Rumors! Gossip! Tabloids!

Lochan stumbles with two weeks to go

LA HARROULETTE, Vaashnapoor, Duureanta, Harroule IV - 17/02/122

Duureanta’s rollercoaster campaign for the Archon’s chair took another unexpected turn this week as race favourite and incumbent, Gopala Lochan, was embroiled in scandal following a reception to celebrate the opening match of the Major League Kendu season.

Lochan, doyenne par excellence of Duureanta’s establishment, had been fancied to just about defend a challenge from the populist Vasumati-Rumaita ticket. Throughout the campaign he had traded long on his deserved track record as a safe pair of hands and guardian of traditional Duureantan values, including in his speech before the big game. In an uncharacteristic stumble, however, Lochan left himself vulnerable to both accusations of hypocrisy and difficult questions about his judgment after the appearance earlier this week of intimate images of him in the company of a off-world guest at the event (whom we are unable to identify for legal reasons).

Devastating social media commentary in recent days has reversed last week’s polling gap. Although it still remains within the margin of statistical error, the trend is clear. Perhaps equally worrying for Lochan is the public withdrawal by a raft of prominent establishment backers of their endorsements and financial support, led by the outraged family of his deceased spouse.

Public reaction has been surprised and bemused. “I’m disappointed, after all these years of support, to find out he’s saying one thing but doing another (if you know what I mean), just like the rest of them. Thought we could trust him at least.” commented one Vaashnapoor market stall holder. “I’m kind of impressed he had it in him at his age having watched her holoreel catalogue but still, no… just no.” added a first year biochemistry student.

The market seemed to be pricing in a Vasumati victory this morning, with several big biotech stocks trading upwards in anticipation of deregulation driven investment. At this point, the real question is now how big the margin, which will determine whether Vasumati wins in a position to bring lasting change to Duureanta or facing dangerous and motivated opposition.

11 Likes