Triglavian Invasion; A Good Short-Sighted Idea with Poor Long-Term Consideration

Afraid you are massively out of date - that whole overblown NPE was ditched, all they get now is a short series of very easy “shoot the Drifters” missions in a corvette, then told to find a career agent.

4 Likes

The last time I did a tutorial was about two months ago…

But even if they did change it now, it’s been that way for a long time, and people were always complaining about getting blown up, so the argument that this is a player problem and not a game problem still stands.

With all due respect, I think your memory is playing tricks on you re: the tutorial killing you two months ago. But leaving that aside…

The problem is this. It is a common trope on here to to say that this or that type of player will kill / is killing the game, and that the game is therefore better off without them. The reality is that what really will kill the game is if CCP no longer make money that justifies keeping the servers running, etc, etc. That means that the game needs new players, and needs to retain at least some of them , whether they pay through subscriptions, or micro transactions, or forking out money for instant bulk SP…

Of course, some, maybe even a lot of, new players will take a look, decide it is not for them, and walk away. I have done that plenty of times myself with games I have tried. But it is always justified to ask whether the game, as it evolves, is becoming more or less hostile to new player retention.

Lastly, to those others who chuck around the acronym HTFU… not only is it an obscenity, no matter how disguised, but it does not help. This is a computer game, not some drunken testosterone competition. (Then again…) It does not help retention. I am not advocating that the game be made easier, but it needs at all times to be able to embrace a wide range of players, of differing experience, expectations, time availability and commitment, otherwise, eventually, the servers will get shut down when the only players left are hard core veterans going on about how it was all a lot harder when they joined.

The game is changing - that is why a lot have come out in favour of the Triglavian stuff, even if I disagree with them personally - but given the game does change frequently, one cannot simply say that the game cannot possibly be a problem and just blame the wrong sort of player. I first heard about Eve in 2005, but did not touch it for nine years, because all the talk about it being just hardcore PvP put me off. I eventually did join in 2014, and am still here now, paying my subscription, and still enjoying the game, in my own style.

Time for bed.

7 Likes

That was when I made some SP farming characters, around mid-to-late May. So maybe three months?

I’ve said this before: if the goal is to keep CCP as healthy as possible by maximizing their income, what needs to be done is the removal of all PvP in the game (not just in some areas like high-sec, but everywhere, and not just making it opt-in, but a full removal so that it can be marketed as such), the removal of the player market, and finally, the addition of loot boxes and many more micro-transactions.

I can guarantee a significant increase in both revenue and players if that were to happen.

The career agents kill you too.

2 Likes

You are quite right. EDENCOM only wins “You do not have to grind this system again” prize. Hell, it would be nice if minor victory systems would adjust 0.1 either way, depending on which side wins. At least theoretically you could create new routes that way if lets say Enderaillen/Kubinen would become minor victories then they would both be 0.5 systems and suddenly you have a new route past Uedama.

I am sure some other examples exist too.

3 Likes

:red_circle: Vecamia

Aunenen to open up the massive island beyond it.

Galeh to create an alternative route around Domain.

But can you imagine CCP actually introducing thoughthrough and meaningful gameplay that is not destruction? Could you imagine that CCP would introduce the possibility to positively change the astrography of the map instead of just messing it up for the sake of messing it up? You must be kidding yourself if you believe that. :smiley:

MAJORITY of players have expressed how stupid low sec or null gamelay is for them, thru many, many years! Just by staying in high sec and not indulging in the other kind of space.
CCP cant learn anything from it and pushes low and null to them, like some kind of obtrusive merchant wanting to sell you a lame horse!

3 Likes

EVE never should have had so much high-sec to begin with.

1 Like

Why shoudnt it? Who are you to think better then originator of the game idea, game that existed for so many years with high sec, perfectly fine.

5 Likes

:red_circle: High sec is only 1/6th of the game’s systems, and most systems of the 5/6th of the rest of the game are empty. Surely more empty systems will make for a positive change.

