The Orca

Launching drones is just a hotkey and sure it doesn’t sit well compared to combat drones and having aggressive settings set active.

The current Orca does promote afk mining though and instead of this blanket ore redistribution plan that looks like it was fired from the hip.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying to mine in a battleship, although you can do that, but not sure how effective that would be. I was relating it to other quality of life activies that are “afk” acitives. Combat drones should have ammo capacity and need to return to the ship to reload every signle time and you need to command the drones back to the target after ammo has been loaded. Maybe this is a better example for relation.

I do own Orca’s, Exhumers, Barges and Frigats. I do enjoy them all, but an Orca can mine for three hours in high sec and make maybe 60mil isk. A PvE pilot can run L4 mission for 3 hours and make almost 10x that. So yeah the Orca can mine and mine and mine, but it doesn’t make anything. It should be buffed to mine more not less.

1 Like

How the hell does anything fly of beyond recovery in space unless it burns up in either a sun or planets atmosphere. This is a space sim not an arcade game

Like carriers you mean? How they need to return to refuel. Micromanaging that sounds great.

Changes to the Orca if any wouldn’t effect me at all I don’t think and it was just a view at a distance suggestion.

1 Like

I can understand Nerfing the Orca for the sake of stopping afk mining, however, not all of us afk mine, I just spent the last 2 hours mining with my fleet, my Orca keeps me in the belt without having to go back to a station and empty my hold every 20 mins with smaller vessel. it provides me with a meager mining boost and gets me all the essentials that keep me comfortable in a system with little resources like fitting stations for swapping out crystals and such extra cargo space for storing loot from rats.

3 Likes

So hears the deal with that…

They always try to fix ■■■■ with the nerf hammer. It very seldom hits the intended mark. Perhaps they should try the seldom used buff hammer instead. Give people a reason to be elsewhere doing other things without destroying anything in the process.

3 Likes

The main reason is powercreep. Buffing everything always leaves uniterated areas behind and generally ruins games.

The Orca was the problem, so the Orca gets nerfed.

Since power is relative, nerfing the orca is a buff to barges.

2 Likes

Thats the same logic they’ve always used and it almost never works. See combat ceptors v assault frigs as a recent example. Lift the useless dont break the useful. A certain amount of creep is to be expected, and even good at times. We are playing a 18 year old game.

1 Like

I was not a party to this gank, nor did I witness it. I showed up at the Ice Belt a couple minutes later, saw a CLOUD of blue, asked what happened, and was shown this zKIllmail

What’s my point? I don’t know. I’m an idiot…

But I will say it seems very odd to me that someone who can afford an Orca is in a starter corporation

No it’s very rarely good. Very very rarely.

You say use the buff hammer, but look what happened when they buffed the orca. The rorqual. HACS.

If one ships is left behind the others, sure maybe give it a boost. But if it’s two ships out of a group of ~10 ships, then fix those two ships not the rest.

Buffing everything else to keep up with the orca has implications outside of their little ecosystem. It has an impact on mining as a whole, on ganking and destruction etc.

No power creep is not good. Power creep is why we are in scarcity right now.

1 Like

The orca is not op, and they dont need to “keep up”. They need to be viable solo. They aren’t and nerfing the orca won’t make them any better. It would force their use, but only if it was severe enough to make the orca completely unusable and they’d still be just as shitty as they’ve always been.

See when they nerfed assault frigs speed for the second time trying to force ppl to use combat ceptors we had this same exact discussion. Do you know when people started flying them again? Thats right, when they caught a much needed buff. Something that made them shine in a role, not just be capable of it. Thats what needs to happen here. I was right then, and I’m right now. Its the same argument.

Edit: rorq never needed to exist imo. Add compression to orca and delete rorq would be fine with me.

2 Likes

Based on your very qualified opinion right?

Not like we had pre-buff orca and barges doing just fine. Not like the Mack and Rettie were the most popular barges because they did just fine as solo miners.

You’ve got used to having it too good. But don’t worry, you’ll survive cold turkey…or not. Game’s better off either way.

1 Like

I’m not an orca miner, in fact i very seldom mine at all. I just know stupid when I see it. This is the same stupid cycle we’ve seen over and over again, and it will eventually end one of two ways. Ccp will break the orca but not severely enough to make it useless. People will still use it over barges. Then they’ll break it again, and still it will be favored. Eventually they’ll buff the barges in some creative way and people will use them again. Ofc the orca stays broken in this scenario, but had they just buffed the barges/exhumers in the first place none of the other bs would’ve been necessary. Or they will stagnate and do nothing of note on the topic.

Sure sure. Just like everyone else crying in this thread.

Since it seems you are too lazy to check yourself…

Have look, I kill Orcas not fly them. When I do mine its in a barge, because I can’t be assed to invest the training time to max out an orca which is the only time its worth using.

Look at my killboard. I’m ‘not in faction warfare’.

What does fw have to do with anything? Aside from it needing a complete overhaul.

I’m just saying that your killboard doesn’t prove that you don’t use orcas. The same way that it doesn’t prove that i don’t partake in FW.

Oh… cuz I probably have 50 orca alts right? You’re just gonna have to take my word for it i guess. Or don’t idgaf.

CCP Rattati seems pretty clear that something will be changing this year:

snip

3 Likes