve something .

O7

2 Likes

Heck, even a huge flashing pop-up when a new player (less than X months old) tries to leave a NPC corp for a player corp…

All I want is something that when people come here complaining that as a new player they got scammed, we can point to it and say “CCP warned you…tough-s&#% noob”…

Right now I don’t feel that’s the case…but ya, we’re on he same page.

o7

1 Like

Runa,

I made this an idea in the player ideas forum: Popup window that warns new players who leave starter corp

1 Like

Nice one…

:+1:

Of course they do. Think about it.

You are a new player, in one of these crap corps. One guy is spamming evemails that say that this corp sucks and to join the other better corps out there. But you, in your brand new retreiver, just go out and join a mining op and sell your ore back to the director at 60% jita prices. What little money you make is enough because youre new and dont know any better.

Or.

You are a new player, in one of these crap corps. A corpmate just comes in and destroys your ship, then proceeds to explain why this corp is crap. You complain to your director. After all, you just lost a ship youve been mining for days, even maybe weeks for. Now, your director has two options.

1). He can think “I dont care, join another corp lulz”.

2). He can think “Oh, this is a problem, im gonna have to do something about it”.

Its not like new players provide a one time fee for joining the corp, and then never ever give anything else to the corp ever again. They give taxes, they give ore at reduced rates, etc etc. And all of this is contingent upon the player staying in the corp.

So yes, in order to milk out as much as they can, scam corps do have to care to a certain degree about the new players. You cant make isk from a player that leaves.

This is absolutely what happens, and I can cite actual examples of this very thing happening.

You dont think that there are no major organization has a specific corp set up to train and recruit new players?

In case you didnt realize, the whole point of this thread was to ask what can be done about new player scamming.

When someone provides you with a suggestion, and you discuss it with them, its not called whining, its called a discussion.

I get that you dont like where this argument is going, but simply dismissing someone as a troll or a whiner when they are actually engaged in a discussion with you and are countering your points only makes your position look weak.

By the way, Im a navy seal.

I’m tempted to create an alpha just to report on SICO.

I realise Lucas is very bitter about what happened during his time in a null sec corp, but I never found any exploitation in my time. Unless one counts the expectation to take part in the occasional op to be exploitation.

2 Likes

I created a new toon for a thing Im doing.

Plopped him into one of my existimg corps. Flew to career agents.

Within 5 mins of entering system got spammed 3 times.

Guess who two of the three were wearing as alliance tags.

To him abusing new players by corp mechanics is fine… as long as no wardec is involved.

The moment you started responding to Lucas… he doesn’t even undock (by his own admission!)

I was just thinking about this as a scam the other day. Not that I would do it, but just the thought of it seemed lucrative. Funny I see this post now.

I reserve the right for prejudice against Amarrian priests that mistreat Minmatar slave children. :japanese_goblin:

2 Likes

I’ve removed some off topic posts. Keep it civil and on topic, thanks.

1 Like

The actions that led to Naari/Noori/etc getting kicked from his corp and wars being declared against ICANP/SICO are 100% on topic here, especially given the fact that ICANP/SICO are very prominent examples of the behavior criticized in the OP.

2 Likes

That post is here. The ones veering into discussion of religion are not.

2 Likes

There is no God but Talos and James 315 is his prophet.

/me beheads a carebear

1 Like

Naari/Noori/etc and his “religion” (AKA creepy rape apologist manifesto with “god” attached to it) are entirely on-topic as his persistent attempts to get all of his corp members to buy his “religious text” were a major factor in these conflicts, and getting a captive audience for his sales pitch was one of the main reasons he was spamming mass invites as fast as possible.