Rots Mijnwerker for CSM 18

Me and my Story

Hello team, I am Rots Mijnwerker FC and USTZ Command Member for WE FORM BL0B.

My history in Eve Online has always been about creating content, playing in a community, and growing with the game. My time in EVE truly started in 2005 at the age of 13, playing religiously throughout middle and highschool then well into college. Now after hitting 30, it’s a lot easier to look back on the ebb and flow of what EVE has been and while not the only game I played it has been the constant.

I’ve had the pleasure of playing with some very wonderful people and fighting others equally as great. I have been encouraged by the EVE community and truly embraced the community building aspect of what the game allows us to collaborate around. I am a very staunch PVPer and sprung headfirst into leadership and FC’ing, today providing almost nightly content for anyone who wants to go forth and shoot.

Over the years I have been in many alliances. In some I was the line member or diplomat, in others I was the Head FC. In some I was a founder and others I am a command member. In some I was the Spy. I have been a part of the following alliances doing my thing in some form or capacity.

* Raiden
* IEGEX
* Red Legion.
* Why So Seri0us
* Nulli Secunda.
* Black Legion.
* Insidious.
* The Blood Covenant
* Darkspawn.
* DARKNESS.
* VINDICTIVE
* FREIGHT TRAIN DIPLOMACY
* WE FORM VOLTA
* Out of the Blue.
* WE FORM BLOB

For a period, I took a hiatus and stepped away from the game as I was not happy with where CCP was investing its resources and I had lost interest. In the day and age of COVID 19 – the community was sorely missed, and loneliness set in. My wife and I had to cancel our wedding and we had to embrace our hobbies while we planned to elope (spoiler we got hitched). I decided to download, resub, and reinvent my EVE in the summer of 2020, I was immediately welcomed back by old friends and people saw the notification that Rots Mijnwerker was playing again!

Something about that moment, being furloughed from the company I build theatrical scenery for and having very little people to talk to while in lock down, feeling unable to express myself in my normal artistic way kind. That kind of set the tone for why EVE online and the people who play it are important to me. I messaged old friends, and we reformed under the old banners, with all the old history and all the experiences we’ve had.

Today I have an outstanding rapport with MANY groups, alliances, their leaders, and members.

Areas of the game I feel I am most knowledgeable.

• Content Generation (Lowsec, Nullsec and Kspace)
  • New Player Support
  • Fleet Commanding
  • Fleet Concept Building
  • Fleet Command Training
  • Alliance Logistics
  • Alliance Leading
  • Alliance Management
  • Community Building
  • Ship Fittings
  • Accepting Loss
  • Risk vs Reward
  • Structure Mechanics
  • Sov Mechanics
  • Eve Story Telling

Key Campaign Ideals

The overarching goal for me in CSM 18 would be the promotion of EVE online player base growth. Additionally, I am passionate about new alliances and many groups across all walks of space promotes a healthy EVE. We must attend to the subjects of power projection, structures, sov mechanics and ensuring the player base feels they are getting their money’s worth by subscribing. The reduction of space work for smaller groups making it easier for content creators to appear and become established is also a key goal for me.

I am deeply committed to being a part of the discussion surrounding the mechanics of the following topics:

Small Alliance Uplift and BLOC break up.

• Large BLOCS should cost exponentially more to maintain.
  • Small alliances should be incentivized with less barriers of entry or expansion.
  • I strongly believe the diplomacy tab can be revisited and could be utilized as a tool for BLOC breaking.
  • I believe that bills around standings are a phenomenal opportunity for an isk sink for larger coalitions.

Structure and Sov System Balancing

• Ansiblex Jump Bridge Overhaul – These items are in desperate need of review.
  • Upwell structures – These must be revisited continually and often to support healthy content.
  • Sov Mechanics – A scaling back or expansion of mechanics on a case-by-case basis.

Ship Balancing and Meta

• Ship balancing - we should continue build upon the steps already made this past cycle.
  • Capitals and Super Capitals - the mechanics around these should be reviewed.
  • Unused Hulls - I am supportive of new or reworked hull bonuses on lesser performing hulls.

New Player Experience

• I would love to be apart of expanding and supporting additional steps and initiatives that promote new player influx and support in game.

I appreciate your time and look forward to taking questions and discussing with you all!

Thank you!

