Walking in stations?

If you want “immersive” get Elite Dangerous.

You’ve got that backwards, actually. CCP had a chance to develop a viable 3D environment and a new gaming market using the World of Darkness people. But they had messed up EVE badly by that point, and in order to try and save EVE they pulled resources out of the WoD team to set up WiS and patch over other holes.

Because they did it in such a backasswards fashion, they nuked their chances with WoD and also came up with a crappy, useless graft-on of WiS.

3 Likes

I Did not know that , Im going from info that the eve dev team stated in 2003, thats why we joined eve, we wanted the full universe experience, we were promised, bars, Dancers, a full enviroment that would mimic reality, not just ships in space killing each other. i used to get that from x wing.

1 Like

this is why eve is losing players, this point of view is not helping eve grow, every other MMO space game out there has adapted and grown with people able to interact with others peoples avatars, let alone housing and walking inside there space ships, and what has eve done over the last 5 years, nerf stuff.

1 Like

I too am a software engineer been programming since 1980 (ZX80) , and you say they need a whole New MMO engine, which was very true 8 years ago but unreal engine is so optimized now, and all the net code is built in, you could easily start a new call and have it running in the background on todays machines. I mean eve was built for 1 core back in the day, and most pc,s have between 4 and 16 these days, im not up on the latest API,s and that stuff, but there must be some common way to share data between engines that is not to laggy , i mean you dont need much enviroment data to move a char around.

1 Like

If EVE would ever want to become real, it would need Walking in Stations with prostitution, sex slaves, gambling, nightcubs, smuggling, and all of that. A space Las Vegas.

That would be the proper simulation of what EVE actually is in the lore. A very flawed world, where people try to survive.

I would be happy with this dancing on stage as i drink my bit based Beer lol. Dolly Dots - P.S. (1981) • TopPop - YouTube

I think you would like this too:

1 Like

Dude you can not beat pans people ever, especially Cherry. :slight_smile: Can you imagine WIS even if these were on a big screen to watch as you played the market and waited for the next fleet, awesome. And this is simple tech these days ,

if ccp made eve a MA- rated game sure…

I agree , but i have only ever come across a few players under 20 in all the time i have played eve, but it would be good if CCP had parental controls could restrict the more adult themes with a lock. this is easy to do, i have been doing this for 30 years to stop underage people accessing adult content.

For comparison: it takes Ashes of Creation 100 developers and a forked version of Unreal Engine 4 --which prevents them from upgrading to Unreal 5 – in order to produce what looks to be a run-of-the-mill themepark RPG-centric MMO. Folks in this thread are asking CCP to magically conjure those level of resources and more.

We can then also go the opposite approach: imagine asking Ashes of Creation developers to “simply add a Eve-like fantastical seafaring-ship-in-3D-navigating-the-floating-islands-of-the-heavens MMO gameplay” to their game since all the characters there are now captains of their own heavenly-seafaring ships.

There is but it is not free. Parts of data in the existing EvE engine that were not distributed between different systems (perhaps it was designed for a single category of distributed system, but not two distinct ones) become categorically differently-distributed, which suddenly invokes the CAP theorem. Dealing with that in a system that wasn’t initially designed for that, is not trivial. That alone is far more than just “shipping a few environment data to move a char around”.

I understand you’re also a programmer which is why you should also understand the danger of the “why is this hard everyone could just do this on their own” – the “infamous DropBox comment” kind of comment.

1 Like

I must admit i dont know Ashes of Creation, but if they were using a forked version of unreal 4, then the code base has been changed substantially, and as you know adapting somebody else,s code is harder than writing from fresh. but ccp have the advantage of being able to use a state of the art engine that is the most optimized that has ever existed, and start from scratch no adaptation no rewriting of code. As for there code (it must have been in C++ or some derivative , and these outputs are all equation based. so you can get the output data if you know what you are looking at (which is hard i know) but you keep mentioning cost. eve makes on average $58 MILLION per annum, this is a massive amount of cash for a few good programmers.

Never been to Las Vegas and know only what I’ve read but I get the impression life in New Eden is far harsher. Still, it could have been interesting if the game had gone that way. Interesting and probably deadly.

Actually EVE used to make relatively decent money, which they then generally managed to burn off on various side-projects and attempts to create other titles.

Nowadays, Pearl Abyss makes money on EVE, and CCP gets a paycheque.

1 Like

Yep , Probably so, So sad :frowning:

At least in New Eden you just lost Pretend money, which makes it hurt way less painfull. :slight_smile:

Then I look forward to your non-forked Unreal 5 demo that simply lets me authorize via the ESI and then pull my character’s background/race/faction/corp/alliance state and let me walk in a simulated station. With, say, 10 other people at the same time. With client graphics on par of the old CQ quality.

Yes, I bring up cost for good reason. In 2018, there were an estimated 250 people working at CCP games. That’s what your money is able to buy*. You’re asking them to grow with 100 more people, which is 140%, so presumably they would need to earn 140% more to pay for that – if costs linearly scale – and have a new, record year of sales, This is Silicon Valley level “growth hack” kind of numbers.

I get it sucks to have dreams rained on, but you just gotta look at the comparable numbers and do the back-of-the-envelope realistic number crunching. Look at comparable situations. Estimate using the data out there. Really contemplate what is being asked. There is not a magic technological wand that makes MMO development cheap, good, and fast only for CCP games that the rest of the industry doesn’t know about.

If you sincerely believe it only takes a few good programmers – and I would put you in that bucket – and not a lot of money, then it should be no problem to try to put in a fraction of that cost, for you to come up with an “easy” polished tech demo.

*EDIT: These numbers fall roughly in line with what I know costs are at other big-name tech companies: take number of employees, multiply by yearly salary, multiply that by 3, that’s the yearly cost of those employees. So 250 people at $80k-ish average salary roughly matching the given $58 million, passes the smell test for me.

Anyway, Elite Dangerous started development at the same time when Star Citizen started, and it looks like both developed fairly big worlds, but different, with Elite looking more “finished” and actually like a game that continues the legacy of Elite, the original that started it all, including EVE.

Those two, ED nad SC, of course have walking in stations. Even the game like No Mans Land (sorry, No Mans Sky) added it. SO there is plenty of walking when you feel like it, when you want to leave the spaceship. Too sad that EVE universe dont have such a development in place. Seems its popular.

1 Like

Dude im not here to argue with you , im just questioning , why this game has made so little progress in 20 years of development, you say they had 250 people working on eve, (or CCP Games) and we have seen rehash after rehash of events, ( we have a ton of new clothing that nobody gets to see except on your char sheet) its just a bit strange that no mans sky launched with 6 people working on it ) it was bad it let a ton of people down, but a few years later it has 15 people (and its blown every mmo space game away for the pure content it has)

1 Like