Welcome to the Agency - Feedback

Ran a 5/10 in my Legion with a mate in a Tengu.

Didn’t clear the ‘challenge’ for it.

CBA putting any effort in for the rest anyway after taking another look at what you get for it.

1 plex? Come on! Now that you’ve broken then down into little itty-bitty miniplex, it doesn’t mean you get to insult us with morsels of it.

2 Likes

“The Agency” is the stupidest name ever (more so than “The Mittani” and “The Imperium”).

You’re trying to implement some sort of “dailies” like other MMO’s have, right? I don’t think the concept of dailies works in EVE, because everything is repeatable and nothing is limited.

7 Likes

The rewards:

1. The booster is pretty useless, because when I log in, I have to do stuff for the corp, maybee the alliance too… That usually takes about 1-2 hours.
  2. 5 PLEX. For real?
  3. Another awkward booster…
  4. A Tengu-SKIN. I don´t own one, I have neither the skills, nor any interest in T3-cruisers. And it will be pretty worthless in no time, like in every event before…

The “challenges”:

1. I did just my normal ratting, and got 3 done…with one Haven plus 2 belts. And empty messages.

2. Combatsites in a T3-cruiser. Yeah, right…as if…

3. Combatsites in a battlecruiser. They are pretty slow, so not gonna happen. Also, I don´t think I will waste jumptimer or fly every day from 0.0 to highsec and back again.

4. And as a beginner, I would have real problems to do some of that “challenges”…

And I wrote before, its a bad idea.

9 Likes

I like it. Would be nice to be able to reject some of the missions and get new ones. Maybe set a limit on how many you can reject a day so you cant just cherry all the easy ones.

Looking forward to see what develops from this. Really hope you guys keep working and tweaking it.

1 Like

I scanned down cos. sig. and completely finished it. Killed all pirates and after that, sig. disappeared. Scanning and killing pirates was done both with Gnosis. So it’s a bug.

1 Like

I’ve now experienced this problem at two sites, a Blood Vigil and a Guristas Vigil, in a Myrmidon. I also think there’s a bug here. Now, I’m not particularly bothered about the 4 measly points I’m not getting, but I want to clear that slot so it can be replaced with (hopefully) something more appealing.

EDIT: OK, CCP, here’s a bit of an elaboration on previous points:

• The ability to ditch a particular task (or at the very least having it expire after a day) is essential, not just because of a once-off, but because of the “narrowing of challenge bandwidth” that occurs with an undoable one clogging up a slot. Consider this: I don’t have a T3 cruiser nor shall I have the skills for such for quite some time, yet the T3 enforcement challenge appeared for me in my initial intake. If that one can’t be got rid of, then I will be limited to one less challenge per day (out of 6, that’s a 16% reduction.) Now, this situation is compounded by the fact that ALSO from the very start I have battlecruiser enforcement, which is not only awkward to begin with, but appears to be bugged. So now we are looking at a 33% blockage - and an overall loss of interest in the whole affair.

I don’t know whether the challenges are issued in a fixed order or whether they are randomised, and if the latter whether the resulting sequence is the same for all, or differs from player to player. Regardless, and especially without the facility to decline a challenge and thereby decongest, something like “T3 Enforcement” should NOT be appearing on the first day - there need to be safeguards to prevent stalling (even partial) of a player’s ability to participate. The more I think about this aspect, in fact, the less inclined I am to even bother to continue playing The Agency, even though I wasn’t doing it for the “rewards” in any case (them being as absurd as they are - and I’m not a greedy player, please note, yet I think those rewards are borderline insulting.)