11 Likes

Few Issues/Concerns i have about this.

• I strongly believe the diplomacy tab can be revisited and could be utilized as a tool for BLOC breaking
  • Unused Hulls - I am supportive of new or reworked hull bonuses on lesser performing hulls.
  • Upwell structures – These must be revisited continually and often to support healthy content.
  • Sov Mechanics – A scaling back or expansion of mechanics on a case-by-case basis.
  • I would love to be apart of expanding and supporting additional steps and initiatives that promote new player influx and support in game.

How or what do you propose for these issues?

Hey Rots, I really like your header image! I mostly have one question:

• I believe that bills around standings are a phenomenal opportunity for an isk sink for larger coalitions.

Can you elaborate on how you see this working, the potential issues that would need to be worked out, and whether or not you feel like this would lead to perverse incentives?

@Rots_Mijnwerker would you back any idea mentioned below as CSM member?

1. Insane idea - pay with PLEX in NES for extra dev time
  2. Quafe+ is from "biomass" (...or corpse reprocessing)
  3. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - Better Visibility Of Other Players’ PI Networks
  4. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - 8 requests for Stack Split enhancement since Jun’18
  5. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - PI KB-shortcuts for toggling between groups of structures
1 Like

Hello! What are your plans around incentivising smaller groups? Does this come in the form of isk making, or something else?

Also Rots is a fantastic person and pilot, yall should vote for him

I donate

to the campaign

3 Likes

Hey Kontan,

Thank you for your reply and some time to get coffee and RL work.
The header image was created by a friend of mine Gyn Steel - i think its rad too.

Can you elaborate on how you see this working, the potential issues that would need to be worked out, and whether or not you feel like this would lead to perverse incentives?

Absolutely, firstly to preamble believe that the role of a CSM member is to work with and dialogue with CCP in achieving CCP’s goals for what their road map is. However I believe it is CCP’s role to present solutions alongside members of the CSM and have a great collective decorum on these sorts of things. I may not be right and my solution may not be entirely all mine but I am passionate about speaking on these sorts of topics with others looking to bring solutions and ideas to the table.

To get into it I believe that a concise evaluation around the mechanics of standings and diplomacy in the game will likely lead to discoveries on how to better balance the large BLOC expansion we see in the game.

I could see a system where friendly standings are established with a monthly “Diplomatic Upkeep Cost” this cost could be scaled based on member count of the alliances being blued on a monthly recurring schedule charged at the time of establishing positive standings. Traditionally coalitions and blocs send out a “standings sheet” for entities to blue - that effortless diplomatic establishment is currently all benefit and no repercussion or cost. So why should anyone NOT go bluing as many alliances as possible? (rhetorical) This would mean that all alliances in this bloc model would share a cost burden of having a large blue list. However DWH mercing around and setting their target alliances red would not be charged for this standings change. -in theory-

Now to attend to the final part of that question - do I see perverse incentives to this?
Absolutely, and this is where CCP and fellow CSM members as well as our community play a large part in its success.

I have a few adverse outcomes that come to mind, namely:

• This could incentivized blocs to just merge into large mega alliances.
  • This could (if enacted in a weird cost model) promote more alt alliances for various toons.
  • This could adversely effect the natural formation of small alliances in the form of people building up into one alliance in order to counteract another larger alliance.
  • This could adversely effect the smallest of inter alliance relationships regionally, making small pocket coalitions which often form to fight an existential threat harder to do.

However, I believe this change is perhaps one facet of a multi facetted solution across alliance standings, upkeep costs and alliance management as a whole.

3 Likes

Thank you, clearly we need funding in the Rots campaign - currently trying to find out how to pad the toilet tissue fund.

1 Like

Hello! What are your plans around incentivizing smaller groups? Does this come in the form of isk making, or something else?

Also Rots is a fantastic person and pilot, yall should vote for him

Hey Bandht,

Thank your for your question and kind words.

This question could be answered in a loaded way and get bulky quick. Ill touch on some ideas that i feel have tried to be addressed in the past and I don’t entirely know all the data around (I concede that.) I look to your feedback and continued dialogue though.

To be blunt - I believe the best incentives for small groups in this game with be the incentives that large entities do not get to reap the benefits of at least mechanically. Any time we put limiters and costs for expansion we in theory promote small groups therefore meaning they are not as financially burdened. To be clear i do not support direct ISK making subsidies for small alliances. I believe in developing smart mechanics to help solve the problem.

