Player Count

Reply to your Statement

01001100 01100001 01110011 01110100 00100000 01000110 01110010 01101111 01110011 01110100 01110000 01100001 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101000 01100001 01100100 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010 01100100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000111 01100001 01101110 01101011 01100101 01110010 01100101 01110100 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 01100110 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100101 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01111001 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01010011 01110100 01100101 01101100 01101100 01100001 01110010 01101001 01110011

/Why only on a Tuesday?

Mardi Gras?

February 21

1 Like

Maybe some people have decided to celebrate it every Tuesday :thinking:

1 Like

One of us needs to buy a comment from a not so distant past to close this slightly off topic discussion.

The comment that might forever become the go to Meme of Choice;
"Could you just stop? It’s getting weird!

1 Like

Because anything can happen on a tuesday.

Alright, I see where you are coming from then.

Might be flagged as an old fart here for saying this but:

Less was More, and actually forced you to interact with people and collaborate to build stuff together.

Like in an MMO, you know.

If you want a single player Sci-Fi game, why not go to Elite Dangerous or No Man Sky ? Plenty of Sci-Fi out there that follows your vision of what a sci-fi game should be …

But noooo, you have to come to the ONE game that’s totally unique and trainwreck it with your aspirations, because somehow, devs listen to your demographic a lot more now.

3 Likes

Do you really want all of highsec to be run by the russians that badly?

It’s a good idea but way too easy for some group like black flag to abuse.

Less was more. Now less isn’t more. Times have changed and we ask for more for our buck. Times are hard and we work the equivalent of two people’s jobs in one position for less money because the boss gets greedier by the year.

I agree with you that collaboration with other players is important in a MMO. Still, that doesn’t mean we should be content with just sticks for 20 bucks a month’s subscription. Some carrots are nice, too. Add potatoes and onions and cauliflower and broccoli… then we’ll talk.

I do play Elite once in while also. But Elite and EVE are two different beasts.
No Man Sky looks boring to me.

I’m sorry but I personally haven’t asked for much. I haven’t asked for nerfs or a subscription hike or SP Injectors or Packs with badly-fitted ships or bad to no communication from CCP or anything like that.
I like the game, too, you know. I don’t want it to be dumbed down.
I’m sorry that my login reward is breaking your game.

That’s the thing thou high sec is huge 1 group can only control small area’s and if the people living there dont like it they always have the option to change homes or fight back, it might even give them the chance to explore things out of high.

Maybe as an extra bonus any feudal lord’s become attack-able by any other feudal lords in high sec without concord assistance so its perma wars vs everyone else that dares hold any high sec territories.

Getting syndicate wars vibes even thinking about it lol.

1 Like

That’s exactly what black flag does. And they do it because clubbing seals is easy kills. Is that really the kind of behavior we want to encourage? Keep in mind that the devs made their war dec changes because groups like that were driving away large numbers of players.

1 Like

Are you saying black flag are not real PvPers?

:smirk: :smiling_imp: :popcorn:

1 Like

Yes but Black flag has the option of choosing their enemies, with this system some bigger group that also holds lands can go o btw black flag, run :smiley:

Will be a lot of “Get off my turf” lol Also greed might break up the bigger factions as they would want more share and cause more in fighting.

Player count will continue to drop until CCP starts putting Winning in the game.

1 Like

When I joined in what, 2010ish, before peak PCU, pretty much every corp was perma-wardecked, didn’t matter what security of space. This was a long time ago when starting and maintaining wars were different. The effect was the same though: you got shot at a lot. As a consequence, everyone, including in high sec, was expected to grow teeth. Because, if there was one constant, everyone was going to get clubbed.

There are only baby seals now because changes to the game make it easier for players to deceive themselves and delude themselves into thinking that baby seals should be a part of the game, and that it’s OK if they become a baby seal. It is not. The clubbings continue unabated.

The people whose fault it is that baby seals are getting clubbed, are the folks who make themselves baby seals. The clubbings are always constant and predate them. If there were no baby seals, there would be no clubbing of baby seals.

People have this backwards and think “remove the clubbing” is the solution. It is not. Grow teeth.

