The Orca

Maybe you should read the conversation before responding to something that is not about you.

Or maybe you are feeling like it was about you?

Developers have to change things that are bad, broken or poor design and no matter what they do some players always whine and quit.

So

BYE :rofl:

It is true that major changes will always cause some to quit. I remember when they stopped supporting Windows XP, and again when they changed Stealth Bombers from Cruise Missiles to Torpedoes, many players were very deeply unhappy. The Stealth Bomber change in particular made me bitterly angry at the time, but I got over it.

More focus brings on it’s own benefits and by adding more interaction to carry out a task such as mining also calls for greater rewards.

Ie; do more and then receive more.

3 Hulks and an Orca will outmine 4 Orcas.

Hows that for more?

2 Likes

The solo Orca Pilot should not be set and forget.

Just to sum up.

• Catalysts
  • Bumping
  • Catalysts and Bumping
  • If you’re alone, use a Catalyst to gank drones.

The problem with replies in this thread, and so many other threads on here, is people just asking CCP to change things for them, instead of using their agency, provided by CCP already, to act on their own.

1 Like

The opening thread asks us what would they nerf and we came up with ideas based on that question on this Orca thread.

I agree with your assessment.

Yes they did, 100% ewar immunity was completely broken. First good change in recent memory.

Thats correct, they will be shooting themselves in the foot. Again.

Man, you dismiss people so quickly. Rattati, is that you? Cuz, the less people that log in, the less people that will login. It’s a cycle that feeds on itself. If I don’t have anybody to kill ill just play rust till ccp unfĆ«cks itself.

It already is not. I’ve seen people do it on moons with huge rocks, but thats it. Even then when the rock pops they just sit there wasting potential yield. Lacking other giant rocks set and forget is simply not a thing.

2 Likes

The Orca pilot that does decide to mine that way had already accepted any potential yield loss anyway and by doing this set and forget opens the possibility of botting using many pilots alts.

&

&

@ Moriar theChosen

And
 They are vastly more likely to be ganked. The problem is?

1 Like

Found the problem, there never should have been a reason to fly a COMMAND SHIP solo.

It’s a fleet ship by definition.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter that it lowers their yield. A little bit of yield whilst afk is still more than zero yield. And since the Orca can split it’s mining drones across 5 different rocks it very much is ‘set and forget’.

That is the attraction of the orca to some people:

This is the flagship configuration for Orca drone mining. This requires the highest skills and will get you the highest yields of both Ore and Ice. This can be used Semi AFK as it can sit on ore or ice an average of 30 to 45 minutes before needing to be touched.

https://www.eveworkbench.com/fitting/orca/42613d95-fd0b-4f07-f85f-08d6a95f7e76

1 Like

And when you compare that to the original mining where you have to move ore out of the hold every 2-3 minutes it is plain where the root issues in mining have always been.

All those nerfs to ore and asteroids were pointless, sadly.

1 Like

Well that’s no doubt part of it. The ease of multi-boxing something so low maintenance lets you upscale to near infinity.

But the Orca had a large capacity pre-buff yet people didn’t use it in such a way because the yield made the pay-off just far too long. Same with a miasmos equipped with a mining laser. There is clearly a yield threshold where even afk friendly mining isn’t worth it for all except a few cases.

2 Likes

This is the bigger picture and reason for the views of many.

My issue was with the blanket reduction of availability of blue ice and even though the Orca might not or did not play a part in that, it doesn’t change the fact that I am now salty and set in my ways for supporting a nerf to the Orca’s ability to afk and mine.

Patently false for belt ore. T2 mining drones eat the tiny little belt rocks so fast you are constantly reassigning them. One of the 5 rocks is constantly popping. You may have time to go piss, but thats about it. Probably true for ice though since its a single drone and the ice chunks are relatively large.

Right, glad you understand where you’re at.

1 Like

Thats right, you know why, to “fix” the problem that was really this ship all along they took out the large asteroids.

/duh

The orca was not the intended target with rock size nerfs. That was the rorq’s fault. Honestly I think rorqs shouldn’t exist at all. Add compression to the orca and delete them all.

Yes, since Oct 2020 when the Blue Ice was reduced or moved from my home location.

I can be salty if I want about that change.

/

No Please