September Release - Known Issues & Feedback (Mac)

Just got a new update and the situation is even worse than before. Now, whenever I try to run 64-bit, I just get a message that says a file is missing from Library…winecpp. Sorry I can’t be more specific, but the filename runs off the edge of the window.

To workaround, I have to go into the launcher settings and disable 64-bit. The launcher keeps turning 64-bit back on, so I have to disable it every time I want to play.

Well, now the client won’t launch at all. 32-bit doesn’t work, 64-bit doesn’t work. Tried deleting and re-installing, as well as going through the Steam client. Nothing works. I’ve updated my support ticket, but this is a bit disheartening. Good thing I’ve got a long skill queue.

I am not sure what was changed in the past 24 hours but the EVE Launcher behaves normal, 64 bit unchecked, log in normal, mac mini 2012 (meets minimum, 10.14 etc.) All was good with 64 bit unchecked.

As of today the launcher will not start the game. Launcher numbers 1566502 patch, 1564277 / 6.2.3, selected latest in preferences I get the usual added to the que then nothing for a bit, normal, the que message closes, normal, at this point in about 10 seconds the game window should open. However, now the game window fails to open. Then the EVE Launcher just quits unexpectedly after a minute or three.

In my best Homer Simpson voice, “Mmmmm good queue”

1 Like

Sometimes mono framework (windows) crashes and drops out of the game with a error screen

Any news on the ETA of the fix?

I used the sledge hammer approach to solving this problem. I did a full uninstall of Eve Online. Mac Mini, 2014, OS 10.14.

Went into the Library and delated all the files associated with, CCP, Eve Online, ccpgames, and Wine. The files were in Application Support, Preferences, Saved Application State, Logs>Diagnostic Reports. Also delated the EVE directory from Documents in the users file. Downloaded and installed a fresh copy of EVE Launcher. The Launcher dutifully then downloaded fresh game files, I logged in and could launch the game. I did uncheck 64 bit before launching the game.

I lost all my interface preferences, including window positions, and overview settings. However, all my training, ships, mail, bookmarks, market stuff, and planetary mines, etc. remained. Basically all the important stuff was not lost, just the presentation of said stuff. The only bugaboo is having to remake my Overview settings as I had not realized I needed to export them to save the settings.

I did not try to launch in 64 bit for fear of more file corruption. Previous attempts to launch In 64 bit caused the launcher to get amnesia. It could not find the Library files despite the files being in place.

So even though I don’t play like I should, I still follow this game like crazy.

Mac mini (2018)

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 8 GB

I do follow the forums and was reading that people where having issues -
I run eve in windows mode (always)

I did have one issue where I was warping between station in system A to station in system B where the screen locked up (sadly I wasn’t recording at this time, but I have loglite files). Though while recording I did have some crazy graphics glitches. I’ll submit a bug report with links.

edit: SUPPORT REQUEST #965430

p.s. incase you all might be bored I found some videos I made from a while back…

So after waiting a full week without playing at all for a fix that hasn’t arrived yet, I decided to try again in 32-bit mode, this time with a window size down to 2048 x 1152, to see whether that makes a difference.

Same result, it works much better in 32-bit mode than in 64-bit mode, but still freezes every now and then, exactly the same as when I tried with a bigger window size, regardless of whether I use the ccp-master (32-bit only) or the latest (64-bit compatible) version of WINE.

And it’s not because I’m exhausting the memory that can be addressed with 32 bits. I’m keeping Activity Monitor open all the time to see what happens, and the amount of memory used by wine-preloader barely exceeds 2 GB the whole time it’s running until it freezes, so that’s not the issue, there is something else going on here… Oh, and one of the times I also got a black screen after jumping a gate shortly before freezing…

It all worked great until Sept 12th DT. Someone blew it big that day, and still no fix after a week… I understand this bug may have turned out to be more difficult to find/fix than expected, but it’s not like that day a new expansion was released… Cannot you roll back the client to the working version we had before this crap until the bug is fixed?

2 Likes

Still all three problems!

The Universe is ending!!!

Seconded.

NB: I got a ‘fix’ offered yesterday by GM Zephyr, which didn’t work, and now I cannot even log in in 32-bit mode to keep my skill-queues going. :pleading_face:

1 Like

If you have a paid subscription you can try using the Eve Portal app to shuffle skills.

1 Like

I’ve managed to run EVE on my iMAC (27") - but I had to switch off 64bit and dial the resolution down to (as someone put it) Minecraft level! It seems to work and I haven’t been crashed out of it yet.

I did find that the wine didn’t start after waiting some time - I found launching a second play - ran the Wine - which I closed via CMD+TAB.

Hope CCP fix this ASAP as its really spoiling a game that’s costing me real money.

Thank you, this was very helpful to get EVE running in a much better modus than I’ve had for more than a week.
With low(est) graphics it runs in 32-bit now.

Thanks for the tip!

It’s been a week. I guess something exploded? Game is unplayable for me and I have a Sixth Empire to run. Can you give us a status report on what the team (or single SME) is doing on this crisis?

UPDATE EDIT: So my wife just got a new iMac 21. Right out of the box I installed EVE (she laughed, I told her it was an important test). The client installed and I put it into 32-bit. All graphics seem to work, and no crash of the undock, no black screen of the subwindows. So it looks like something on the new update messed up previous files on my old iMac 27. I’m holding out to delete the entire client and reinstall due to all the chat groups and settings.

Thank you.

/s/ Max

1 Like

Hi - has anybody else noticed that when you try to do any scanning with probes - the blue box and arrows are missing on the system map? I’m guessing this is because we’ve had to reduce the screen resolution for it to work.

This Mac issue is really starting to annoy - I’m reduced to running simple missions and a bit of mining because everything else just isn’t working :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

FAO: CCP Antiquarian

Hey o/

Can you give us a Mac update please - even if it’s just that you’re going to be another week or two, or you haven’t resolved the issue, it’s in build, test - anything … we’re all hanging on here.

Thanks

V

3 Likes

Having a new problem I’ve never had before. Now my spaceship view just goes black. I can still see brackets, sometimes tabbing out and back in fixes it, but otherwise the only fix is restarting the client.

I’m posting here because I’ve filed bugs and nothing seems to gain traction. I’ve put in support tickets, but the responses are very delayed and not very helpful. This forum actually seems to be more productive, ironically.

I’m hoping some fixes come soon. Things were so stable for so long that the stability and compatibility decrements in the last few weeks are just plain sad.

1 Like

I’ve had that happen to me after jumping a gate, only to completely freeze after jumping the next.

Only way I’ve been able to play stable is in 32-bit potato mode. Set everything under Graphic Content Settings to the lowest possible setting, check Low Quality Characters and set their Texture Quality to Low, and turn off any effects you don’t need (runs fine for me with the first two checked, i.e. Turrets & Launchers and Effects).

Not happy with the situation, but at least I haven’t had a single freeze, crash or black screen in windowed mode at 2048 x 1152 that way yet.