• I believe sov upkeep costs could be evaluated as to if costs could be scaled based on size and number of systems a particular alliance holds. I believe upgrades for those systems are STAGNANT costs however.
  • I believe higher exponential costs could be evaluated in a mechanic change where higher costs are incurred for systems further away from your assigned capital system.
  • I believe the capital distancing approach could be used to establish a ADM generation scale for systems an alliance holds, for instance systems closer to the capital are easier to increase ADM’s for, and systems further from this capital are harder to increase ADM’s for etc. In this model a small alliance in theory is the most easy to establish from the perspective of ADM generation.

Keep chatting with me, i appreciated the question.

3 Likes

Rots #1

Ship Balancing and Meta

Ship balancing - we should continue build upon the steps already made this past cycle.
Capitals and Super Capitals - the mechanics around these should be reviewed.
Unused Hulls - I am supportive of new or reworked hull bonuses on lesser performing hulls.

Hey Rots, how do you think we can improve the use of capitals, for small scale fights?
(Especially dreads.?

And how we can limit the bigger BLOC’s numerical advantage in Capitals?

1 Like

Rots has some great ideas but beyond that I wanted to share a little story about him from my early Eve career. Back in 2013 I had a small corp going. I had grown busy with IRL and some of the individuals there started in fighting and most of the corp fell apart aside from a handful of people. While people who were happy to see that came to try to finish us off, Rots extended a hand to us and gave us a place to crash and catch our breath. He had nothing to gain from it but even today he has my gratitude for that kind act. Genuinely quality individual.

2 Likes

Hey Elinore,

I have taken some time to look at these ideas and comment on what I would or wouldn’t back, sorry to leave you hanging for a bit. Excuse my brevity on some of these though its late and its the wife and I’s anniversary.

1. Insane idea - pay with PLEX in NES for extra dev time

I would not support this on the basis of - CCP should not be paid to do the basic functions of a game company looking to commune and receive feedback from its players. It is already in CCP’s best interests to receive critique and make good impressions with its subscribers.

1. Quafe+ is from “biomass” (…or corpse reprocessing)

I would be in the middle on or support this - I am supportive of anyone wanting to revaluate PI and the mechanics around it although this could probably be prettied up. The end goal is however noble.

1. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - Better Visibility Of Other Players’ PI Networks

I can get behind this - I am however skeptical of the implications of this and would like to see more data from others around this.

1. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - 8 requests for Stack Split enhancement since Jun’18

I agree with most of these on basic premise, I would look forward to feedback from CCP

1. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - PI KB-shortcuts for toggling between groups of structures

I agree with this completely and tried this on the live server to understand a bit better.

2 Likes

Hey Gun,

I believe caps for small scale fights (solo etc.) ae relatively balanced, some dreads are monsters - however
there can be some discussion around things that make these sorts of fights which are smaller escalations happening with more plentiful occurrence.

I think this is a touchy subject.

Hey Patr,

Thank you for your patience while I’ve been working through the various comments and RL.
I think your question is merited however i will start with the bluntest of answers; Its not all up to me but I want to be apart of the discussions around these things.

I’ll give you some expansion on my thoughts though.

This statement is a lofty goal - however it should cost a lot more than it does to maintain the large swaths of space, toons and structures that are attributing to the large BLOC scaling. I’m really interested in talking about mechanics around this.

• I strongly believe the diplomacy tab can be revisited and could be utilized as a tool for BLOC breaking

I answered this in another post here. Rots Mijnwerker for CSM 18 - #7 by Rots_Mijnwerker

Whenever CCP says they are evaluating hulls that are underutilized i am a big fan. Every ship variant that goes underused is an example of a missed opportunity - a great example is the Exequrer Navy Issue which was recently rebalanced and its fun and well rounded but far from game breaking. This is the kind of outcomes i support.

Upwell structures however unintended are somewhat restrictive of certain game play. I was a product of the before times and have a fondness for some aspects of the old system. Namely - interactable structure services (Shootable, Repairable) , non tethering (although I don’t believe it needs to be removed but perhaps distances reduced) , Sovereignty Blockade Units. I believe however that these structure’s should always be revisited as the difference between this era of eve vs. the last in terms of structures is that we don’t just set and forget. Its important to revisit and revaluate in the grand scope of the changes and balances we introduce.

