Please use sense when evaluating player numbers

Litterally all this game needs is something new for players to learn, discover and Master, everything else is 100% figured out and optimized.

Maybe with ten iPhones? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is EVE players we’re talking about: Anything new will be min/maxed within hours or at most days. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ooof takes me like 2 weeks from when I start something new lol damn that’s insane.

You need to train better spreadsheet and theorycrafting skills then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author) :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue:

I accidentally revealed everything lol…at least only for 10 seconds, before I came to my senses.
I don’t think you realize how much of a try hard I am and to think there are people that try 3 times harder holy moly.

1 Like

Yah, I don’t want to say I know everything about Elite as I am pretty new vs its history but mechanics and gameplay appear to be more or less the same… Look at their latest update for an example. Just lore progression and that’s pretty much it. Nothing game changing to get most/me excited.

Here in EVE we at least have been getting slow but steady changes to the game. Mining balance pass, new mining mechanics and reworking of old mechanics. While CCP can’t touch on all of our issues, that is the benefit to a subscription-based game. We can expect monthly updates unless something stops that for some reason… I think this is a fair comparison in this respect.

This is the case for most MMOs? I am personally shifting to games I can keep playing over and over again. Stellaris was worth the $$$ for me. I love Ravenfield and I am keeping an eye at Falling Frontier and Farthest Frontier. All of these games have ALOT of replay ability. I would even add Elite Dangerous is a great single player game. On sale 7$ USD for base and about 30$ for DLC it will sit nicely in my library if I want to ever shoot NPCs, see some space, or kill xenos.

Single player games don’t need to worry about if they are dead… Some REALLY simple games like Totally Accurate Battle Simulator and Ravenfield will live forever! Simplicity keeps them alive and I am leaning towards a lot of these simplistic titles that don’t care about active player numbers.

1 Like

For single player games I had a blast recently playing Kingdom comedeliverance and I heard there is an expansion on the way.

For MMO’s I just cycle them like I’ll probibly take a 2 month break from Eve and start the new season of POE or something.

1 Like

This is a statement I agree with, mostly because they become grief threads with little value to the community.

This really isn’t true. Anyone who goes to college or gets a desk job will use a PC, or like me a Mac. While there are many people who fall outside of this category, there will always be desktop computers of some sort. There are people out there who only use a gaming platform, or a phone, but generally I would argue, they are not the target audience for Eve anyway.

The problem with the argument of mobile versus desktop, is that you are presenting it as a zero sum game. It is not. While mobile is getting more powerful, it depends on the application as to if mobile is the preferred choice. You reference mobile banking, yes, I prefer my mobile banking app, but that is because it is well suited to mobile consumption. But let’s go further into the finance arena, I for one do not want to prepare my taxes via my phone, there I use a desktop. Doing this on a phone is painful.

Eve online is an immersive visual experience. The small form factor of a phone, just doesn’t do it justice. I tried hard to like Eve Echoes, ultimately I ended up up deleting the app. It just didn’t have the same umph. Think of all the arguments surrounding the Photon UI changes. We are in a constant battle for usable UI real estate. The reason Eve Echos has limited controls is purely due to the size of the screen.

I’ve been around for awhile, I’ve seen a lot of these shifts is technology. When I went to high school, we would submit computer programs via punch cards for off-site batch programming. (yes, I’ve been around that long). Now what I can do on a iphone is orders of magnitude more powerful than the mainframe we would submit our stack of punch cards to. What a phone can’t provide is the visual experience that a full screen monitor can, regardless of the power or capabilities.

There will continue to be shifts in technology, I doubt any of us truly understands what is to come, but I look forward to it. There will always be a drive for better visual experiences, maybe a phone will provide it eventually, but it won’t be via the existing screen for experiences that require an enhanced visual experience, and robust interface.

3 Likes

My first game was Star Trek via paper tape into a western union terminal timeshared to a main frame('78). So I’ve been around awhile too.

This was primarily blowing steam at the whining ‘suggestions’.

I think I got lost on the phone thing because it is a big deal in the field I work in and I need just 3 more years until I can retire and may not make it.

Probably should have included inflation, demographics, and other external factors to make my point rather than focusing on the phone.

I appreciate your points as well as everyone else’s.

I agree people make it way too simplified. Other player number factors…

• Seasonal - Summer, start of school, other distractions.
  • Pandemic Easing - Less bored at home time, back to other activities.
  • Competition - The new Final Fantasy release sucked in a lot of people.
  • Cost - Yes the increased costs of subscription may have chased off some people.
  • Removing bad actors - It’s entirely possible the push to ban scam accounts (see other threads) may have reduced artificially high numbers.
  • Resource Scarcity churn - The scarcity movement doesn’t appear to have had the consequences the developers hoped for. The churn and changes drove off some.
  • Toxic Community - Let’s face it, the forum community in a large part is quite toxic. That disincentivizes many to want to be part of the community, and paints a bad light on the game. If I read the forums beforehand, I’m not sure I would have joined the game.
  • etc, etc.

I know the pain, I’m slogging through iOS development right now as a personal challenge, mostly it’s a slog because I don’t have a good idea to code, and it’s (yet another language) timesuck. 8 years to retirement

1 Like

Yeah, and Disney/Pixar’s recent financial disasters (talking expectations/potential) is ‘because… Covid’… Totally NOT wokism. got it.

:wink:

1 Like

EvE (d)Evolved into tiny spreadsheets in microspace ? Hmm, could be… could be…

We’re gonna need a smaller game.

Hang on … found something

2 Likes

I’ll be concerned about phones replacing PC gaming when phones are able to displace 300 watts’ worth of heat that modern GPUs put out during load.

1 Like

The future of gaming has been demonstrated in The Matrix:
neo-plugging-to-matrix

Here’s a small fleet LAN party: guess who’s flying tackle and who’s being an F1 monkey ?

THE MATRIX (1999)

4 Likes

Just means out of 7,970,000,000 people on Earth, 7,967,500,000 don’t use your product. Compared to the Windows userbase of 1.4 billion monthly active devices running Windows 10/Windows 11, your customers are miniscule.

OP: Complains that people post stupid stuff without any basis. Proceeds to rant about stupid stuff without any basis.

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment, however I see it for the colossal mistake that it is. They will too, eventually.

+1

Elite is a poor comparison. Just because it’s a space game doesn’t make it comparable to eve. There is nearly 0 pvp element as players are allowed to do anything they want in solo or private party mode. Even if you did catch an idiot hauling their entire net worth it won’t drop if you manage to interdict and kill them. Speaking of that there is not active module that will prevent a target from warping. That by itself tells you almost everything you need to know. There is no direct interaction between players. There is not a player driven economy. Elite was never going to hold an eve players attention for long. Aside from flying your ship with stick and throttle it’s quite boring. ED is also a MUCH younger game.
Albion is a better comparison and they suck too.

Btw if there is an isd lurking this topic is an actual rant.

1 Like

One thing elite did great was interdiction and stealing cargo along with mining. You just didn’t know what you was doing.

It’s been a long while since i played but you actually have to actively catch people in warp, interdict them where they struggle against your lock actively while you maintain lock, then when they have been forced out of warp, you shoot their hatch and eventually the cargo comes out and you have to take their shields down. The absolute salt you can harvest from stealing someones cargo while they watch you was glorious.

Eve is just f1 basically with tackle.

You did it completely wrong in elite.