Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

To be clear, my comments were meant to be serious discussion, but they were also as hypothetical as your own initial scenario. At no point did I expect you would actually try and send someone to arrest me.

I hope you like chocolate cake.

1 Like

I know, lovely. But we have to keep smiling through the existential pain of realising our universe is controlled by interstellar cuttlefish dressed as lizard-people operating out of a chain of Fedo-themed restaurants while trying to control everyoneā€™s minds through smoothies.

Remember what they say on GalNet, lovely: Joke, Judge, Justify!

1 Like

Cheesecake.

1 Like

The proposition is becoming hypnotic. Each time through I notice a new detail, and find myself wanting our universe to be controlled by interstellar cuttlefish.

However, does that qualify as its own form of mind control?

2 Likes

Isnā€™t it just so! I canā€™t answer your question because I fear we have the same ones, lovely, but you put it so much more eloquently than I ever couldā€¦

2 Likes

All hypnosis is self hypnosis, darlings! The wants, the desires, the burning, aching needs are all within us all the time. Our little minds tuck them into hidden places - until there is a change of brain phaseā€¦ something or other.

Psychologists have a term for it.

But whenever that phase thing happens, due to, you know, rhythmic, repetitive, soothing, intriguing patterns, the mind opens the doors to all those secret rooms, the occupants peek into connecting hallways and wave at one another, then suddenly the Federation has a new president who can take it places no Federation has gone before.

And darling, seriously, when it comes to tight textual packages, oh my goodness, ā€œsmiling through the existential pain of realising our universe is controlled by interstellar cuttlefishā€ is absolutely fabulous. Absolutely. Fabulous.

Thatā€™s true even if we do turn out to be the cuttlefish ourselves, sweeties!

Tangentially, my apologies to New(velle?) Hueromont for any infrastructure damages which may have occurred as a result of two old crones having a night on the town. Filling rooms full of skinny J-MPop wannaones who pretend to enjoy your company so that you purchase more, more expensive alcohol is an inspired business model - but it does bring with it the risk of things getting out of hand.

Tangent to both the topic and the tangent of planetary infrastructure, only Iā€™m not sure you can have a tangent to a straight line, years ago I tucked the Epithal into a hidden room in my mind and forgot all about it because a planetary infrastructure ship that canā€™t carry a planetary command center is ridiculous, is it not? I didnā€™t even realize it had been fixed, because I had forgotten it existed at all! These are the things that happen when you are a few hundred years old and might be a space cuttlefish without realizing it.

2 Likes

Triglavian space?

Or maybe the great Cuttlefish Consortium?

1 Like

Embezzlement is a crime!

Iā€™m sure most people know that.

The question is, at what position of power is to no longer considered a crime, but standard business practice?

Any authority that violates a law becomes illegal authority.

Hypothetical here. Suppose I work for a bakery, and I baked 12 blueberry muffins. I put 11 out to sell, but kept one for myself.

Would that be considered embezzlement, and if so, what, in your opinion Miss Kim, should be the punishment?

2 Likes

That would be theft, not embezzlement. Petty theft in this case. An appropriate penalty would be a fine based on the value of the item and limited jail time (A few months at most, typically.)

I love muffins, darlings!

Crime and Punishment are the domain of Authority, of course. In our thought experiment (which would never happen in the real world), there is a single ultimate authority. If the single ultimate authority wants to take a muffin, it is by definition legal.

At first glance, it might seem like everyone under the ultimate authority who takes a muffin is committing a crime. However, the ultimate authority knows they are taking muffins. The ultimate authority knows all. The muffin takers survive because they are not taking solely for themselves. They hold their muffins on behalf of the ultimate authority (who put them in their positions). The moment they take a muffin solely for themselves, they are shot as proof the ultimate authority will not tolerate crime of any kind.

I didnā€™t realize your name was Diana Kim.

So embezzlement is not a form of theft?

Thatā€™s my name, by the way!

5 Likes

And nobody wears it better, darling!

4 Likes

Would it matter if you owned the bakery, lovely? As owner, wouldnā€™t that become your profit? Or do I mean prophet? Iā€™m not sure I even know anymoreā€¦

The question every Caldari must ask himself is not ā€œIs my speech free?ā€ It is, ā€œIs my speech heiian?ā€

This is our Way.

2 Likes

It is not, my name is Remilia.

Embezzlement is a form of theft, just not the one described. If you pocketed the money given to you for the sale of a muffin, it would be embezzlement. Stealing the muffin itself is not.

1 Like

And what a lovely name it is too, Remi!