Shooting new players is a good thing! YES or NO?

Birthday, skin colour or sex of the game character or any other info like what you write into your bio etc, are all aspects of the game character. They have nothing at all to do with your RL identity.

In fact all of those attributes can be weaponized in the game in various ways.

Nope
Not at all

You should stop posting instead of polluting this thread with your snowflake views

I’m not talking about your avatar’s skin colour or its gender. The topic also isn’t about them. It’s about the players.

But since this topic has come up and the question has been asked, as well as accusations thrown around, can I not completely wipe away the notion that somebody can be a sociopath and that their behaviour can indeed show by what they do in the game.

The problem you then have is with the generalization that every ganker would be a sociopath, which is flawed.

I don’t see ■■■■ about rl, sociopaths or whatever the hell you’re talking about

I voted no. Though the philos question remains - when does a new player not become a new player.

Eve has a small learning curve (I’m saying this in the scientifically accurate sense). It’s hard to learn the basics. I didn’t really start learning EVE until I became a part of COIM and could pick the brains of really experienced players.

I know the arguments about killing newbies is often linked to sociopathy and I argue the same. If you kill a weak target knowing you’ll loose your asset - it doesn’t do anyone any favors. I think shooting at newbies might be a good way to introduce them to EVE but why kill them. Or if you’re really that good why don’t you kill them in a lesser ship than they are flying - or fly a beginner ship poorly outfitted.

This is a game - true. But I think people who pray on new players are playing sociopathic characters. How would you know they are new? or where do you draw the line? Everything in Null Sec seems a go. Low sec should likewise be a go. However, why would you blow up people who are no threat to you, are not doing anything to impede you or your development or aren’t even worth your blowing them up.

Honestly - what are you going to do - scoop the recks of shuttles corvettes and frigates? I could see battling them in a corbette or frigate to actually challenge your bassic skills or prowess but that is combat for combats sake which is not primarily what killing newbies or ganking is about.

So gate camping in high sec to blow a industrial and have a buddy scoop the wreck. Why not. that makes sense to me. There is a benefit. industrial pilots should not be newbies.

It would be nice though it the pvp side of everything wasn’t sorta like - if you’re in a ship - we kill ya and that’s that.

Also, ganking miners? Yeah, that’s fine. But to systematically target specific miners or clear out whole mining fleets by gank to control a system seems really strange to me. Sure you can control the system or get scoop the wrecks but it doesn’t seem to be honorable - equivalently profitable or even difficult.

Maybe miners should be on their toes or if they aren’t paying attention maybe they should die. But targeting venture pilots in normal space seems lame. Why? It makes no logistical sense or financial sense and unless you want to control mining rights to the system there’s no real resource isk incentive for such behavior.

All in all, I don’t know why anyone should shoot down corvettes frigates or ventures just for the hell of it. Obviously if they are wh or relic or data site mining or even combating a site you had tagged - sure - but why kill a guy trying to go from point a - b.

I think - one of the most important things you can provide in your controlled space is safety and travel to benign pilots. But you kill everything and that just makes all of space rediculously dangerous all of the time in counterintuitive ways. It doesn’t mean EVE is like the real world. It means it’s like you get shot at or stabbed every time you leave your house to go to the grocery store even though your minding your own business.

I think people should have more tact. Maybe I’m a crybearing baby. Or maybe one day I’ll make it my mission to hunt and kill people who hunt and kill benign targets. Who knows. Right now? I like to mine.

2 Likes

Well, ingame James 315 has been elected as the leader of HighSec, and CODE. agents are enforcing his just laws. So if we continue the analogy then the anti-gankers must be RL anarchists who happily would murder people. Sadly enough there is at least one data point supporting this theory.

2 Likes

I read the rule of Code a while back. I thought it was a sort of interesting idea to set rules like that. I do think Code does some good policing people that aren’t paying attention. However, I think it’s very strange that James 315 can convince so many people that this is a legitimate way to spend your time. It doesn’t even sound fun. To each their own I guess. Maybe some day I’ll focus on marauding fleets to oust such ridiculousness.

Code is a joke. James 315 is a guy with a reasonably interesting idea but for CODE to be taken seriously? Laughable. If they target me, I shall learn to fight and kill and rally to my side the fiercest warriors for the side of righteous sovereignty of self.

My point being - code is interesting but it can just as easily be fought off. And I haven’t elected James 315 anything.

2 Likes

Depends on the player and his will to learn and adapt to his environment tbh

I learned a lot about the game before I jumped in so I can’t say I was “new” very long.

But some still act surprised in very basic 10+ years into the game.

Roll an alt, you’ll find a bunch of nice and knowledgeable people

Not whatever it is you were expecting lol

Sadly, not voting means that your opinion is invalid. Polling booths were clearly signposted at all hisec libraries, schools, churches, fedo kennels and pole dancing establishments.

This thread could do with closing now. Where’s Nitshe when you need him? He can get a thread closed quicker than goose shiz.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any anti-gankers in the game to be fair. I’ve watched others getting ganked and just recently and right next to me, too, but there is nobody who saves them or whatever it is that anti-gankers do.

I’m afraid, but any analogy on anti-gankers you see can only be as valid as their existence itself is.

1 Like

I got a chuckle out of if you didn’t vote you’re opinion doesn’t matter. My voting station was closed and they wanted triplicate ID.

3 Likes

I think every offensive needs defensive but from what you say - I think your right anti hankers don’t nexessarily combat gamblers through combative kills. Maybe it’s harder done than said but most things are.

1 Like

I watched a lot of eve videos before I played and still struggled - wasn’t until I met experienced players that I really learned as much as I wanted. I think if people think Eve is one kind of thing they are the ones going huh? Ten years later.

3 Likes

Don’t be silly, you know as well as I do that there is a group of people who self-identify as anti-gankers. We can use them as a baseline. I’ll readily admit that they are extremely ineffective and largely limit themselves to toxic whines in their intel channels.
Which would be a good thing, because if their ingame behavior reflects their real-life behavior I’d rather have them be ineffective and lazy than active and killing police officers.

2 Likes

I barely got the joke? I feel like anti gank would be about as hard as hunting down a specific player??? But I’m conjecturing now

1 Like

You mean on the forum? Sure, but if it doesn’t translate into the game then what’s there to talk about?

1 Like

The problem is with the mindset of most anti-gankers. It should be no surprise that people who think you shouldn’t shoot spaceships in a game about shooting spaceships tend to be very bad at it.
When gankers strike there is usually only a small window of opportunity to stop the gank. This requires a bit of tactics and dedication of time and effort, which is usually beyond the anti-gankers capabilities. The best they can do is whore on concord killmails while the target of the gankers still dies.
Again as part of their mindset they often post forum threads how someone else needs to form an ingame corp or alliance to stop gankers, or - even better in their mind - CCP needs to forbid it. Actually making ingame effort is too much for them.

Yes, there are actual people in this game calling themselves anti-gankers. They even have pretend intel channels and such. Proof can be found on zkillboard, I have a few losses there where they whored on concord killmails.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s no proof. Whoring on CONCORD doesn’t make one an anti-ganker. An antri-ganker to me would be someone who shoots down red characters in high-sec or a Catalyst that’s about to gank a Hulk. I’ve seen quite of few ganks, but not a single gank that was prevented. As far as I know does CODE. have a structure in Uedama and nobody has attacked it either.

I’m going to bow out here. This sounds too much like the bat crazy stuff that went on in the C&P Meme Library thread, which now got locked, because of all that nonsense.

If you think I’m mistaken and you have actual proof of anti-gankers then I’m happy to believe it.