This in-game advertisement is shameful, CCP

Don’t give them any ideas.

1 Like

Well, gotta say I agree with your point - having an ad pop up advising new players to spend money, get a new ship and get revenge is a definite money grab. The fact that due to no knowledge or skill, they’ll lose that second ship as well. That will discourage and push more players away from the game than attract and keep them playing.

The pop-up ad gives the impression that the only way to succeed in this game is to pay money. Most will probably just say F-that and delete the game. A lot of players probably join as Alpha account simply because of CCP’s Alpha advertisements claiming that Eve is free to play. They’ve already dealt with CCP’s ‘Go Omega’ ads during registration / character creation and probably already said no.

Side note: (I still think the ‘Get Revenge’ part pertains to high sec non-consensual PvP, doubt it pertains to duels and wardecs since you go into those half expecting a ship loss. It certainly can’t be revenge against NPC’s because they’re automated, they always attack, they don’t have any feelings and they definitely wouldn’t know that you got revenge on them)

Now about adding expensive packs, CCP is already doing that and I believe this is their most expensive pack ever sold:

https://secure.eveonline.com/packs/details/?pack=black-ops-pack

2 Likes

Seems CCP role is not to educate, but to profit off the player lack of knowledge, or other vulnerabilities.

They already are profitting of gamblers, have gambling mechanism in game also, so CCP just stays being CCP.

Nothing to watch here really. :psyccp:

2 Likes

Actually going by what Hilmar said back during the ‘Summer Of Rage’ - we should watch what they do, not what they say…

Problem is they keep saying a lot of stuff and then do stuff that’s completely opposite of what they said.

2 Likes

From this: Corporation as Psychopath | SpringerLink

Corporate psychopathic behavior describes a form of corporate conduct, which meets the psychiatric criteria for human psychopathy, that is, a failure to conform to social norms and the violation of accepted ethical standards without remorse. The parallel between corporate and human psychopathy exists due to moral projection, whereby corporate actions are seen as analogous to human actions because of the status of “legal person” or “corporate personhood” granted to corporate entities under corporate law.

I am afraid it will be like that, always.

2 Likes

That is no reason to not call them out for their ■■■■■■■■.

They will only make more money, ignoring you.
The reason they did it in first place was not because of you. It was made because new players can pay them more.

Take me, I am a very bad customer, I only complain, while not paying anything.

Maybe I like to think highly of fleeting up with newbies to show them some things, but its even more bad for CCP money making schemes. CCP will not listen.

1 Like

Bootlicker

1 Like

I’ve been paying a yearly sub for most of my 13 years in this game, also at various times I’ll buy PLEX and the game packs.

I even don’t mind seeing the ads on the launcher or having a pop-up in game saying you need to be Omega when you try to do something as an Alpha.

However this new pop-up ad targeting new players for money immediately after their ship gets destroyed just reeks of willful arrogant monetization of the game.

I remember when micro-transactions were first implemented, CCP’s response to the roar of the playerbase about ‘Gold Ammo’ was that MT’s would only be vanity items and nothing else. When CCP implemented Skill Extractors and Injectors, they said that all SP’s would be created by character skill training and no selling of skill points created from nowhere.

Now there’s MT’s for SP’s, Tech 1 skills, ships and equipment. In fact they’ve already started doing T2 skills… And to think that 10 years ago it all started out very small and innocent looking but now I fear it’s grown way too big to stop. All we can do now is hope they don’t implement Gold Ammo MT’s…

7 Likes

I think we can see a “logical” progression of CCP’s behavior here, and I think you’re correct in how you frame it.

CCP gets away with a lot of these ads because older accounts see far fewer of them. I encourage everyone to make a new alpha account, and see just how many ads for PLEX/RL purchases you’re slogged with, even as Omega, which, IMO, should automatically remove any and all kinds of advertisement, as deplorable as it is now for Alphas.

You get targeted monetary ads based on the Activity Tracker too, thanks to the new expert systems.

2 Likes

You can buy faction ammo with plex.

You can also produce Faction ammo with BPC’s and materials.

Anyway, that’s not the type of ammo I was referring to when I said Gold Ammo.

Glad you like it.
I love you too
:kissing_heart:

Gold ammo is a term that comes from world of tanks. It’s ammo with far superior stats that when it was introduced you could only buy with cash, meaning you were quite literally shooting money.

These days you can buy it with in-game money but the cost is so much higher that most players, who are simply not good enough, are forced to run a premium account for the increased rewards in order to use it with any regularity.

3 Likes

Instead of gold ammo we have expensive battleships and capitals, that only game rich, knowledgable and skilled Omegas can afford. Some of those ships, like Marauders, can be only flown by Omegas, and people would have to use PLEX or subscription to afford them.

Showing new players that thay can buy in game ISK easily by buying some PLEX from CCP is nothing special. Players would know about this option soon. It only makes that information coming faster to them. Maybe before more viable in game options would go first, yes, it is exploiting vulnerabilities, but that is what gamers see these days, basically everywhere, in more or less camouflaged form. CCP is not special.

1 Like

Coincidentally, WOT is where all the rage quitters went during the summer of shame before quietly rejoining EVE when it was over.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

How can we make more money?
Release decent merchandise that players will want to buy?
Fix the hilariously broken tutorials that do nothing but confuse new players and end up driving them away?
Update PVE so it’s not a botter’s paradise?
Actually listen to the players and fix issue that they bring to us so EVE remains a vibrant, unique, famous game?

Nah
Let’s do daily tasks and a never-ending stream of “events” and push microtransaction as hard as we can.

It’s pathetic.
CCP don’t give a ■■■■ any more.

4 Likes

This is nonsense. Context matters, first of all. There is a gulf of difference between “hey you have the option to buy plex and sell in game if you want” and contextualizing monetary purchases around someone’s first loss as a brand new player.

Your statement about how people acquire battleships/caps etc is equally as nonsensical because PLEXing is absolutely not how most players acquire those ships. A knowledgeable player with minimal skills can daytrip a wormhole and come out with enough to buy a capital. You don’t need a plex/omega to afford them. It’s a ridiculous position to take and frankly if the game were structured that way, it truly should be dead because we’re clearly beyond the pale.

2 Likes

This is just sad. Somehow it feels worse to me than Monoclegate; whereas that was a shock, this feels like yet another straw on the back of a camel whose legs are already beginning to buckle. Feels like the soul of this game has all but evaporated.

2 Likes

I have been looking for a game that is stable and I can play for a very long time.
Almost 2 years ago I started playing Eve because I knew it was around already for a long time and is still active and running good, so I thought it will be around much longer.

Seeing this popup makes me think that Eve is in the cancelation phase where the company that owns it has decided to pull out as much cash as possible before putting it on life support or shutting it down completely.

Makes me sad :frowning:

3 Likes