Photon UI - General Feedback

Let alone the UI, the skills menu is trash, how do people function with this menu? What are these class skills? You broke all the good stuff, go back to ui before skill menu was wrecked. What a joke.

2 Likes

Thanks for not trolling.

That Eagles picture is very funny.

When my drones are assisting someone, I can’t tell what they are doing to assist that someone.
In the previous UI, I could see my drone was assisting someone, and I could see what it was attacking or doing.
The photon UI is completely lacking information on what my drones are shooting.

3 Likes

Wow… The new UI is horrible, why are we stuck with that ? There’s a reason i opted out originaly…

This change is so bad it made me comment on the forums for the first time in 13 years, and there were a lot of bad changes in the last 13 years.

Now that i’m stuck with this awful UI i kinda regret subbing for a whole year las week.

Give us the option to change it back, there was no reason to change something people have gotten used to for years/decades and change the position of buttons too… Recalling probes went from a really obvious big button to the top left to a small annoying crappy design that’s not user friendly and barely visible.

This isn’t a mobile game, the new UI feels like it’s made for a Tablet.

4 Likes

I think it early enough that if you cancel your subscription you might get at least a partial refund.

1 Like

I told you if you forced me to use this shite I was done.

You did.

I am.

Nice job.

4 Likes

Why!? CCP Why?!?
How can anyone in their right mind say that the new UI is better?!?
I can’t believe someone has been working on this for years and none but none of his colleagues have come up and said hey dude this is horrible, screw this let’s not waste any more time on this, does anyone else have any new ideas!?!?!
Is this some boss’s idea and no one had the balls to tell him!?!?
Do you have eyes for God’s sake!?!?!
Have you ever played EVE on a laptop???
And on my other 24 inch monitor everything has increased!!!
Everyone tells you that it is huge, that it has increased, that it is terrible and you are persistent and persistent!!!
Whyy???

6 Likes

The overview information not being separated with lines, and the new font is more difficult to read quickly. Market order blue vs green is barely noticeable upon quick glance.

Right clicking in space and trying to select a celestial to warp/align to does not highlet correctly in menu, but the sub menus (AKA secondary drop down menus do). Notice how Asteroid Belts is not highlighted, nor does Planets, Stargates, Structures or Anomalies. Yet The unique identifier “MJ-5F9 - Asteroid Belt 1” does highlight and so does “Show Info” or “Show Solar System in Map Browser.”

2 Likes

While I’m glad the compact aspect seems to have been somewhat fixed, a bunch of stuff remains to be tackled - real bad stuff.

The new UI lacks colour theming or customization entirely (the relevant part of the settings is still there, lol). This wouldn’t be a problem, if it was at least NEUTRAL (it’s blue-tinted, which is quite literally the worst option possible) and buttons weren’t flat with little to no border and colours that melt into the background. The fact that EVERYTHING is flat, without gradients at all doesn’t help either. Add to this that notifications are entirely forgettable (they’re usually red for a REASON) and you have a complete, messy fustercluck.

Brighter neutral colours allow the user to more easily differentiate between clickable and not clickable at a glance. Gradients naturally provide “auto-targeting” for the eyes - the eye, attention and brain slide down the gradient towards a focus point without any effort. Colours less heavily leaning on blue are softer on the eyes in all regards and allow another layer of UI clarity (for instance, the in-station menu used to have a yellow Undock button, which, being one of the only yellow elements of the entire UI, made it EXTREMELY visible and easy to navigate to. Now, you need to REMEMBER where everything is and ACTIVELY PROCESS the data, both memory and visual, to be able to navigate. This wastes energy and time in non-negligible amounts as well as placing even heavier strain on the eyes).

Conclusions: the new UI is less readable, harsher on the eyes and less instinctive to process at a glance. I don’t know how anyone in the UX department thought it was okay to port mobile/smartphone UI concepts to large monitors/computer screens, but this entire photon UI endeavor could very well serve as a master class of hostile design.

This feels like change for the sole sake of change - not even considering the drawbacks of said change. Much like these very forums - I really don’t see why you’d go out of your way to have some poor web dev overhaul ALL of this front-end code for… fancy visuals? There’s really no good reason to block browsers not even 2 years old from accessing these forums completely. Nobody needs all of these fancy overlay text editors or what-have-you, they bring little to nothing to non-mobile users, yet here they are for some reason - and if you don’t want them, you won’t get them! Since you’ll be blocked from even logging in.

5 Likes

old ui dscan
photon ui dscan

REALLY unhappy to find a forced transition to photon UI today! One particular point of annoyance for me is the change to range and angle bars on the dscan window. When I’m hunting for targets in space I want to be able to adjust my dscan cone as fast as possible. Separating the bars to be side-by-side rather than stacked will slow down this process, in which seconds matter.

4 Likes

Backend syntax not hidden on the network monitor window

1 Like

Agree.

1 Like

Yep, this was repeatedly reported months ago, with other issues.

CCP just ignored all of it. I see no meaningful improvements with the UI - only things that were useful, and they are now gone.

please allow the option again to use the old version, I am sure the 6 people that actually do like the new UI won’t object.

2 Likes

The Price History graphs without horizontal lines makes relative price comparison over a period of time more difficult to spot.

1 Like

Phton ui is insaluble. Now i need to force my vision to play the game,
It tooks only few minutes to make me a terrible headache and eyes pain and tearful.

Sorry but after more than 10 years, i need close Eve online and dont open more, my health is more important that any space / sci game.

Fly safe guys

2 Likes

PhotonUI is totally unusable. I know, that CCP will not pay any attention on these posts, they are not playing their game. Please, hire good UI designer at least.

It’s amazing CCP released this, celebrated it, and forced it on everyone. Do they even talk to actual players?

I mean, come on. They need to get some people in there who actually play the game and talk to them about how to improve it.

1 Like

lol, you still pvp in a game that is designed for admiring the nice landscape. you are stuck in ‘old eve’, adopt to ‘new eve’