This isn't the cancer, it's the symptom

clearly CCP loves this because they can drag and drop existing code (triglavian) that doesnt require them to sort out ancient code. it is a painless content gnerator for them

Lol, it’s none of your business. People can buy whatever they want. If NFTs are profitable (and they definitely can be), then CCP should do them.

Bittervet crybaby whiners need to UNINSTALL.

Crack by post would be profitable, so CCP should do that too

Huh? What do you mean theyre clearly doing crack already?

1 Like

Huh. You buy that industrial grade tinfoil don’t ya?

Uh. This gotta be satire right? I really hope for your sake it is ROFL.

1 Like

If anyone is curious about blockchain, I recommend But how does bitcoin actually work? - YouTube by 3blue1brown. The video mentions bitcoin specifically, but it applies to any cryptocurrency, all of which are built on blockchain.

Play to Earn is by far the worst idea for this MMO yet. It will remove the last bit of fun out of the game and turn it into a total grind fest.

Whether it’s NFTs or some other way to take value out of the game, as soon as there’s real dollar cents to be made, it’s going to attract all the botters and account crackers from across the world and it’s going to make the remaining players even more serious about optimizing the hell out of the game.

You’ll be longing for FCs who merely call you every name under sun for making a tiny mistake in fleet.

1 Like

EVE is already a second job to some people, imagine it becoming their first. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

As is often the case for me, I can’t tell if I’m being overly pedantic and misunderstanding what you’re really asking, but here is a pile of words.

Blockchain is like bitorrent. It is not a distributed computing technology. It is a technology that does two things:

1. It distributes to all users a ‘file’. This file is a ledger of transactions.
  2. It uses proof of work to ensure the file being distributed is legit and has not been tampered with.

Importantly, the ‘work’ being performed here is completely independent and totally uncoordinated. Any computer doing work knows nothing about what any other computer is doing. The work being done is hard to do, but easy to verify.

Many computers will do the same work to verify the same block since they don’t know anything about what the other computers are doing. The only thing being passed back and forth are signed copies of the transaction ledger. If you get two copies of the ledger, then you trust and add your ‘work’ to the copy you receive with the most ‘work’ put into it. The work is not necessary for the block chain to operate and it does not contain any useful data or information relevant to the transactions, it is only there to make forgery of a block impractical.

Blocks can be forged in the short term since any new block in the chain has as much work put into it as any other new block, but as the blockchain gets longer, more work must be put into the forged block to make sure it has as much or more work as the valid blocks do. For real time games, the blockchain would be easily fooled without time for the blockchain to mature. Ownership of money or items can be easily reversed, but what has already happened in your game is much more difficult to unwind after the fact.

I’ve seen Linus’ video now and when he offhandedly says ‘offload some tasks’ he almost certainly means the tasks that blockchain would be suited to: Verifying transactions of tokens or currency. Companies would not have to maintain an infrastructure to track who owns what, but could instead consult with the blockchain to make that determination.

What you’re asking for is pooled computational resources and that is not something blockchain provides in any way. Blockchain is a method of establishing decentralized trust and it works better the longer its been since the event (transaction) you’re trying to verify.

1 Like

Ever thought about issuing mining permits as NFT? I think they would be highly popular with the regular forward thinking miner.

I think even CCP would be extremely thrilled if the first actual in-game use-case of NFTs was all about the New Order of Highsec bringing justice to the belts.

now that would be funny.

Permits are already non-fungible tokens. If you’re suggesting to put them on blockchain, what you’re doing is giving people the ability to trade those non-fungible tokens between themselves without your permission, consent, or any other involvement such as fee collection. This is the antithesis of what a government enforcement agency would want.

Oh that is perfectly fine, as the validity of an official documents is usually tied to a persons identity. They can sell it as much as they want, the just have to make sure they have it in possession if they intend to mine or do anything else in New Order space (formerly Highsec).

As long as you understand you are issuing a permit on a trading platform with the caveat that if it is traded it is invalid.