Same as above, I believe continual revisiting balance passes are crucial to ensuring we do not balance ourselves out of balance. I look forward to being apart of any discussion around nullsec sov mechanics that promote smaller groups specifically, and a big part of that is how the costs of space are scaled to promote smaller groups and restrict larger groups in the biggest circumstances.

This is a huge campaign hope of mine is to be apart of what we do to continue bring new players into the game. This could be an expansion of current CCP strategy or new items. I will heavily support anything that is centered around bringing new players into the game without establishing a pay to win model.

1 Like

In rots we trust. Love you rots!

@Rots_Mijnwerker

1. What do CCP do correctly?
  2. What do CCP do incorrectly?
  3. What do you wish existed in-game that doesn’t?
  4. What exists in-game that you wish didn’t?
  5. What exists in-game that you think ought to continue to exist?
  6. What doesn’t exist in-game that you hope never comes into existence?
  7. How would you improve PI?
  8. How would you improve the entire corporation UI?
1 Like

No support. :-1: No mention of highsec issues. In my opinion, Purely a Nullblock supporter (or pawn).

• What do CCP do correctly?

Its a great question - we often drone on about the negatives with CCP.

I think CCP does do well with rolling out relatively consistent content albeit not everyone’s flavor from patch to patch etc.

• What do CCP do incorrectly?

CCP doesn’t inherently do anything incorrectly, its their title you know?
What i think CCP should consider is how they justify their increased subscriptions on a decades old game. I think i would love to see a clear and concise roadmap from CCP which includes new and old mechanics expanded and well thought out and solid content.

• What do you wish existed in-game that doesn’t?

This is a tough one for me - i think i would love to see faction warfare enrollment into the pirate factions i truly do enjoy the lore and could see myself getting into it. I’d love the idea of pirate factions capturing and repurposing empire ships and having ship hulls like this. Like a Providence freighter being stolen and refit by the blood raiders with turret hardpoints? Why not?

• What exists in-game that you wish didn’t?

Ansiblex Jump Bridges - bar stop

• What exists in-game that you think ought to continue to exist?

This one is loaded for me - if i had to pick one, i would really like to know that mechanics that help our community building continue to exist a lot of the reason i play is the people i play with.

• What doesn’t exist in-game that you hope never comes into existence?

Any AOE type weapons etc. - expansions on jump ranges or bridge ranges.

• How would you improve PI?

Some ideas, not total fixes.

1. I would love to have ship tree style menu for PI - implement a chart for each T1 you can double click to see T2 etc. the UI around it would be excellent.

2. PI missions - there are no missions for new players that really introduces them to the mechanic in my opinion, we need to lean into the mechanic to have it anyway. Right now its another part of indy that in most cases is considered monotonous.

3. Players should be able to see PI command center numbers from other players on each planet via pull up from the customs office or in the planet window.

• How would you improve the entire corporation UI?

Entire is huge but ill knock out the things about corporate UI that i have always wondered “why?”

1. Corporate Logos and Insignias - I think we need to be able to make corporate logos like we do alliance logos hands down.
  2. Projects - a new mechanic which i hope dearly we expand upon- being able to make isk awards or awards with other items drug and dropped into a hangar would be excellent. Making this truly something that acts like your corporation is an agent much like highsec and lowsec agents. I see alt of promise with this but currently think it is clunky.
  3. Titles - I believe we need to be able to make more titles (you can make 16) which lets a CEO or director make presets for various roles or needs (this is how i run my corporation currently) I would love to be able to color code these outside of typing in color numerics. An example of one of my title names in order to to do this is ‘<.b><color=#ffffb482>USTZ</b.>’ this is ridiculous.
  4. Corporation asset safety should’nt be a mechanic. - Aternatively a Corp project could be a courier type project/mission.
  5. Corporation Decorations should be easier to create - and be able to have an isk award attached to them. Here’s an example of my corps decoration setup (this is page 1) it took one of our directors two months to create this… that’s absurd.

1 Like

Hey,

Ask me what i would do for HIGHSEC you may be pleasantly surprised.
However much of what i support as main campaign goals can directly or indirectly effect highsec friends!