• Battlecruiser Enforcement: Now, aside from there apparently being a bug regarding crediting completion, this is an awkward task in the first place. I understand that challenges have to be challenging - however, this isn’t that, it’s merely a pain in the mikta. Battlecruisers (even the scan-bonused Gnosis) are unwieldy for signature-running (and for anomalies too), due to their overall slowness. Additionally, they are only really viable for DED4 sites, and tend to be outperformed even on those by faction cruisers (which can also do DED3s and depending on player, DED5s) - this means that finding suitable sites to run (especially when so many players are all trying to clear that clogged up slot!) is really time-consuming and tedious - that’s “hard” rather than “difficult”, if you get my meaning. It also encourages more of the sort of crummy behaviour that the rogue drone event and the one in Dec (Angel-themed?) engendered - players who might otherwise be patient and courteous are now so intent on just getting this damn nuisance out of the way, that they will push in at an almost-complete site, and potentially steal the other player’s time and effort already spent - gee, thanks ever so ****ing much!

Now, I suspect that maybe you (CCP) decided that BCs are being underused - I know that for me, BCs were a transitory phase on my way up to battleships, and nowadays I spend my time in those and in fancy cruisers (not T3-fancy, though!) and almost never any time at all in a BC. So perhaps (unless I am giving you folks too much credit) you figured you’d encourage players to spend more time in BCs to remind them of what nice ships those can be. However, having us running down CosSig combat sites using these is the wrong way to try to showcase these ships. You need to find something a lot more creative - AND, as mentioned previously, allow players who can’t yet afford a Gnosis, for instance, to opt out altogether and not get slowed down.

One of the keys to a successful MMO event/activity is INCLUSIVITY (regardless of whether that’s a real word. :wink: ) CCP, you may find some other suggestions on this thread that may propose, for example, replacement of PvE challenges with PvP - that is NOT a valid solution, it is merely replacing one exclusivity with another (not to mention open to abuse and griefing.) Also, you may find suggestions for much harder tasks (such as taking out sleepers) - again, this is merely elitism and exclusivity that would not serve to enhance the event - UNLESS the option to turn down challenges to be replaced with alternatives exists in some useful form. However, I am not saying that PvP challenges should not be present at all, but rather that they should be completely optional, and properly balanced - for instance, a 10-year vet ganking a poor newbie is not something that is worthy of applause, certainly not meriting the term “challenge”. But balancing PvP achievements can be really difficult, especially for an immediate-term context such as this event, and therefore needs to be done with utmost care - ie. shouldn’t be rushed.

OK, this wall of text got “a little” out of hand - time to quit while I’m… something :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Principle point I’m afraid, opt-out concepts are … touchy. In any form, in any context.

1 Like

Anomalies are not scanned down, signatures are.

“Locate and complete a Combat Signature Site, while flying a Battlecruiser.”

Well, either a Blood Lookout isn’t a signature, or a Myrmidon isn’t a battlecruiser, or killing all the rats, getting an escalation, and having the signature disappear doesn’t count as completion…I can’t figure out which, but something here is broken.

5 Likes

I am going to do whatever I would have done anyway and the Agency will give me a couple of points now and than. I guess I will get a free skin before the event is over and I won’t conplain about free stuff.

But the event itslef looks more ore less like a “proof of concept”. I am sure the tech will be useful in the future.

2 Likes

I don’t really see how, except in terms of implementation inconvenience - personal choice is one of the most fundamental desires and, dare I say, rights. And ultimately people WILL exercise their choices, one way or another - the penultimate protest is total non-participation, and then whatever the milieu, it becomes a wasted effort in its entirety. And I’m afraid that the steady, consistent decline in concurrent users is suggestive of this - people are “opting out” entirely, for whatever reason: some no doubt due to changes in lifestyle, circumstances, or priorities, but doubtless also some due to dissatisfaction. In the same vein, denying players some control over the “content” of this event (especially if it ends up restricting their potential to participate) will certainly piss off some to the point where they lose interest altogether; combine that with the paltry “rewards”, and the result may well end up being widespread disinterest and non-participation (at least in heart/spirit, if not literally, given how the “event” is also non-voluntary), which would mean it fails in its goals (which presumably include a reduction of player attrition), and is a complete waste of development time and resources.

