Photon UI - Now in Beta (Opt-Out)

I’m just going to address this particular response as it’s literally the most unhelpful thing I’ve ever read on these forums and that is saying a lot given the general quality of posting on the EvE forums.

“Naysaying” as you put it, is perfectly valid feedback. It doesn’t have to be inevitable and absolutely shouldn’t be inevitable given the state of this post. CCP may well go ahead and do it in spite of the negativity around it on this post, but that just means they are ignoring their customers, which is a very dangerous thing to do in any business.

Notifications are pointless, not everyone will, should or has to read everything that CCP release on their game and it’s not reasonable to expect everyone to read every patch notes. If you do, then good for you, but as with most things, if it is not explicit then a lot of people will miss it, and it’s not unreasonable to expect something to actually be forced to be acknowledged before forcing a large scale change of this nature on everyone. I didn’t get any warnings that I had to acknowledge. Given it broke my neocom and my ui and I’ve spent over an hour putting it back? This doesn’t seem unreasonable, but I guess it’s better to look down from your ivory castle than acknowledge a legitimate complaint. Kind of what CCP do whenever they force the “inevitable” on people, as you previously mentioned.

I don’t watch Fanfest, I don’t read absolutely every patch note that comes out because most of the changes don’t directly affect me, or don’t affect me in a big way. I work a lot of hours and I want to relax and I have better things to do with my time (in my opinion) than try and sift through reams of CCP’s terrible (and occasionally brilliant) ideas. That does not mean that I should have a massive UI change forced on me. A simple warning box when I login telling me it’s coming would have been sufficient, much like the wonderful daily login prizes which demonstrate it’s possible.

As for feedback on the interface,

Where did the approximate value of items in your inventory window go? Was it accurate? No. Did it give an at-a-glance rough idea of how much loot was worth? Yes. That makes it valuable.

The windows take up far too much real estate. Even at 90%, they are still far too big, far too clunky and remove information that I had in the old ui.

Fix the broken Neocom. I had it set up how I liked it and now I’m having to put it all back how it was. Don’t force changes on people that break their basic setup.

The thickness of the borders is borderline obscene. There is literally no reason they need to be that thick, it’s just taking up real estate for no reason.

The icons are somehow much smaller than the old icons, despite the window being bigger. This is an interesting design paradox and I would love to know how you accomplished making the icons look more busy, harder to discern and smaller in a larger interface. You should genuinely give lessons in terrible UI design.

Why do I need icons for my drones? I know which drone is which and having a thumbnail icon just allows me access to less information than I had previously as I need the drone window to be bigger to see them all.

The probe window is terrible, god why is the full system map icon so small? It took me a couple of minutes to actually find the return my probes icon. Jesus what is wrong with you people? Same as above. Somehow the icons are both smaller and less clear in a bigger ui. How?

An opt-out beta is fine, I have no issues with an opt out beta, but you have to make it clear that it’s coming. Not in release notes, not in fanfest, which in spite of some people’s beliefs, not everyone watches. Strangely enough I play eve casually. My entire life does not revolve around this game and I have better things to do with my time than sort this nonsense.

To the person I am replying to, when you talk about “inevitable” changes that the community doesn’t like, the end result can be one of two things once you get to a certain point and a certain number of forced changes. You can either fix it A La No Man’s Sky or FFXIV, which both took the feedback and reinvented their games.

Alternatively you can take the Google Stadia route and ignore the feedback, and eventually, your product will just die. Changes are not inevitable, they have to pass your customer bases acceptance tests. If I am the only one with a problem. Then I’m likely the problem and I can take my business elsewhere if it’s a deal breaker. When it’s a large scale unacceptable change? Well… There are plenty of businesses that demonstrate what happens if you ignore customer discontent for too long. EvE has demonstrated it pretty well in the past itself.

10 Likes

That looks like it does what I manually indicated above. Scripting it was the next step, this saves me doing that, thank you. :slight_smile:

The one fun bit I’m having with it as a process at present is that if the main has access to a chat channel but the alt characters don’t , it tries every time you log the alt characters on to open the channel, and that then fails. It’s a small issue, but it’s just frustrating.

So, what I’m going to do is go to my main, close all chats, then copy that character’s file to a master, and then use that as the source for the rest. Any time I want to make a change, I’ll just have to remember to follow that additional step (closing the chats) before creating the master and then refreshing it to the other characters.

A PITA, but better than any other solution at present. Certainly better than anything CCP have done for us in this area.

3 Likes

The Photon UI is a nuisance. I opted out immediately. Too bad the “update” also has a negative impact on the older and as until the pre-patch reliable UI like erratically appearing red-dots in the UI and chat windows which cannot be closed.
There is so much stuff that needs be fixed in Eve. I can’t understand why CCP keeps throwing recources at graphical changes that nobody needs and nobody asked for.
My suggestion: fix the broken game economy first. Might even help with the PCU that has been dipping hard for a long period of time already.

7 Likes

They could still have a say, if they care at any level, or tell us if they are doing anything about it with CCP. After all, this is a big change, and they are supposed to give some representation of the player base to CCP.
None of this would involve any break of NDAs.

1 Like

I think photon UI comes together now, and it will make a decent replacement. Not a lot of complaint from my side.
What I don’t get though, is where did the rest of the character menu go?
These are the only tabs I get when opening the char sheet?

