Today I packed up and left wormhole space for the overpowered safety of an NPC station in k-space (why are there so many of these things spammed around the map? what is this local shit?). I loved playing in w-space. It was extremely tense, required a lot of specialized skills that were hard to learn and harder to master, sometimes lonely, but overall it has been the best “sandbox” experience I’ve had in EVE since beta so many years ago.
I decided to leave w-space due to an overwhelming imbalance in risk vs reward. Let me explain,
- W-space is less profitable than it used to be, and much less so running trying to sustain a micro operation in a C3.
- The citadels are paper thin to begin with - with major disadvantages over the POS.
- The timers in w-space have always been shorter than in other places, and we never had the gluttonous luxury of asset safety.
- We could never set jump clones to w-space, requiring an anchor alt to “reopen the door” as it were, if a main was lost.
- The new changes to the citadels – Low Power Mode – combined with the short timers make it nearly impossible to log off.
The new mechanics demand eternal vigilance for wormhole dwellers. CCP, I have a job that pays the bills; I don’t have the time to press “v” 24x7x365. (Why was I even pressing “v” so much to begin with? Wouldn’t advanced spaceships with FTL drives have automated threat detection radars? Who thought this was gameplay?!)
It seems to me that CCP so despises solo/small team play that it can’t help itself from turning the screws ever tighter on what is already a very difficult play style that requires skills you can’t inject.
I can’t wait to provide “content” from the safe perch of my new NPC station home though. Come by some time, maybe I’ll have my lemonade stand out. And I won’t be signing up to be yelled at to login and orbit some FC and rock the F1 button on behalf of the bot mining corps back home though, that’s for sure. That’s not even a gameplay experience, that’s just tedious garbage. Thanks for chasing me out of w-space CCP, and ensuring that I really don’t have much reason to log on anymore – good thing for you folks that I’m paid up till December though, eh? Probably saves on server costs.
(Although, more likely, I’ll just go into cryogenic hibernation until something more interesting happens with whichever PM is responsible for w-space features.)