Abyssal mods are each one unique. CCP’s database server is the regulating authority for who owns each one. I can think of them as pseudo NFT’s.

The performance in big battles with them on player’s ships is what it is; adding new external blockchain database lookups (for this or any new unique item) would add new overhead to the “big battles” problem.

??? tinfoil? its just blatantly true. You’re denying reality.

Do you not work for that money? yes or no? yes?

And do you not trade that money for the NFT? yes or no? yes?

and then that NFT is just a digital signature claiming you own it? yes or no? yes?

So you’ve worked hard all day, to earn money, and then you traded it for a bunch of 1’s and 0’s

Sure. Anything has value if someone is willing to pay for it. A dogshit sandwich is worth a million bucks if someone is willing to pay for it. Congratulations. you have a million dollar dogshit sandwich. Instead of buying something productive or that will improve your life.

You have traded your labor for a hoarder’s endorphin rush.

The point is, you’ve done labor, work, spent time out of your life, to obtain that money.
And then you traded that money for some randomly generated 1’s and 0’s that required zero effort to produce.

Its just a way to funnel money out of your pocket. And you don’t even get anything cool out of it. You just get a digital signature saying you own some digital pixels. Digital pixels that anyone can screenshot and duplicate perfectly.

Normally, money is used to exchange labor. But now i can exchange a randomly generated digital signature for your labor. I don’t have to do jack ■■■■ for it. I just wake up every day and see how many more suckers bought my NFTs

2 Likes

people can buy whatever they want. i fully support capitalism.

But i also have a right to criticize and shame you for your poor choices. That is how we teach others not to make the same mistakes you did.

But then safety would only have each other to shoot at, and they would become the bittervet crybaby whiners.

2 Likes

The blockchain does nothing for EVE, think if it just a giant list of things that have been done as a permanent record, it doesn’t help with actually running a game in the least, sure it might store killmails, but thats about it and that isn’t even that important given EVE has its own ESI endpoint for that

The blockchain does nothing for actual performance and nothing it does runs in real time, which is kind of essential for EVE battles :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

People are truly Passionate. "Prepares Gamer, Troll Leader, Filther ganker, Peasant Scammer, All secs except the real one Enthusiast, RELEVANT?? ONCE??? You pick. Below here Brain Starts up:

You’re getting warmer to a bigger picture.
While Getting To understand From 2016 on wards. The Cognition of Gaming and Marketing With a dash of Monopoly.

Replicate this knowledge you have Steered across. to the Recent Mining changes In game as an example of a corporate idea…Wastage is the corrupted files percentage Rendered into your game mechanics. (Efficiency not mined) with Corresponding Netframe Infrastructure …DX9 and 11 Compatibility Changes, (more Resource usage on your end for the same game just “smoother”)
That resource is power and data…
I’ll let you do the rest of the math between EULAS and the fine prints, Could also just be opinions…
Comedians do the same with political propaganda, Forms of Media.
Influences Do talk Shows to fight back. (Conflict is Profitable)
Block Chains Protect the Identities as Public Liability protects workers, Tax is your digital certificate (Proof of work) in the real world just for train of thought.

Emulating these things between privacy and data laws makes it an industry to consumers under occupational subcategories we call jobs or titles.
Vary the Currencies like subcategories.
and you have a market you can inflate through Conflict or rivalry without the form of war.

Best wishes to the new year and your adventures Co Pilots.
EvE is Still EvE if you actually Play it for what it is, a game.
Because we pay for the content that’s changing.
Call it a service but that’s half the issue. No ones protecting what they love or fighting for it.
Pain and Remorse are felt.
It’s always up to you how you react and if you learn anything.

o7

I see. That sounds stupidly wasteful. I did find that there is at least one coin out there trying to put those computational resources to good use (Gridcoin). So, yay for that, I guess.

Well, blockchain aside, I do wonder if pooled computational resources, as you put it, could be the key to infinitely scaling battles.