8 Likes

This is simply not true, we’ve taken at least 15 low security systems.
We aren’t really bothering with those two up currently for several reasons, mainly, people having to sleep, work, do other things they put off when Niarja popped, as well as those systems being in close proximity to EdenCOMs military roleplayers.

As for all the “Think of the children!” going on in this thread, last night we finished off Nonni and Ahtila with several kitchen sink fleets comprised of mostly new players who seemed genuinely excited after hearing about Niarja and wanted in on the action. Went through the hassle of riding a corvette in to gain standings before swapping to their main ship, a great time was had by all, even those who got blapped by Steve on accident.

What concerns me is that EdenCOM really doesn’t seem to be having fun, like taking this “Savior of the Galaxy” RP way too seriously, idk.

3 Likes

The conversation is veering a bit off topic.

As I mentioned in the Post, most (if not all) of the game-play aspects are outstanding and there is something for everyone. The Triglavian Invasion has brought Capsuleers from every corner of New Eden to fight for their cause. If anyone was in Niarja during the fight, it is a testament to how powerful this new Chapter is.

The issue is the hostile first experience the Triglavian invasions are subjecting new players to, and how this is yet another entry-level barrier placed on top of an already high learning curve, and a lack of adequate direction.

The solution is simple, but it involves ensuring the safety of several systems (Beginner and nearby) by removing them from the algorithm, and a restructuring of the Tutorial, which I am more than happy to outline if approached by the relevant parties (CCP).

It only shows how messy things became. And CCP abviously likes mess they created personally.

2 Likes

Because starter zones in video games typically don’t occupy such huge proportions of their game worlds.

If the game started with very limited high-sec, that would have been a normal, regular aspect of it, and no one would complain about it, unlike people complaining now that a few systems have been flipped.

Let’s take a hypothetical EVE that’s 86% high-sec. Now let’s imagine that CCP wanted to bring that down to, say, 50%. Carebears would scream bloody murder if that were to happen, even though that’s 3x more high-sec than we have today.

It’s all about setting expectations. Y’all got used to being spoon-fed at this level, like a bunch of squirrels in the park who got used to eating from people’s hands, and then lost their own survival instincts. But with less safe space to begin with, maybe players wouldn’t get used to acting like wet rags, and would actually view living in less secure space as the norm.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is that high-sec carebears are weakling cowards, and CCP is partly to blame.

1 Like

I think what they like was seeing the player investment I mentioned.
I think they enjoyed seeing people from all over fighting to make a “permanent change”.

:red_circle:

That is where you are wrong. High Sec is not a starter zone. Starter and Career agent systems are starter zones and those are just a handful of systems. Moreover and in contrast to other games where actual starter zones are secluded from the rest of the game to prevent unfortunate encounters and have a controlled environment (Albion has that), EVE’s starter zones are also part of the game and you can have unfortunate encounters in these systems just like in any other system.

High Sec is a proper part of the game. It is also not true that other games don’t have large, valuable safe and semi-safe zones. Albion has extensive safe and semi-safe zones where people cannot be attacked or only be attacked in certain areas. Get your opinions straight and don’t talk nonsense.

6 Likes

Quick glance to Zkill tells that vast majority of your kills are in high-sec, possibly high-sec wardecs or suicide ganks. So why are you essentially carebearing in high-sec like “weakling cowards” you mock and not roaming low/null since you like to portray yourself as best thing to happen to EVE since sliced bread?

6 Likes

EVE is what it is because it has a High- and Low/Null-Sec.

It is apparent that although your first posts seemed to be sincere and engaged, that you have slowly progressed to reveal how you refuse to understand the clearly written text in the original post, challenge that which can be answered if you had read the original post, and regressed and resorted to insults as a means to justify your narrow-view opinion.
You can play the plethora of other games which provide a “Null-Sec-Only” type of game-play.
“High-Sec Carebares” are an essential part of the community as well.

I would suggest you make sure you “check yourself before you wreck yourself” before your next public display of whatever you want to call this which you are doing.

1 Like

I think you mean Kapli Bread.