Also, this is the worst change so far, and I don’t understand why it has been done. I’m assuming because of lack of gaming experience. Bookmarks from your current system should NOT be hidden in yet another sub menu.
It was perfectly fine in the old UI where I could directly click/access bookmarks in the same system from the right click root path.

I have spent about 5 hours of play time this previous week using just Photon. I set all the windows I could to compact. Today I loaded the traditional UI back up to compare. Felt like coming home to something better. Photon takes simplicity into the realm of blandness. I can see how “lowering the cognitive load” is useful for new players learning in the AIR missions, but it really kills a lot of fascinating detail and compact informational icons of the traditional UI. Photon seems to waste space too with wide black borders and expansive spacing of text. The new chat tabs are difficult to appreciate, taking up more screen and offering less functionality, such as no longer blinking for new activity. The scanning window has become strangely scrambled. To me, the over-riding theme of Photon appears to be disconnected text floating in a cold dark vacuum. It’s really sterile and hence not interesting, which is ironic since Eve is a richly detailed and awe-inspiring game. I sincerely hope using Photon outside of AIR continues to be optional.

8 Likes

So I mostly like the new UI and I will probably continue using it. I have the following feedback:

• If you have a pilot set Red it is very difficult to see if they have red boxed you!
  • There is too much padding - basically on everything
  • The proving filaments window doesn’t show the information at the bottom of the window correctly or even consistently! Also sometimes it closes when entering the arena and sometimes it doesn’t.
1 Like

i lasted 5 minutes with the new UI thank god i could opt out of it. Its absolutely horrible on the eyes the fonts got huge the information windows are all scroll now because the information doesnt fit. Basically it looks like a really crappy mobile game UI.

4 Likes

Issue:
The “Locations in Solar System” window automatically closes when docked, unlike earlier when it remained open and was ready to hover my mouse over the “insta-warp” bookmark while undocking, or setting a destination to another bookmark in System easily.
Now, although I always keep that window open (very handy window) I must also open the main Locations window whenever I wish to undock if I want to “insta-warp”.

Typical of changes to various UI’s done these days this seems to be just something doe to make it look different rather than doing something to make it work better.
Less information available whilst simultaneously making it more difficult to see the information and having what there is take up more space on your desktop.
Total and utter FAIL

2 Likes

+4 I can’t play the game with this new UI. I was about to start canceling all my accounts until I realized it’s a feature flag and could be disabled. It physically gives me headaches and hurts my eyes.

1 Like

Aura’s insistence on popping her head in on every click in the AIR Career Program window is irritating AF.

This is especially true if one shrinks the window down to minimum dimensions (to safe space), because she covers up two of the sub-categories.

We can see her face right there, and can click on it if we need help. There’s no need for her to be so attention hungry.

2 Likes

Just for anyone following along who thinks any of this feedback is new and that people are being unduly critical…

In September 2021 (so over 12 month ago), CCP introduced the new skills interface and the new character information window. The same feedback (it’s too large, too much dead space, it shows less information in a larger window, critical information is missing, it’s inconsistent with other aspects of the interface, it slows things down [lowered FPS]) was given then. Thankfully at that stage it was only two windows, and windows that are rarely open for long when playing.

For context, go read this thread: Version 19.08 - General Feedback

~13 months later, the same mistakes are being made - and now forced on people as a “beta” where the every single aspect of the interface STILL has the same problems.

12 Likes

In the Drone menu I can’t figure out how to tell who my drones are assisting and guarding with the new UI.

2 Likes

This new UI hurts my eyes, literally. After a few minutes using it I started feeling queasy and after about 10 minutes had a headache. I have given it a go several times, but each time the same. I am unable to use this new UI.

5 Likes

The old UI is way better than this. The only good thing is the possibility to opt out from the Photon UI. Too bad we are not given the same option with the new skill UI which is a nuisance as well.

CCP, if you really want to improve the game a good start might be to listen to player suggestions (e.g. vide the thorough analysis Dark Shines made recently here on your forums and on reddit) instead of wasting manpower on stuff nobody has asked for and nobody wants.

7 Likes

People and Places seems to be missing “Locations” in Proton … just me?

I can’t even begin to test it b/c it’s missing all the bookmarks I use. Yes I know there are other ways to get the BM’s but I’ve been using people/places for 10+ years.

1 Like

Пожалуйста оставьте возможность пользоваться как старой картой так и старым интерфейсом.
Я в игре 11 лет , я с большой болью воспринял изменение иконок кораблей, а изменение внешности Химеры меня в гнало в депрессию на месяц.

Please leave the option to use both the old map and the old interface.
I’ve been in the game for 11 years, I took the change in the icons of the ships with great pain, and the change in the appearance of the Chimera drove me into depression for a month.

1 Like

This information appears to have been removed in (or rather not carried over to) the Photon UI.

1 Like

So, so many bugs. I had to opt out. I can’t even simulate a fitted ship properly. Anytime I hover over a module, it shows a ghost of it in the appropriate slot, but then I can’t actually drag and drop anything in that slot as the simulation thinks the ghosted module is actually being simulated.

Between that and how glitchy things are when loading now, I had to opt out.

2 Likes