Someone's spread a nasty rumor . .

Well, this certainly explains a lot about Kim’s behavior.

I knew she had it in her too but was thinking it was more along the lines of one of her numerous Thorax or missile miniatures.
:rofl:

5 Likes

Toys are more fun when you got someone to play with.

5 Likes

Good thing nobody knows about the video logs I keep… I thought about jettisoning them into a nearby star, but I dont want to lose even one moment to bad memory…

My immediate reaction to this was that I should venture into Caldari space and spread some learning around. Maybe missionary style. Probably not.

But then from ‘missionary’ I had the sudden understanding that this may very well be the same thought process Amarr have when they force their god onto people in the name of some great destiny.

So now I possibly have some insight into why Amarr are so pushy.

I’ve been enlightened by this thread?!?!

1 Like

Nope, most Amarr are just zealots with a divine mandate to force people to think they are right through any means necessary, often violence…

3 Likes

Aww, darn. I kind of liked the idea of grasping some insight into the thought processes of our enemies.

But hey, now I can go bed some Caldari women with a clean conscience.

3 Likes

If that’s your thing go for it. And talking to them the best way I’ve found for that, they’ll tell you with what they don’t say or avoid more than anything you can dream up on your own.

3 Likes

If I said something similar about the Matari, Ms. Vess, it seems like I’d have at least five people crawling straight up my nose and burrowing out the back of my skull.

You used to think it was a mistake to think in such a way, or seemed to.

Should I treat you as an enemy to be destroyed, instead of a fun and interesting person to talk to? No … even if it would make some things easier, I don’t want to.

You helped me once, to clear the fog from my eyes. I remember how it felt when that fog lifted. I won’t forget, even if you do.

I won’t forget for any of you. Even if I’m angry, even if I’m frustrated, even if I’m sad, I’ll remember. Even if you curse me for it and call me brainwashed, programmed, lost, an apologist and puppet of the enemy, I’ll remember what you showed me, what you helped me see.

I’m still a fighter, sometimes. I’ll kill who it falls to me to kill. But I won’t cheat and tell myself you’re anything but human, or that your lives are without weight and your deaths to be rejoiced in or that we could never have been friends.

I’ll remember.

I don’t make promises much. I want to be able to keep the ones I make.

But I promise that.

2 Likes

No. Just no. You’ve actually managed to put me at a loss for words.

Forcing people to have sex against their will is called rape. It’s wrong. Enslaving people is also wrong.

Sex and slavery should only be undertaken by consenting adults.

I really cannot believe I have to point this out. My high is totally ruined.

Also, what the ■■■■ Aria? Stop ■■■■■■■ talking about killing people and stuff. Gods.

Killing people is also wrong. I’m going to tell Mistress about you. Just go erase all that trash you wrote and go take some Beep. Or meditate. Or pleasure yourself.

Haha, sorry, Doctor. Something about the way Ms. Vess was speaking just … hurt, I guess. I’ll take it to Off-Topic if more needs to be said.

1 Like

Seriously, if no one’s tossed it out, or moved it (And why would they? Imperial doctors can’t find the clavicle with a copy of “Green’s Anatomy”, an AIMED, and labeled holoimaging, so they’ve more than likely never even looked in the med cart. And you know I’m right, given the number of their mistakes I’ve had to clean up. LIKE PUTTING PATIENTS IN COMAS FOR NO REASON!), in the second from the bottom drawer, there’s at least, uh, some doses of beep. I can’t remember how much I proscribed myself, and I really didn’t do inventory when I left.

Code is 062876.

Imperial medicine in general sucks, but their pharmacology is annoyingly top-notch.

Actually this has always been a strange blind spot of yours. Their medicine is first-rate, and cybernetics in particular; they’ve got such long life-spans the place is all but a gerontocracy.

But … thanks? I don’t think I need it for myself, though.

1 Like

Uh-huh. I’ve been a doctor for almost eighty years. I have never, ever, not once in all that time (though, admittedly I took some time off to teach, pick up a PhD, and go through the capsuleer program) seen some of the mistakes that I had to correct. Either I am the the most unluckiest MD in the whole cluster, or the general quality of Imperial MDs is atrocious. I’m not that special. So, I’m going to go with the latter.

Personally, I think their pharmacology and cybernetics cover for the lack of actual decent skill among medical practitioners.

And–this is the most damning–they won’t even bother to correct genetic defects. Maybe that’s a pet peeve coming from a geneticist, but seriously.

As for the Beep, did you read what you wrote? You strolled in here and started preaching about murder. Yes, you need to mellow. I’d tell Kimmy to take something, too, but it’d be even worse than me arguing with Mistress to come to . . . uh, you know, never mind that.

Aww, ■■■■ it, I’m going to have to get on my neocom, I think. My high is ruined anyways.

The answer is more drugs and caldari comedy shows.

1 Like

I think you either confuse or are placing some form of hostility in my words. If that was not the case then we would not be arguing slavery. If that was the case, in the thread about the possibility of peace between our people the idea of allowing Amarrian missionaries to our home worlds would not even be a thought (brought up by Aldrith incase you were wondering, I’ll find the specific post if you wish). I would highly believe many of my kin would accuse me of being idealistic or a dreamer for believing that peace between our people could be possible via peaceful means. As a realist I think the opposite. It is possible, just not on anyone’s terms alone.

I don’t paint the Amarr with the same brush as no people are uniform, even the Caldari as I have come to find out first hand. This is simply a truth. The scriptures seem to confirm this. The basis of their peoples society as it is , confirms this. In the Amarrian mindset the scriptures are law, they are conscience itself. Should that be considered something to look down upon?

