Welcome to Photon UI - SiSi

Doesn’t have to be a bright white theme, it could also be plaid or hello kitty pink.

Some ships in Eve still don’t have racial UI themes, for example SoCT ships have no UI theme.

1 Like

Played around a bit more. I liked what I saw a lot. It felt very refreshed and having custom color support would be fun.

More importantly, please let us disable the filmgrain effect!

I may be alone here but it gives me a bit of eyestrain. I dont know why… But in every game if they have film-grain effect, I disable it because of that.

Anyway, looks good! Excited to see more of this new UI and how it develops.

3 Likes

What film grain effect?

1 Like

Cool.

I welcome the consistency that a unified design language will bring.

But for the love of God, consider the usability. Don’t increase dead space, e.g. margins, for the sake of change. Make the compact window mode use reduced margins (for windows that are always open, for example, local/fleet chat).

10 Likes

Looking at quality and performance recent UI changes. like agency and skill UI I’m really scared how many useless changes and terrible UX will come from this.

6 Likes

whisper… I told you, you would bring colors back one day.

It was more than a decade ago, someone without a name said, “Here take this wonderful UI without any color and all those nice, white icon. EVE is much goodererererer to play now, you will see…”

Now, for the same reasons I said that taking away colors from the UI is bad, we get them back. And only a decade after the rest of mankind did manage to comprehend.

At least the colors won’t blind anyone at first glance, kudos for that. Eager to see when it’s finished.

If you have followed their blog posts for a while, their primary aim is not UI updates, but re-architecting the way eve online works to improve performance and supportability. The old skill UI was not ‘fine the way it was.’ It ran on tranquility which limited their ability to make modifications or add features and also interfered with supporting other things on tranquility. Now that it has been decoupled those challenges have been moved to the side to allow them to work on other things.

Definately welcome since the interface can tend to block and become unresponsive when doing heavy network data refreshes (or if the network stalls), industry or wallet transaction updating for example.

Any chance that the Skills window can be reintegrated with the character sheet in this new UI, since you know it would actually be nice to be returned to its rightful place.

2 Likes

I like the idea of refreshing the UI but I have a few concerns about the new direction.

• The general feel of the UI feels way to big. I don’t know if it is meant for 4K screens but on 1080p screens it feels out of proportion maybe have some type of UI downscale for lower resolution screens. I have it at 90% and it doesn’t feel enough.

• Buttons across all windows are way too big, they feel like they are made for tablets or touchscreens, and in some places like looking at fits where you have a small window and a lot of buttons it just overpowers the window. I would like to see them at least 30-50% smaller if not more.

• There is a ton of space wasted between where the content of a window ends and the actual windows edge as well with interline spacing.

There are some technical issues like scroll bars covering show info on items or the remove skill from the queue, tabs spaces being to small for the words they are showing cutting them off, but that is to be expected on alpha.
My fear is the concerns I have about having a generally big UI are part of what CCP wants for this new UI and not just an oversight. I would love if someone from CCP could tell us what they are looking for with this new direction or why have they made this creative decisions that ultimately affects UX not just the UI.

EVE is a game that relies on gathering a lot of information from various windows so wasting space and uniformly color every windows without clear separation for the sake of having a flat design is counterproductive.

TLDR
Don’t waste space for the sake of wasting space (needlessly large edges, Interline Space, etc…), make buttons WAY smaller, otherwise nice UI.

27 Likes

just because that is where it was doesn’t mean that is where it ‘belongs’

Why call it Photon UI?

That name is used by a few UI projects already.

1 Like

Changing the font size in chat windows makes the letters smaller, but it still takes up the same amount of space, really giving it that 80’s Vaporwave A E S T H E T I C

7 Likes

On a quick glance

Things that I noticed and personally enjoy:

1. It looks minimalistic, gives a cleaner look;
  2. Local chat allows to minimize and hide chat section completely;
  3. Improved font is eye candy;
  4. Neocom can be small again;
  5. The more I look at it, the more I like it - textbook background + it has kind of old TV shivering. It does make a modern look if compared to old/current style.

Few things I noticed that I personally dislike:

1. Hide/Unhide menu for every window (buttons for lock, minimize, close etc) it jumps on and off every time cursor goes on window, I see this as a problematic feature in harsh combat situations or simply annoying to lot of people, specially if there are many windows stacked. Yes, it does add to minimal design, but at what cost;
  2. If compared to old (current) UI there are more free space around text - whitespace. If it would be possible to make this adjustable to player needs or a simple feauture that allows to turn whitespace on and off, would most likely completely fix this and make people a lot happier. Similar feature could be applied to free space between connected windows;
  3. Too much lights, reminds me of Tron movie. I personally believe that selected window bright line on top of window is unnecessary feature;
  4. No black colour scheme similar to ‘Dark Matter’ is available in settings.

Things I would love to see added, that I believe would greatly improve UI:

1. Similar to HUD and Neocom, a feature to move whole section of (not sure how it is called) section with timers, search bar, system name, travel route etc etc. To be movable to any space of screen or at least similar to HUD - left, right, top, bottom;
  2. Skilling spree or Daily Campaign section information currently is splitted on two rows, in my opinion it would make a improvement to design if it would be on one row and completion bar made significantly smaller - less visible.

Thank you CCP for updates and hard work you put in this game that we all like so much, wish it to live for many years to come!

5 Likes

“Photon” huh? I am disdainful of that name since Firefox’s latest redesigns (the final nail in the coffin for me with that browser). Now I see CCP making the same mistakes. I guess I know what happens next.

3 Likes

Change UI ?
Please, be extremely careful about this… !!

One of the major thing in a videogame is the personalization.
Eve Online offers not so much of that : Ship skins, extremely good
character creation (but only to show a small picture of it) and…
The UI windows positions and colors !!
Every player has it’s own habits for the UI…
Don’t forget to offer personnalization to players !!
It’s one of the major key for a good game.

In my opinion :

• The actual UI style is simple, very efficient, with small lettering (good to arrange all of the windows we need ingame) and the ability to choose the color of it is very nice and useful, like the adjustable transparency of everything. If you change this for big buttons with lot of space between them (actual look of the new skin windows for example), you will drastically reduce the space to arrange all windows we need in space !

• I arrange my windows and UI to merge some windows together in tabs and it’s very useful…
    It’s also a goal in Eve to create your own playstyle with window arrangement. Don’t screw that !

• And again, small lettering and buttons, efficient and customizable tabs and color is one of the reason I love Eve. Honnestly, if I had started Eve with the old UI back in the old days, I might not have hung on to Eve. Seriously. Don’t screw that. Please…

New changes sometimes might be good, but
DO NOT FORGET to AVOID SPACE WASTE, and offer SIMPLICITY and CUSTOMIZATION : )

Thank you : )

7 Likes

This UI is already terrible just from looking at the screenshots in the blog.

Look at this huge title bar. So much wasted space. I hope I can at least hide the side menu, which wastes even more space? And this huge tab bar. And what is it with these round bubbles around the chat participant number? There is not a SINGLE round element in your above elements overview.

Also, people keep telling you that the latest UI experiment was wasting too much space and what do you do? You try to implement a “unified UI” that wastes more space. Is this your understanding of “invaluable feedback”?

And unified UI? This UI does not look anything like the UI of the skill window or the characters sheet.

Will this new UI also make the Neocom adhere to the transparency settings and become opaque if I set my transparency to 0?

REDNES

10 Likes

So it’s like Office Online?

Gotta say, I preferred these as buttons with boxes around them.