7 Likes

So, sometimes you write a useful post, and sometimes you write stupid stuff like this. That’s ok, it’s not a reflection of ‘you’ as a person, but on your lack of understanding of a game as an ecosystem.

The average EVE gamer isn’t looking to be a space bully or pirate. The average EVE gamer also isn’t looking to be a victim of same. When you institutionalize bullying and extortion rackets in your game, the very few will target the very many. As the process becomes more mainstream and less ‘fringe’, a few more people will shift from the “I don’t victimize and extort weak targets” to the “hey look, piracy is fine, it’s better to shoot than get shot at, right?”.

And a comparatively large number of players will say “Yeah, screw this I’m out. Game’s not worth it.”. And either quit, or not undock, or move to a bigger protection racket in Null.

The productive, economy-oriented PvE player (who get called ‘weak’ because they’re not in a PvP fit) will not “grow teeth”. It’s idiocy to expect them to do so since you can’t do what they’re doing (mine, haul, PvE) and have comparable teeth to even a 2-man gang of pirates.

That’s the whole point of high-sec piracy and wardecs, is selecting targets that can’t win. Case in point - from 2010:

Untrue. They were always there, and they’ve always left due to EVE game mechanics. The difference now is, every gamer alive has 8,000 more options to do with their leisure time than they did back then, and EVE is steadily losing out as a source of ‘entertainment’.

Any time you design a game to have 20,000 sheep and 3,000 wolves with little to no restrictions on the wolves, you can confidently predict the sheep will start disappearing.

6 Likes

Thanks, that’s the best compliment I’ve ever gotten in Eve from a stranger. It replaces my previous top compliment, from a Russian using a translator, who said (yes in all caps) “YOU ARE A MOST ADEQUATE PILOT”.

That being said, I disagree with what you posted.

This language codifies a certain bias. A certain world view. That’s OK. My bias is different. But it prevents being able to discuss the topic. Am I supposed to say “yeah, me and the other bullies are hoping to turn more people into bullies”? It sounds stupid to you, because I agree with you, it does sound stupid. I don’t want more bullies and butt holes.

If I were to instead say “yeah, me and the other PvP-enjoyers are hoping to turn more people on to PvP” then I think “now we’re talking” but I have to walk right past your words and kind of blow you off in a way, which certainly isn’t constructive either. Because you may or may not feel engaged or adequately heard by this new turn of conversation.

Yeah, I agree. Eve isn’t a game for everyone. It is niche. There’s various ways to play. I’ve seen gameplay styles I care about gone completely when I returned after 10 years, new ones sprung up. Everyone tries to protect their own gameplay style. New releases always require adaptation. It burns people out. People come and go. We all want a healthy game. No one can agree what that “healthy game” is.

Let me tell you a story. To prove Cilly wrong once I bought a porpoise and offered free mining boosts in Heimatar. I only hung out with like 5 strangers in total. One of them was in an Orca. I still talk to them. They’re the kind of person that was into mining and PVE and building cool ships.

We hang out in a chat room, and occasionally send each other messages. Once in a blue moon, just to catch up and see what the other is up to. I don’t think the person is on disability, but they have health problems, and I like making sure they’re OK as a cool person I randomly met. So we rarely get to talk.

Fast forward a year and a half later, they’re in wormholes fleeting up and pew-pewing. Whereas before they didn’t. I’m not saying it’s because of me. I’ve never asked. But at some point I stopped telling him “I am mining solo in Great Wildlands” and the stories turned into “I got blown up”. So their stories stopped being “I’m mining today” and became “I am in a YouTube video because I fleeted up and shot at people in wormholes”.

Individual people can do change and try new things out. Not every body is capable, as you say. But I believe most are. Sometimes they don’t really need a push, but just need to hear someone they know say “So I tried something different today and had fun…”

They can still bust out their orca and mine. But they also have the mentality that they are not helpless and can fight back.

I can see how you believe that. I disagree, Steam and consoles of the early 2010’s still had plenty of leisurely games and the MMO market itself was more competitive at the time (see all the popular MMOs that have since shut down).

