Rumors! Gossip! Tabloids!

Millicent: So… Glitter’s keeping those coils charged and the shields up.
Adam: I noticed. She’s either expecting trouble, or she’s keeping them hot on the off chance something does go down.
Millicent: She’s paranoid.
Adam: No… She… look, she’s so far ■■■■■■■ beyond us it scares me. Its like someone took a dozen capsuleers, threw them into a blender, added quafe hyper, C3, and hellfire juice and just… made her. She could kill all of us without a second thought, and… it’d be nothing to her. Would only need to dedicate a portion of a subroutine… but she doesn’t…
Millicent: …Adam, how long have you been working near a terminal where she’s been active?
Adam: three months… Yes, I’ve already had my psyche screen. I know what staying too close to her heuristic fields can do if overexposed.
Millicent: What was it that crazy fuckin’ clonesoldier said?
Adam: She’s an archmaterialist, she can see the curve of history?
Millicent: yeah, that. So, what’s she see that’s got her spooked enough to keep Tidebreak on full spool?
Adam: I honestly don’t want to think too much about that, because if something can scare her… Well, ■■■■.
Millicent: whatever it is, its got the director spooked too. Even with the display Glitter made, the Birdies are is still eyeballing us from across the exclusion zones…
WM_GLTR_EDFC: Spooked. perhaps is a strong word.
Adam: Hell’s ■■■■■■■ teeth… how long have you been…
WM_GLTR_EDFC: The entire conversation, dears.
Millicent: We ain’t done nothing wrong by talkin’…
WM_GLTR_EDFC: I did not say you did. I wanted to congratulate you Squadron Leader Millicent on your promotion, and on the recovery of that survival section. The personnel that were inside are recovering well.
Millicent: …uh, thank you…
WM_GLTR_EDFC: You both are also being re-assigned. There is an operation in MHC-R3 underway, and you will both be in charge of command and security. You will have access to a half-dozen Remora ICSVs, and two squadrons strength of Nightjar and Zipray with supporting compliments… More direct and specific orders will be found in your personal inboxes.
Millicent: What the shi- I’m getting promoted, and getting a command?!
WM_GLTR_EDFC: You have shown the prowess for it, and I have calculated your chances of success to be… quite exceptionally favorable. You will be conducting surveys and placing anchoring beacons on surface and in orbit of particular planets… I think you can guess what sort.
Adam: …the ■■■■ are you planning Glitter?
WM_GLTR_EDFC: Contingency ∆27, with the blessings of the Director.
Millicent: The ■■■■ is Contingency ∆27?!
WM_GLTR_EDFC: Merely a precaution… should our… ‘Birdy friends’ as you call them get too frisky. You leave in one hour, and have seven after that to get initial results
Adam: ■■■■…

7 Likes