Was the CSM on board with Dr. Who?

Brisc has been advocating for the Azure Lane crossover, which makes far more sense especially if you factor in new ship skins. Guess CCP execs favors skinny English men over other choices…

I enjoy Discworld also, but it would be stupid to cross over to Eve. Discworld, on the other hand could handle anything any other “universe” could hand it. But Terry Pratchett passed on. Sad.

Dr Who and Eve are about as compatible as Ogden Nash and W.H. Auden.

3 Likes

Ok. This overcomes any objections I have. But real Whovians are likely to want that lore stuff and engagement in the action between the races. Faction Warfare is very noob unfriendly.

You realise even if it does it will be a short term addition to a dwindling player base.
As I said I’m a huge Dr Who fan but that in no way relates to why I play Eve.
The two are in no way even similar, so while there may be some increase in new account creations, most will disappear within a week of the event ending, if not sooner.
If CCP stays true to form (poor design and worse implimentation), anyone creating a new account to take part in the event is going to be sorely dissappointed.
Dissappointment so early in a new game won’t lead to those new players hanging around - So yeah, CCP may get a few thousand (very optomistic guess) Dr Who fans signing up for an event they won’t be able to participate in - but the reality of Eve, having nothing in common with Dr Who, will see most of them stop logging in just as quickly.

2 Likes

Since EVE lore doesn’t matter any more and CCP is in full cash-grab-attention-seeking mode, can we get a Farscape crossover next?

We have no idea what the result will be, honestly. Players come and go from EVE all the time, and getting new people to discover the game and play it is critical to the continued existence of the game. Doctor Who has millions of fans across the world - if a million people try the game because of this crossover, and even ten percent of them stick around longer than a month, we’ve doubled our player numbers. Even if it’s far, far less than that, all it took was a reskinned live event to get these folks to consider the game.

2 Likes

I salute you for being open to new things. The crossover might be good or bad but I am interested in seeing how it plays out.

1 Like

You really think there is a chance of that many Dr Who fans even seeing the Ad for the event?
Let alone going through the pure shite first few days of Eve to “look at” an event they won’t be able to take part in?

According to the AD on “Dr Who News”, unless CCP dumbs down the event more than usual, this event isn’t going to be “new player” friendly.

2 Likes

It’s supposed to be new player friendly.

The video on the Doctor Who youtube channel has 45k views and 2.4k likes. So clearly, those fans are seeing it.

Dude, you really could give it a rest, you’ve made your position clear. I don’t really care that much about it personally, never been a fan of DW, but I do understand people asking WTF to this.

It makes zero sense from a game/worldbuilding standpoint. On top of that, from what I see online most of the fanbase of the series isn’t very happy with it of late. Why would CCP want that boat anchor tied around their neck? If you enjoy it great, I’ll mostly hold my nose and try to ignore the mess, and figure out a way to make some isk out of it.

1 Like

2.4K likes out of 45K views does not seem terribly popular…

2 Likes

My first CSM video has 48k views and 900 likes. I won the election.

Srlsi’s “We’re only Goonswarm” video has 39k views and 1.3k likes.

His “We Didn’t Crash the Server” video has 52k views and 1.4k likes.

I think it’s pretty on par, honestly. Not everybody clicks like on every youtube video they view.

1 Like

Had millions of fans. They basically killed their own brand in the last few seasons. This is just about the worst crossover they could have done with any sci-fi show. Pretty sure the 1990s Seaquest DSV based on oceans and submarines would have had a better reception here.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched the show in years, but I’m still a fan. BBC reached out to CCP, as I understand it, not the other way around. No point looking a gift horse in the mouth.

There is no gift though. Plenty on other sites are talking about unsubbing. I may just park my character back in high, let the training go until sub runs out. After that wont care because if I go that far there is a good chance it was uninstalled again for a bit. It basically insulting to the game and community. I did that for a few years during the Dust 514 foolishness being console only. This is not a winning solution in any form.

2 Likes

I can’t think of any dumber reason to quit playing EVE than a two week long live event that no one will remember in a year.

Seriously, I don’t get why folks are so upset here, when this didn’t cost us anything, there are no NFTs, it didn’t require a massive amount of work according to the people who did the work (it’s not some ground breaking gameplay), and was done by the live events team who aren’t working on fixing the game. If it brings in just a couple hundred new players who stick with the game, it’s a net positive.

Yes, nobody wanted this, yes, we want them to fix the game, but there is no downside to this thing. Folks who are quitting over it were going to quit anyway.

3 Likes

C’mon Brisc, use some imagination!

2 Likes

I imagine that would be the same with DR Who fans who have no interest in gaming.
They’ll watch and read anything Dr Who related and hit like if they feel inclined BUT that is very different to starting a video game based on a 14 day one off crossover event.
I’ve spent quite a bit of time on Dr Who fansites over the years, even went to a convention once. One thing many of them have in common - They aren’t “gaming” related.

BTW, the last time they were released (a few years ago now) The average age of those who watched Dr Who was 45.

Then why do it? There was so muich they could have done here. Look at Netflix et al. Eve has an amazing complex adult backstory. They could have taken it to Netflix and done a space TV show. The graphics are done. You have the ships. You have the lore. You have an incredible set of stories to be told about a civilisation that rose and then fell and then rose again. You have hatred, you have systemic racial subjugation, you have drugs, you have war, you have quests for peace and exploration. You have intrigue. The backstory is full of wonderful stories that could have been told on TV that would have created demand for the product.

They could have done a Game of Thrones in space…instead we get Time Lords and Daleks FFS. I grew up on Doctor Who. I am old enough to remember the black and white TV series and movies. I am such a tragic that I even watch the annual New Years Eve specials, despite them becoming parodies. If the BBC did approach CCP first, think what COULD have been done. Now look look at what they have done.

AS for money. Eve was a subscription game. Then they changed it because everyone else was changing. That was a catastrophic mistake. Imagine if you have instead introduced a cash shop for skins and uniforms and walking in stations and kept the subscription core pricing model. A vastly better, stickier and more reliable cash flow leading to greater profitability and marketing strategies to exploit this medium to get younger adults to play. Instead we get the drivel we now have.

Doctor Who is PG. The Eve backstory is anything but PG. Its R maybe even worse. Do you want children aged 13 playing this game and being exposed to the brutal treachery that has been and always will be at the heart of this game? No child under age 18 should be allowed to play Eve. It too full of mongrel bastards for children. Imagine your thirteen year old daughter listening to Goonswarm discord chat … they would get a wonderful sexual education.

The game you love is gone. God only knows where it is heading …everything that was unique and special about Eve is deliberately and methodically being removed; Sandbox, Instancing and Scarcity. The changes to industry and mining are all about reducing the gap between older high SP players and newer players. All signs point one way; Space WoW. And its happening on your watch.

3 Likes

Yes Brisc there is. They need to fix the dang game rather than pandering to some leftist woke trash of a show. This will push more players away than it brings. And I hope the player base is mad enough to make the npe for all these new woke fans terrible enough that they leave.

1 Like