Patch Notes for March 2020 Releases

As an industrialist you are out of luck. Imagine building a big ship which takes 1 week to build (not counting component-building time), only to put on the market and be cut down in price a few times times … now if u still want to sell it, prepare to sell it as a loss if u have to relist it 3 or 4 times.
In the end, why would you go and manufacture for the market? If you can’t find a group of people to sell to, why build them at all? To earn 1% profit? At most?

5 Likes

The same logic applies to raw material sales as well. While the invested cost to harvest and process is low it is still a question of whether the final payout was worth the time and effort. I think I will be doing a lot more PvE for a while.

1 Like

I don’t often comment or criticize, but who came up with this model for modifying market transactions??

I get that changing a sell order should cost a bit more than the fixed 100 ISK. In fact I would prefer that so I don’t have to go through 100+ orders to keep updating prices all the time.

But 7 million to make a minor change on a single faction Battleship order? 100k ISK to change an order for a few simple T1 drones? Two price changes and your entire profit is gone. As a model: Build a faction BS, put it on market. Assume a 4% profit margin on a 500 million ship (which is average these days), that’s 20 million. You already lost about 15 million in build cost alone and another 25-30 million in taxes and broker fees. And suddenly, you are undercut by someone by a few ISK. It’s not that you want to change the price, you NEED to change the price. But now it costs 6+ million EVERY time. Make more than 3 changes and it’s a loss.

This will turn EVE market into one that is solely controlled by rich buyers and big volume suppliers. All but the biggest producers (alliances?) will be forced to adjust to BUY rather than SELL prices, meaning eventually the richest buyers will control prices. The only people who will be able to survive in trade are the big alliances with access to lots of resources. Every single small production/trading operation will be in trouble when their stock of sell orders grows too large, they run out of cash and will not be able to follow the price drops without turning every transaction into a loss. Whoever came up with this??

Come to think of it, this is kind of like the real world equivalent of Amazon pushing smaller companies out of business by undercutting everything/controlling prices and making deals with the biggest producers. Everyone else who produces or trades suffers. Even independent/small mining operations will not escape the effect, as those are effectively the people the smaller producers purchase from.

Furthermore in EVE it is virtually impossible to create a new (niche) market (as we cannot truly create actual market content), which you can do in the real world to survive, making it virtually impossible to create a unique selling proposition or service. And in the real world at least businesses can decide to drop their prices and take a hit to their profits, without having to incur additional (and percentage-wise truly unreasonable) tax increases.

Multiple taxation on the same item without the ability to innovate or make new products/markets is bad for business…

The problem with this new broker fee model is that it effectively acts like taxing things multiple times, which is really a bad idea. This was not well thought through in my opinion… I’m still doing the math but with every refinement the situation looks worse and worse. And my broker skills are maxed out. At this point I expect this will literally put me out of business.

17 Likes

Well, no content posts will never have impact :smiley: Mine and yours are two of them ghighighi

Level 2 is Nowheresville. Most people probably don’t even run enough L2’s to see all the missions, so what’s the point?

And when you are playing the 2% marging game, well, you are toasted. I wonder how PLEX and injectors trading will adapt…

3 Likes

THX ccp planing those tax changes on markt ist the best strategy to losse all players who want only to do deals on markt and do manufacture . I ask u CCP what a super economic brain got this perfect idea and calculated thoughts and put it in this game ?

3 Likes

What I’m saying the margins will quickly decrease to that number or less. Industrialists won’t be bothered with the market anymore, as competition among themselves and other traders will bring their profits close to 0%. i was replying to the industrialist guy above.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what i understood, and i just added that traders who were already on those kind of margins had their businesses totally obliterated. I’m really curious about what is going to happen on those markets.

1 Like

shut up
you never had Money for subscription.

The market changes will also kill regional markets. Jita has enough volume that you might be OK if you don’t adjust an order that’s not at the top of the book. In regional markets, there isn’t enough volume to be confident your order will ever sell if you don’t adjust it. So, why bother to sell in regional markets if you know you are going to have to adjust your orders and that will kill your profits?

4 Likes

I don’t know, but do you know what worries me as well? The market trading is the biggest ISK sink in the game. If the market volume falls enough to not be able to match and compensate the current pre-patch isk sink amounts, we will have inflation, because they will be “nerfing” the biggest ISK sink they’ve got.

In a sad way I am looking forward to breaking out the popcorn and watching the house shake. I am doing that in RL politics here so the game seems to be acting like RL too. The good thing is that there are plenty of other ways to enjoy my retirement if this game doesn’t continue to be fun. So far it remains entertaining even with this. Warm up the microwave!

4 Likes

You missed the OPs point, previous posts said that WTB (bids) in the market before the change would be modifiable after the change. Now the patch notes say that old orders are immodifiable.

Which they just did.

3 Likes

You’ll have to wait for @ccp_leggybro to get that finished.

Hoping the 3 new level 2 missions are merely the start of a proof of concept stage for a mission generator or the sign of dev assets being assigned to revitalizing a decade old stagnation of mission running. Either would be welcomed, but I’m fearing it may be merely a bone thrown out in hopes it quiets one area of player discontent.

2 Likes

I’ve not played in ages but isn’t there a player owned market structure? Do these structures also have to pay the new taxes on modifying an order? Seems a like yet another retarded idea implemented - bravo CCP and the CSM.

1 Like

I wrote about kicking starting and small industrialists and traders out of business to the DevBlog thread more than week ago. Nobody cares.
I will try to predict a little more. :slight_smile:
Selling prices will grow up to 100% of new buying prices, which drops 30-50%. This is caused by big fish forcing their customers to pay the new CCP trading tax. They simply need to have more space for to be able to pay relist fee at least 10 times before having a loss.
4 digits tick causes stagnant prices of the same value instead .01 of PVP trade game. This PVP trader game is now destroyed. Industrialist simply cannot put the product lower than its resources and cannot afford relist fee. Result will be stagnant stupid World of Warcraft type auction hall instead of living EVE economy.
New players will not enter industrialist or trader careers, cause CCP just taxed those to death. More and more small miners, industrialists and traders will exit the business, maybe even the game. And when you have less of those, monopoly of big ones will skyrocket the prizes, causing even more inflation. And there is the question if those big ones will even be able to supply enough the market.
So CCP, when you taxed the market to death, it kills the rest of the game soon as well.

EDIT: Ah, and one more thing: people will find the way, how to avoid those taxes. First idea is to have external market somewhere and then change wares through direct trade. So, CCP, you just have created grey economy. Maybe you should ask some economist what Laffer curve is.

4 Likes

Do we even know what the 3 new ones are?