This has been suggested by a few people, and even though i agree with the idea somewhat…i think it will just flip the proverbial coin the other way in the means of aggravation setting in instead of them wanting to continue.
That may work for the few that will get hooked with the game after their first death, you know…that revenge thing…but it wont work for all for all of them.
Its not the soul answer for the problem. You cant predict what other players are thinking or wanting out of a game in order to fix a retention issue.
Considering that ISKs is what nowadays makes anything fun, this whole new space will be even more boring with the limited and nerfed resources it has. New players won’t leave it though because it is not safe “out there” which will likely to only lead to even worse player retention. We shall see…
Isk is not or ever has been the “are all and be all” end game goal of this game. You can be broke and have fun. Im not sure why you keep promoting that the almighty isk is all that counts. It is not.
Thats very much intended in this new space. Its not there to supplement the player from birth and beyond. It was never designed for that. That is still a huge misconception on these boards. Its a tutorial space only. Learn what you need to learn and gtfo.
So youre another psychic detective. You have no idea what players will do. I see a lot of members here use that as a foundation of their theories they have no proof of otherwise. Its meaningless banter at this point…until june 9th.
I am not promoting that. Others are. And new players are picking that up. I have spoken to several new players, all were interested in ISK and the best way how to PLEX their account asap so they can go omega without paying cash.
Hence I expect that this became a norm. And if it has, then the new players will get bored in the new safe zone very quickly.
I know it is intented and it is correct approach, we mustn’t give them freebies for no risk. However new players will not see it that way. They will not want to leave the safe space because by declaring that “this is safe space” and “everywhere else isn’t” CCP is deliberately forcing a new player mindset of “it is unsafe outside of safe zone and I get killed immediatelly”. If the intention of the new space was to help new players overcome the fears of getting ganked, this will only make it worse in the end.
Yes I do have quite an experience with gamers behavior and thought process. Either way I merely say this is a possibility. CCP will not retract on the idea, so lets just wait and see who was right.
No, you dont. You only have the experience of players repeating the same behavior through the years and you recognize that behavior…anybody can do that.
You cannot predict what players can and will do…period.
I am hosting small multiplayer server for Neverwinter Nights. Most of my player base are bitter vets who are minmaxing everything. They are very predictable, they will go after best choices, fastest options and will create specialist characters to farm stuff.
New players coming to my server are complete opposite of that, they don’t know basics, they are playing badly, they cannot abuse the game mechanics to the extend that the veterans can and they struggle.
There are always exceptions but the new player mindset on my server is almost identical. They want all the knowhow for free. They want to know what to do, where to go, what class to play and if those informations aren’t in the game they are mad and are leaving. They constantly complain about too slow progression (despite veterans can do max level in less than 24 hours of playing). They complain about crafting being too slow, too complicated and prices at vendors to be too high. They nonstop shouting into chat for help with quests (as there is no walkthrough available on website and the quests are oldschool style). 10% of them ragequits before even getting to max level. 50% ragequits after they reach max level and realize that their toon is too weak to handle hardcore versions of dungeons. BUT normal versions of dungeons are beneath them, those aren’t worth it because the loot is slightly worse so they refuse to farm normals which is intented progression. 30% quits some time after that, often after second or third new toon made by themselves instead of relying on proven build from veterans on discord/wikipedia and only 10% of new players will actually stay. I am running a PVE server but it is hardcore, thus not for everyone and I too have very low new player retention. Which is to be expected. Just as it is for EVE.
Anyway, most of that behavior is shared in EVE except PvP is a factor. And somehow despite this game has a reputatuion of being harsh with PvP and full loot vast majority of new players wants nothing to do with PvP they want to farm ISK undisturbed. Which then obviosly makes them ragequit immediatelly when someone ruins their peaceful farming abruptly.
I don’t know what is your experience with new players that you seem to object against my predictions so hard.
I think thats with every MMO, ARPG and multiplayer game.
I know folks who beeline ■■■■ in Vintage Story straight for copper or well speed running Minecraft.
There is always folks that hyper optimize.
I think in most newbies case, is may be the lack of gameplay exploration (not exploring in eve sense) but exploring mechanics and learning intuitively.
In alot of survival crafting style games, you learn fast that you need shelter and food to survive. Armor helps reduce damage, better weapons kill faster. This is intuitive gameplay. I think eve lacks alot of intuitive gameplay.
You just proved my point. You are basing that off of repeated player behavioral experiences, thats all.
If something is repeated enough, you can recognize what will happen every time…either with new or old players alike.
Im not objecting what repeated behavior will result in. Thats not the predictions im referring to. You seem to think that every new player are like sheep and they will all act the same way and choose the same decisions…which is nothing you, I, or anybody can predict…and in EVE especially.
All MMO’s work this way…you have experience and inexperienced. My experience with new players is the same as yours and everybody elses. I know they are new, they will make dumb decisions, they will need assistance, they will need guidance. I will try to provide them all of that if i can ( except the dumb decisions ). I have no idea what choices they make or will make once they scamper off in their own direction.
I said nothing about a solution. I didn’t say anything about fixing problems by removing local. I want it to cause chaos.
This game has too much intel. Can’t change names, locator agents to watch your every move, easily scanned down structures, combat scanners to find ships and allow direct warp-to, instantly knowing who is in any system and their security status, your exact ship fitting and the value of every attribute down to the last decimal point, etc…
It would be good to get a little anarchy.
Oh all that intel, yet people argued and screamed the moment a player requested the “look outside” feature be added to stations! LOL!!
Something I’ve been thinking that the game would benefit from is a Distress Beacon Button
Distress Beacon Button
Deploys a limited life (10 minutes) warpable POI with the information of the Distressed Pilot and or a written description. Distress Messages could appear in Fleet Finder, Agency and Opportunities. Players who warp to the Distress Beacon POI get a fleet join and fleet formation offer on behalf of the distress player. Players with Criminal Timers will have this distress beacon button disabled for the duration.
And yes, someone could use this to bait people.
As for solving suspect hunting. This is one option, but not the option. EVE’s pirate hunting and bounty hunting is non existent or awfully one sided to scamming.
If what we had was so special, isn’t it just a case of marketing it the right way to them, what made us tick back then and why, instead of caving in to their short-term mentality ?
It’s not really doing this generation any favor by doing exactly what they’re precisely being labeled as, especially even less if it’s purely for economical / business reasons, that’s worse, that’s straight up using them …
Imagine, having a kid with a short attention span problem, do you just accept, and adapt hopelessly to his level, or do you help him go beyond it ?