Player Housing alternative

Seems fine to me.

Isn’t discussion and compromise fun?

I’m just amused that when the situation does not include the word cloak that the kneejerk reaction is “Nooooope, OP”, even though mechanically it would amount to the same exact thing.

Then more amused at how fast he backtracked on it.

Yeah, you thought afk cloaking was bad now. Wait till people have these set up in your system.

‘Got an observatory array to detect my cloak? Lol. Check out my chateau. Courtesy of bears with no clue!’

Back tracked on what? It amounts to the same situation. Er go, it’s still a pointless idea.

Of course, we could do a number of things… like not allow probes out of the pocket, make the pockets far out of dscan range, put local in delayed mode while inside…

I’m not arguing for the value of the thing, just that it can be made harmless and if it’s something people would want it doesn’t hurt to give it to them.

Yes. We could do all that, so that less than 10% of people can have CQ mkII. All the work and just as pointless.

So? I’d bet it would take an intern less than a day to set up with the tools they were so proud of for making new missions that never got used to actually make new missions.

It’s just some space. /shrug

If this was something that would make a farmer explode, half the goombas on the forum would already be coding it for free.

I refer people again to ccp hilmars apology where part of the bad reaction for CQ’s was a job done half arsed.

If you’re going to mash together something using tools built for another purpose and try to release it as a feature, you’re gonna get another bout of hatred. It will be even more damaging to the company image.

Think of the amount of work that went into incarna. That was ‘unfinished’. So you want to do homes in space? People are going to have expectations. And at the end of the day, it is still functionless.

I’m pretty sure if they don’t use it as a thinly veiled attempt to sneak in Pay to Win features it will be fine.

Hell, they eventually got what they were after anyway, and skill injectors are now ruining the game as advertised.

1 Like

But yes. Except you aren’t really representing the work that went into Incarna.

They used it as an excuse for a lot of things, but what they didn’t do was develop a feature for EVE.

Instead they took the development for the Vampire The Masqurade game they were working on, reskinned it with some different clothes for the dolls, and tossed it into EVE as a stress test (that failed spectacularly).

They then used that not ready for beta test product, glued the Aurum store to it, and got caught fishing for pay to win ideas which sparked riots.

That is what Hilmar was apologizing for. Getting caught fishing for pay to win before EVE went free to play and then Pay to Win with skill injectors.

And here we are, with WIS actually still a highly desired feature amongst the players who have been fooled into thinking they will ever develop the RPG part of the original offering.

The issue was always the pay to win part, not the fluff of walking in stations.

1 Like

The summer of rage was.

But the failings of CQ were multiple. The lack of function and incomplete development are recognised as part of that. By players. By ccp.

Players want a home to call their own? They have citadels.

But OP wants to rekindle the failing elements of CQ. The lack of function. The micro-transactions.

I propose pretty hangars and/or pretty citadels would be far easier and far better.

They used the Summer of Rage as an excuse not to develop WIS anymore.

Of course, they really could not… The backbone of the feature wasn’t part of EVE and wasn’t intended to be. They tried to reinvent Second Life, and did a poor job of it at that, and then threw up their hands, pointed at the rage directed at the PtW aspects and said we can’t develop this anymore.

However, the tools to create an area of space with a few special features are already in place, used in development all the time which is why we see new exploration stuff, and the request is light enough impact that you could use it’s development as a training exercise for an intern.

1 Like

You’re speculating there.

Development of CQ may not have happened because ccp have a habit of implementing things and then never touching it again for years. E.g. Planetary Interaction went something like 8 years before the updates we just got. And thats a feature with a purpose!

If CCP see a market for space nesters that isn’t covered by citadels then have at it. But if they get it wrong they’re gonna feel it.

And pretty hangars and citadels would be a better ‘tester’ anyways.

Like I said before, I think it could happen by way of allowing Corps to deploy Deadspace Accel Gates. Then random NPC corpies can’t spam them everywhere. And it would clear up the skies somewhat by allowing people to “hide” their Citadel inside the Pocket rather than just leaving it float next to some Stargate or Moon.

And the best part is that if you Wardec the Corp and kill their Gate, they lose that Citadel forever. Maybe there’s a limited amount of time for you to deploy another Gate and regain access. But otherwise the Pocket collapses, destroying everything you’d built inside. And all your assets go into Asset Safety for later recovery. Or if you wanna be really mean, you could argue that whatever NPC entity trucks those assets out, couldn’t get into the Deadspace either, so everything in the lost Citadel is just… gone.

I think the op is expressly wanting to avoid this.

I’d have zero issue with a dead space pocket that can be attacked and have supported such proposals in the past.

Now THIS I could get behind. But I’d make it a one-time thing only; you can only place it once (and get a permanent bookmark). Pocket can’t be probed, but a player could be while they warp there (same as probing any ship while it’s in warp).

You can have your super-secret hideout. You can even put citadels in it per the usual anchor rules. But heaven help you if someone manages to probe you in warp to it.

You can probe for ships inside of Deadspace. But you can’t warp right on top of them, you end up landing on the Accel Gate first.

And I agree, I would make the Gates non-reusable like the Customs things. You place it, it makes your Pocket, and that’s it. If someone kills your Gate, everything in your Pocket is lost. Next time you log in, you see that Asset Safety email, and you’re floating in empty space.

This’d be an entirely different kind of space. Something you COULD in concept keep hidden. A refuge, a treasure island, your own manufacturing paradise… like Isla de Muerta a place you can only find if you’ve been there.

But… should someone be taken there, should someone who has been there sell you a bookmark… or should someone follow you there… well, better hope they aren’t intent on blowing up your stuff.

One you place it, you’ve placed it. There’s no moving it and there’s no second chances.

You’ve seen the big fat salty tears they cry if you’ve got a single Cloaked ship that people can’t find hidden in a system somewhere.

Can you IMAGINE the degree of bitching, if you could generate your own undetectable Deadspace Pocket, and setup shop inside including Citadels?

No… I think it’s better to leave those items detectable. Not necessarily advertised on the Overview by default, but something that a Combat Probe scan could detect. Maybe… make the Gate / Pocket harder to detect based on whether you use the T1 / Fac / T2 Gate.

Shrug… consider the cost and benefit. There’s really no huge advantage over running your own in HS, plenty of quiet systems if you really need it so.

But… for the people with more isk than they know what to do with, you can bet they’ll have shiny stuff to blow up. And you can bet that people will be looking for it.

My only experience with instanced player ‘housing’ is WOWs horrible attempt and utter failure. They actually spent developer time making their game worse (since it went against player-player interaction, one of the things that i felt made WOW a great game).

Also, at least WOWs version accomplishes something even though it is miserable game play, your idea does nothing but waste developer time.

I will sleep well knowing that CCP wont even begin to consider this horrible waste of time and money.

Eve is no longer the rpg it was. Most rpg aspect are dead/dying. That part is so old it needed to be removed before it went necrid and destroyed the rest of the game.