Half of the silly sayings and such I say are the product of those who came before me. My whole mindset is the product of listening to my grand parents while my parents worked all the time. My grandmother being a freed slave who still muttered Amarrian prayers in times of distress, my grandfather fighting to free Amarrian slaves many years ago I’ve literally watched a pure Matari and an Amarr practicing husk of a Matari make peace, who made my father work together in harmony, watching over my brother and myself. Its possible…

To say the words of our forefathers be it from them directly or in writing as something wrong is ignorant. Every people in the cluster is based on such things. Caldari and home, Gallante and freedom of the individual, Amarr and their god, Matari and our tribes, these are all that. How dare I say that? Its simply a truth. One can only hope to cultivate those who can view such a thing as a universal truth and not view everyone as wrong for not paying homage to their own cluster view. Your god even preaches that, though specifically towards the Amarr.

I’m a Matari warrior, not a fighter. The only difference is a fighter can’t extend a hand in peace, a warriors main goal is to make peace possible. That doesn’t mean I can’t, that just means I don’t have to rely on combat if the situation doesn’t call for it. That is stupid, wasteful of resources, and completely useless towards our goals. When talking peace, the ignored issues are considered a no generally. A no generally is why we can’t have peace it seems.

4 Likes

I didn’t believe your brainwashed, programmed, or any of that. I believe you need to clear your mind and see the forest through the trees. Question more, ignore the voice in your head telling you you already know because you will never stop learning, you will never stop creating impressions in your mind as long as you never stop asking “why.” You will never know, life is based on finding out why.

2 Likes

Actually, Deitra, as much as I like what you’ve said here I do kind of think you’re wrong about this.

I’ve done a lot of travelling, mostly in the first year but even since then. And, you know what I’ve mostly found, wherever I’ve gone?

People. Not zealots for God, or the State, or Freedom, or … anything at all, but families living out their lives, focusing on surviving together into tomorrow, and the day after. Ordinary, quiet people. They might be believers in their society’s cause, whatever that might be, but their actual role is to support each other, and that’s where their daily thoughts are turned: doing errands, getting that order filled, fixing dinner, seeing to the little ones, getting that nice bottle of wine for a treat … the stuff of daily life.

Maybe you can justify calling such people “zealots” based on what they believe, on the supposed demands of those beliefs. But they have more in common with each other, even across national and cultural boundaries, than with folk like Mitara Newelle and Mizhara … or even you and me.

That’s what “most Amarr” are like, I think. And also most people in general.

4 Likes

Maybe zealots was the wrong choice of words, you can’t really deny that if the Amarr faith was the right choice in Matari eyes they would be flocking to be fitted for collars in droves. The family and community cause is very important, don’t get me wrong but nationalism is as well. The sense that your kin are right and theirs are wrong. Would you say, given the current climate in the cluster, family is more important than nationalism? Isolated pockets it probably is the case but then it’s a case of some lower scale, “micro nationalism,” mother knows best in other words.

2 Likes

Nationalism?

Oh, right. You’re in the State; naturally there’d be some bleed-through even if your own culture didn’t tend that way (and it does).

Hmm. So-- here’s the thing, Deitra: nationalism’s useful because it’s a way of sort of “marshaling the troops” on a civilization-wide scale. The State has a huge amount of it as just kind of general background radiation, and it’s been that way at least since the Great War, partly because it’s a way to keep the Caldari as a people focused on putting one foot in front of the other and looking grimly over the border at the Federation instead of at each other. Its utility’s pretty impressive, but it’s a dangerous force; as Tibus Heth’s mercifully-short reign demonstrated, it can drive you into wars you weren’t actually quite ready to fight, or to win.

As such, it can be kind of a tool of the regime but it’s something that has to be drummed up when appropriate and otherwise allowed to settle into quiet.

Right now, actually, while I hear a good bit of it (or related noises) from Matari capsuleers, I think your society as a whole is easing back from it. Does it really look to you like the Republic is girding for war? To me it looks more like it’s struggling with serious internal troubles and easing back from a war footing, suggesting an understanding that while the Matari as a people might be primed to act and it won’t take much to touch off an explosion, the Empire’s an enemy you’re not actually well-situated to bring down.

There’s been an edge of frustration to the voices of the real militants lately. To me it seems like Maleatu Shakor, having risen to power, is having to actually rule instead of being able to sit back and criticize the rulers, and he’s realized your country’s not ready for war. It’s just fortunate he’s more of a pragmatist than Tibus Heth was, or you might indeed find the nationalistic drumbeat growing louder and the Matari preparing to dash themselves against the Empire’s forces just the way some of your more gung-ho kin seem to want you to.

Nationalism’s a tool, an identity-pride used to maneuver and direct the otherwise somewhat abstract and distant ship of state. It’s an ingredient, and a necessary one, almost everywhere, but to varying degrees. Your kin do show a lot of pride, but, actually, I think their nationalism is being eased back by those who lead them instead of stirred into flame.

Also: if I decided I wanted to convert, I wouldn’t be lining up to be fitted for a collar, either-- it’d be more like I’d be swearing oaths of fealty. People who join the Amarr willingly aren’t normally enslaved, though I guess you could argue nobody’s really “free” in Amarrian society.

Actually I’m not sure believers outside the Empire are required even to sign up as somebody’s vassal. Maybe they’d get around to that in a few centuries, but in the meantime I think an Amarrian believer who’s a Federal citizen is just that.

2 Likes

Proper inclusion into the faith requires entrance into the Book of Records, which entails becoming a citizen of Amarr. While there are still believers outside of the Empire, there is an element of “signing up” required for that faith to be considered true.

1 Like