Thanks for the Grand Prix event....not

Untrue.

Not fun for you, sure.

Fun for me, yes.

Fun for the gankers, yes.

This is one of those cases in which accepting that gankers are players too is important, as is understanding that your fun is not everyone else’s fun.

I went on an alt with no implants in a ship I was completely prepared (and expecting) to lose. I made it, zero deaths, despite 4 attempts on my life. That felt great.

Seriously.

As I crossed the finishing line in Luminaire at tne end of the Northern route I felt like I was winning at EVE.

2 Likes

I think I can safely say that for the majority of players in Eve, ganking is an unwanted, unintended side-effect of what the developers intended when they created this game.

Dray Cil

2 Likes

Then what do you do in Eve? If you don’t gank then what else is there worth doing?

And the corps that devised methods to do it without dying, how do you think they feel hmm?

You do know you can go around MHC-R3, right?

2 Likes

I think you’re not understanding my definition of “ganking”. It is unconsensual PVP, usually at gates, by a large group of people that will suicide their ships in order to get a kill mail. In this case, they didn’t need to suicide. I’m all for PVP like I said, but I do tend to play on the industrial side of the game, and I find that entertaining enough to pay for my subscription. God knows people love to PVP, all the power to them, but gate campers and suicide killers in hi-sec is dumb, in my opinion.

Dray Cil

PS. Let’s not create this thread into a “Carebear vs. PVP” fight. I was simply pointing out this event was slightly flawed, in my opinion. You can have yours. We can agree to disagree.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s fair to say at all.

Certainly doesn’t seem to hold true if there were that many of them out and about during the Gank Prix that they spoiled your fun.

Logic dictates that a lot of people are ganking, and so your statement that ganking is unwantwed kinda crumbles in the face of that truth.

CODE. and Safety would have a thing or two to say about this too.

The ‘Burn Jita’ tradition.

It’s all ganking.

This is EVE.

I’m in category b) by the way - not a ganker but have absolutely no problem with their existence, as for me they bring the challenge and the content and the risk that is very much needed in EVE.

3 Likes

The best way to grief gankers is to do this without dying. I griefed gankers today, did you?

Tips:

You can do this on a low SP alt if you use the free Expert System.

You need a sub 2s align. 2.01 isn’t good enough. Figure out how to do that.

The first 2 legs don’t go to null so there won’t be any bubbles. You don’t need to be interdiction nullified for those.

When you’re in lowsec, check local for a flashy red. If there’s no flashy red, it’s incredibly unlikely that there is a smartbomber (unless you happen to be unlucky enough to be his FIRST victim,) so you can warp to the gate.

For all beacons in low-sec or nullsec, warp to a moon first, then to the beacon at RANGE.

As you warp to a non-high sec beacon, you should already have your warpout in your selected item and be spamming it. If you plan to sit at the beacon and wait for your next destination to appear, you will die.

When you’re in nullsec, smartbombers won’t show up as flashy red. So look at the map for systems where there are a lot of kills. When you get to those systems, warp to a moon and then to the outgate.

Not getting damaged is your best tank.

5 Likes

Yes I did.

I imagine the guys in the smartbombing Apocalypse and Rokh who watched the back of my Rifter dissapear through the gate with just 400 hull points left felt very griefed.

:smiley:

2 Likes

I actually had 2.85 on my Rifter and made it through with zero deaths.

Now maybe I was just lucky, but even then, the thrill of completing the entire event in a 2 second align 4000 EHP Rifter should not be underestimated.

Sure you can fly something technically more likely to succeed, but I would like to stand as evidence that a sub 1m SP character in an 8 million ISK Tech I Rifter can do the whole thing with zero deaths and love every minute of it.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

great game, useless in lowsec when you get blasted every few seconds by lazy players.
i’m done with this game for a while, waste of time.

2 Likes

Sounds like that just happened lol

1 Like

Just to add a potentially helpful tip here

When you warp to a non-high sec beacon, you can warp to 50km and the objective will still update. I combined this with a Prototype Cloaking Device which meant I could warp in, hit cloak, sit and read the next objective, align while still cloaked to the next destination and then Cloak off / hit Warp insta leave the area.

At least twice I warped to beacons and my whole Overview lit up with yellow and red, and a warp to 0km in those cases would probably have ended very badly.

1 Like

I didn’t say people aren’t. I said that ganking is a workaround that relies on camping spawns, because there are too few alternatives built into the foundation of the game.

I am not against piracy, I am against the fact that it always punches down, and the people who have built their version of fun out of what amounts to a random loot box game are so protective of it that they shoot down all discussion of it. Ultimately, I would like to see less piracy around gates where a gang can sit for hours at a time ganking.

There is currently no incentive or realistic ability for people to form organised opposition to this, which surely all good gankers have told us for decades is the answer? There needs to be a direct in-game benefit to resisting the gankers as a group of pilots. Not a corp, but a militia of some kind that earns rewards for taking down criminals.

4 Likes

You were just lucky. :grinning: But congratulations, that was quite an accomplishment.

It’s certainly possible to complete this in a shuttle or a rifter if your timing just happens to be perfect, but my post was directed mainly at people who want a high survival chance. Once it got to null I had dictors bubbling me as I entered system, you’re simply going to die and be podded if those people are there and you’re in your rifter.

1 Like

Hmmm, I better say this again:

For all beacons in low-sec or nullsec, warp to a moon first, then to the beacon at RANGE.

(By AT RANGE, I mean at 70 or 100.)

1 Like

Thanks.

It was a fun experience and I definitely felt like I was pushing my luck. I pushed, and pushed, and pushed that luck, expecting the fatal blow / smartbomb to land at any moment.

I was kinda dissapointed that I didn’t die at least once tbh :rofl:

Good post from you though, lots of good information.

WHAT THE ■■■■■■■ ■■■■!

What necromantic ritual dragged you out of the ground after so many years?

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

I am beginning to hate this game because of all the power is given to the gankers. All aspects of the game are at the mercy of them and it is taking the fun out of it if you do not want to be an ass hole ganker. They have too much power in this game and some balance needs to be given back to the builders and not the destroyers!

3 Likes

Man, for all their faults, I really feel bad for CCP. Imagine putting so much work, effort, and creative energy into a life’s work just to have some random aspies ■■■■ all over it every hour of the day, every day of every week of the year.

3 Likes

They are probably very confused. People say they hate them, but then they keep paying their subscription fees.

1 Like