I tend to view it as a “gamer mentality” change. There’s simply 10 more years of what a “pvp game should be” entrenched in the market which influences people’s mentality going into Eve. So People that get the jarring experience of having their expectations violated are more likely to view Eve as an “outlier in need of correcting” than just “something adjacent to mainstream”.

So yeah, that’s my stupid bias.

4 Likes

I really don’t think it makes all that much difference. I started online gaming with Team Fortress back in 1998…and that wasn’t due to it being one of the few such games available. It was fun. I played for about 2 years, and then stopped, even though TFC is actually still going 24 years later. I didn’t leave it because other stuff came up. Same with Counterstrike. I just got bored of it. I think everything has a natural cycle of interest. Sure, people can be lured away by other games, but the boredom with the existing game has to be there first.

That’s pretty hilarious. :slight_smile:

Well, a lot of that is due to the difference in the way the word bullying is perceived now, vs. the way it was when I grew up. Back then, it was considered “it happens, the world is like that, you can’t avoid it entirely so learn to deal with it”. Which is kind of the EVE way. (With a couple key exceptions I will get to shortly.)

Nowadays bullying is widely considered a social evil to be eliminated as much as possible and controlled on the bullying side rather than on the victim side (“learn to deal with it”). Which is sort of the way EVE is heading (though not really).

One of the key exceptions here is the difference between “back in the day” when bullying was perceived to be the somewhat larger kid pushing the smaller kid onto the parking lot and teasing him. And the more recent bullying version, which is gang members extorting and recruiting from younger kids, and bully packs swarming and beating or even killing their targets.

Unfortunately the “rosy view” of bullying as just a simple playground problem to be sorted out among the kids was never really accurate, and just like domestic abuse, child abuse etc. was always a much bigger problem than people wanted to admit.

And it’s similar in EVE. RL bullying isn’t handled by teaching the smaller kid how to punch better, and EVE bullying isn’t handled by telling miners they should “grow teeth”. (Keeping in mind I’m well aware of and support the view that any serious player should learn all the many tactics for avoiding ganking. But most players aren’t “serious” players.)

Some of it is also because your phrase “yeah, me and the other PvP-enjoyers are hoping to turn more people on to PvP” is part of that “rosy, pretend the problem is just a little snag” view that ignores reality.

The reality isn’t “hey we’re turning players on to PvP with wardecs”. The reality is, and was proven to be, that a very small number of corporations made a massive practice out of wardeccing everybody and everything and it was driving players out of participating and out of the game.

That’s what happens when you put 3,000 wolves in fields with 20,000 sheep and let them run free. That’s simple ecosystems, not wishful or rosy thinking.

This, to my mind, is a bit of a cop-out. You don’t need everyone to agree. EVE only needs an environment where there is a rational life-cycle and career path for PVE, mixed PVE/PVP, and PvP-only players. This isn’t as impossible as everyone seems to think it is, but it certainly isn’t going to happen in an environment that requires an endless supply of fresh new sheep to keep the wolves fat and happy.

Everybody’s got a story and an anecdote. But anecdotes don’t translate well to mass behavior. People do what they do for the reasons they do them. As trite as that sounds, it translates to “if the incentive, risk and reward cycle isn’t working and semi-balanced, then the game will break”.

And in EVE, it isn’t balanced, never has been, and after the first 5-10 years of “exploring a new game world” (which is a rosy time for any large MMO), the game has just been getting progressively more and more broken.

Well this kind of ignores the fact that I just linked you an article from 2010 making all the same points I’m making here, and showing that the situation wasn’t really different back then. Also ignores that mobile games now make up almost half the market, or that more than three-quarters of all revenue comes from F2P games, or the kind of gaming explosion that saw Steam release 336 games in in 2010 vs. 10,696 in 2021.

This isn’t a “gamer mentality” change, or more accurately, it’s gamer mentality, changes in leisure time usage (2 hour chunks vs. 30 minute chunks) plus vastly more choice and options, plus the fact that far more of the cracks in EVE’s design show up after 2 decades than they did in the first 8 years.

EVE can’t survive on the model of endless sheep to feed the wolves. It can survive on a model that takes a more ecosystem based approach.

5 Likes