Player Bounties

I understand that you are just here to inflame. I have seen it enough.

But please at least do it correctly if you wanna be a turd.

This is easily explainable by the fact that new players have no idea that the bounties are insignificant. To them, someone is going to go try to kill them for no other reason than they brought attention to themselves by asking a simple question in rookie help.

If I had that happen to me, I would not want to play either.

2 Likes

Nonsense. You act like new players are idiots.

Dumbing down the game, because whiny bitter vets pretend new players are stupid, creates a boring game which nobody wants to play.

3 Likes

I was a new player once. It took me two hours to figure out how ammunition and reloading works. I remember looking at the “top bounties” page, have no idea how to get there now, and worrying about getting a bounty and dying.

1 Like

Any bounty system that allows any player to profit via the targeting and destruction of expensive, over-optimized and overpriced PvE fits is going to meet with resistance. Even if it’s the PvE players who ask for the change and don’t realize they’re cutting their own throats until after its implemented.

There are two camps of players at odds over an opinion. One that believes managing your risk in an always on PvP game while doing PvE is a core tenent of Eve, and one that believes that Eve is a ‘Sandbox’ and sandbox games can not allow PvP ‘style’ players to interfere with PvE ‘style’ players. (Basically that everyone should be able to do anything they want without other players enforcing any concequences for poor decisions.)

CCP, in the mean time, is toeing the line in the middle and making ovetures to both sides in spite of their being mutually exclusive. The removal of the bounty system is an example of this. A minimum amount of explanation is given to avert an immediate backlash from some members of the community with no follow through in the hopes everyone will forget about it or cease to care. Communication is so tightly regulated that nobody at CCP can take the initiative and tell you what’s going on.

There are two conditions where you can get an answer to your questions: You raise enough fuss or damage CCPs reputation enough to convince the bureaucrasy to do damage control, or your answer is determined by that bureaucrasy to be good enough PR to authorize a response.

The bounty system, being as controversial as it is, probably doesn’t qualify as good PR no matter what CCP would say, and its removal has not stirred up all that much fuss. I’ll be surprised if there’s an official response, and even if there is I’ll assume it was to spite me for bothering to point out CCP’s near total lack of open, candid communication with its player base.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m cool with that. Maybe some immunity for players below x skill points.

Possibly a sec status below 0 requirement?

Either way they need to be in the game imo, and that entire playstyle expanded upon.

As Qia pointed out, likely CCP got rid of it for reasons of their own (eg., it used that “old code” they’re terrified of touching), and it wasn’t worth re-writing or re-introducing because they couldn’t figure out how to charge $$ for it.

Having a higher-quality, more engaging game with room for more playstyles hasn’t been on CCP’s roadmap for quite a long time now.

As for “bounties are hard to implement without abuse”, that’s nonsense for people who can’t think beyond the obvious. Some forumite once commented “there are no player exploits, only bad dev code.” Re-design is trivial.

• Bounties can only be placed on someone with a current suspect or criminal flag, or an active kill-right against them.
  • Bounties only pay 2/3 of the “destroyed value” of a kill - thus you can’t make money killing yourself (“estimated value” system needs a proper re-write anyway).
  • Ships should have a component like a Power Core (similar to quantum cores) that ups their value in a kill - especially the value of high-DPS PvP fits. So that drops + bounty + Core becomes a worthwhile payout for a bounty kill.
  • Bounties are disabled outside of high and low sec, or any time TiDi is triggered - “server lag” excuse goes away.

CCP advertises itself and makes a big deal about being a “sandbox”, but CCP consistently removes or simply fails to implement enough actual sandbox tools to make it an interesting, viable sandbox.

Why bother? A hundred thousand players send them money every month no matter what shi… er, sand they shovel.

1 Like

How about at the same time that Rookie Chat expires? What’s that, 30 days?

Elite Miners should also be able to have a bounty on them.

1 Like

Huh? Rookie chat expires?

I have had it open for four years. I love talking to people when I am plexing or roaming.

I just think sec status should matter more and play into this system. Though the system doesn’t presently exist :laughing:

Sec status means 2 very different things depending whether one spends time in High Sec or Lowsec. It is the worst kind of mechanic that conflates 2 very different ideas and erases the nuance of both.

Adding more to that toilet bowl of a kitchen sink is not advisable, IMO.

1 Like

That’s rough, man. Dying in video games sucks! I wish they’d make it so that we didn’t have to die anymore. What an annoying and frustrating feature. There’s already so much violence and death in the world. We don’t also need it here, in a fun spaceship game!

The kind of person who freezes in fear because a 0.1 cent bounty was placed on them in a videogame, and is terrified by the fact that someone might come hunt their quarter penny Venture, that kind of person is an ideal fit for a PvP video game that the developers describe as “cold”, “harsh”, and “cruel”. CCP should modify the game to ensure those individuals feel comfortable and safe.

2 Likes

I think at least some of the objections to the bounty system as it was are purely because of presentation. They make people who see themselves as law abiding bear a brand that makes them look like a criminal. It also provided some intel on where and when the person bountied is killed by a PvP action, though I forget how much. Some people may object to this as well. I personally felt the system was mostly a waste of ISK so I did not use it.

That said, I do not agree with the removal of the system. I understand how it can be scary to have a bounty placed on you, but at the same time, Eve can be a scary place and your survival chances go up if you are aware of that. Having a bounty placed on you costs you nothing. You lose nothing. It still instills the sense that the world you’re in is dangerous, though, and can motivate a player to be more aware and more careful without inflicting an actual loss. It encourages people to avoid using excessively expensive fits or carrying tons of valuable cargo without having to endure the loss of those fits or that cargo.

People who quit because of a bounty aren’t people who quit because they were put in any additional danger. They’re people who quit because they became aware of the danger that always existed and made a more informed choice about the kind of game they want to play. I think that’s fine. If it were totally up to me, I’d change the presentation so that it did not imply criminality and put it back in for those people who liked to use it, but even without a change in presentation I prefer to have it than not to have it because it makes the game’s demeanor match its nature.

2 Likes

Effective bounties are hard to implement without abuse. Your idea is just the old system, limited to a smaller target pool with the addition of the poorly designed structure core mechanic added to ships.

@Aiko_Danuja @Destiny_Corrupted You both need to stop. None of this is helpful, and all of it is pointless! What is the purpose of those comments besides needless harassment?

PvP in a PvP video game is neither harassment, nor abuse, nor griefing.

The game should not be watered down, just because people who are bad at PvP video games pretend it’s “griefing” to PvP in a videogame.

5 Likes

That’s what gets me about this whole thing. They use terms like “griefing” and “killed” as if they’re talking about Omaha Beach.
If someone really grieves for a pixelated spaceship then they have more problems than at first sight, and no one in the entire world has ever died from PvP.

I don’t see why sec status would be indispensable to the Bounty System just like it isn’t with regard to PvP, If someone wants to spend his ISK on a bounty they should be able to do so without restrictions.

It’s almost like griefing doesn’t necessarily mean grieving in the same way as grieving a real life loss and has a meaning in video game contexts…

Playing semantic word games doesn’t stop griefing existing in MMOs.

Chagrined and bereaved over pixel ships. :sweat_smile:

At this point all the Carebears have left is semantics.

2 Likes

Oh look, salty about “carebears”. I’m shocked.