As we discussed in a presentation at EVE North a few weeks back, we’ve been working internally on a very early prototype for a concept we’re currently referring to as “ACL Bookmarks” or “Shareable Bookmarks”. Today we want to start a conversation surrounding the existing bookmark system and how aspects of it are currently used, as well as getting some feedback on some potential use-cases for the new system.
First off, lets start with an outline of the new prototype as it stands right now:
This concept would be a replacement/extension of the existing bookmark or saved location system, allowing you to create links to locations in space that can be navigated to (through the right click menu or places tab of the People and Places window). Whereas previously, capsuleers could create bookmarks accessible to either themselves or their corporation, this system is designed to be less restrictive and more flexible. In almost all other ways these new bookmarks would be functionally identical to the existing system (for example, we do not intend to change the rules about what you can point a bookmark at).
Bookmarks are stored in folders, which are accessed through Access Lists.
- Those folders can be shared with your corp, alliance, coalition, friends, whoever you want!
- Folders can contain sub-folders to allow bookmarks to be further organized (Existing bookmark folders would be converted into sub-folders).
- Sub-folders are just a one-level organisation tool, they cannot be nested and do not have individual permission settings.
- Shared folders must be “subscribed” to - they do not pop up automatically.
- Shared folders can be linked to allow anyone with access to subscribe.
- There will be limits for how many bookmarks are permitted per folder and how many folders you can subscribe to at one time.
Bookmarks can be set to expire automatically
- We plan to add the option for a bookmark to be set to expire automatically after some time (from a set pre-determined choices).
- The option to expire a bookmark may be either at the Folder, Sub-folder or individual bookmark level.
Now that we’ve got the fundamentals of the prototype explained, lets jump into the use-case questions! Please feel free to answer any or all of them, as they apply to yourself. Whenever possible, please try to give us as many specifics as you can about your personal use-cases (Remember that everyone plays EVE differently and no one’s personal experiences are less valid )
Question 1 - Bookmark Vouchers
In the current system, bookmarks can be extracted from the People & Places window and converted into “physical” items that can be traded with other players. In what ways do you currently use this functionality that would not be covered by the system detailed above?
Question 2 - Bookmark Expiry Lengths
As mentioned above, when setting a bookmark to expire you will be able to choose from a pre-determined set of choices (e.g. 4 hours, 1 day, 7 days). If you were to choose three options for expiry length, which would you choose and why?
Question 3 - Setting Bookmark Expiry
As mentioned above, we are consider whether bookmarks should be set to expire at the Folder, Sub-folder or individual bookmark level. What use-cases do you foresee where you would utilize bookmark expiry, and of these options, which do you think would be the most appropriate level at which to set this expiry?
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this thread, we look forward to the discussion!
CCP Lebowski for Team Five 0