3 Likes

OK, I’m sensing a pattern here, as I’ve experienced the exact same thing on two occasions, and also while flying a Myrmidon, so having that in common, perhaps there’s a bug with regards to that particular ship. And from my side, add also killing the site boss and getting faction/deadspace loot, too.

(Keep in mind that Lookouts come in both anomaly and cosmic signature variants - but from your comments, I can tell that you can tell the difference :slight_smile: )

EDIT: And I just completed a Guristas Scout Outpost in a “single sitting”, scanning the site using Sisters Core Probe Launcher and Probes from my Myrmidon, without interruptions from other players, start to finish - all rats, radiating telescope down (Pithum C-Type Adaptive Invulnerability Field looted - WOOT! Though I was rather hoping for a Gila print… not that I’m really complaining, heheh), signature contact gone from the scanner screen. Challenge still not completed, so this one is definitely broken - bug-report EBR-127533 submitted.

2 Likes

Strategic Enforcement challenge wont complete for me.

I’m in a prot, have completed three sites so far, all scanned down and no one else in system.

On a side note, wanted to give to positive feedback for the event, nice to have this type of event back, hope they become more regular.

Six challenges are pretty easy to do, would have completed all in under an hour if the T3C challenge wasn’t bugged. Maybe add a few more? 8 or 10 would be more engaging. No need to add pvp to these events, will just put people off doing them. T3C Skin choice would be nice for final reward, should be four skins and we select the one we want.

Also, please consider lowering the restrictions on some of the sites, now T3C’s are weaker they should be able to use 4/10 acceleration gates.

edit: bug report sent. ID EBR-127536

2 Likes

You lucky, you should be happy how all of this turned out. Loot better than all this event rewards.

1 Like

Oh, absolutely! :smiley: I am, however, giving up on this challenge, and probably on the whole event - I’ll no doubt do any challenges that don’t require me to jump through hoops, ie. “targets of opportunity” are still OK. But I have lots of different ships scattered around all over the empires, and I’m damned if I’ll be travelling or clone-faxing to a particular ship, possibly refit it (as I had to with any battlecruiser I chose for this challenge), and then go bend over backwards, only to face the chance of a bug… Still, it wasn’t a complete waste of time: I got an idea for a tweak I want to do to that ship’s fitting, and it was different (if rather slow and frustrating) for a while…

hey same again … this speed booster was activated hen i logged in … is this only on my account or is this same for all???

1 Like

If conceptual focus is rooted entirely in mechanical design, I would agree. So any other game, yes. EVE? That’s barely a third of approach types required.

EVE’s not a product, it isn’t a service model either, think of it as a village. Not a simulation, but a behavioural model with deeply rooted dependancies in communicative and participatory stimuli for community patterning. Or as one of CCP’s venture partners once joked at a convention “CCP isn’t a product developer or a world builder, they are the Illuminati building a civilisation from the background with all the challenges, opportunities and problems that entails” :stuck_out_tongue:

Taking this into account based on a commercial perspective - it is many things, but also a venture - it’ll start making sense quickly as to why there are benefits in providing opt-in & out mechanisms. And thus resource allocation towards it. After all, from a venture perspective you’re dealing with development paths of what’s inside the dynamic in service of said venture. That’s a heck of a lot more than just a product level development planning focus.

Incidentally, this is were conceptual implementation of dailies has a tendency in game design to fail in regards to community modelling. Not because of laws of diminishing returns, but because dependancies and progression ends up requiring changing the dynamic itself. It’s there where things bump (hard) into something known as ingrained behaviour. Now sure, attracting new user types as well as using exposure mechanisms to enable younger users to internalise such concepts is a topic. But well, it’s not a game as such, where users roll in and out, it’s something subtly but importantly different.

Personal choice does matter, but from a strict venture perspective what matters more is where that is facilitated and where not, with a subtle but persistent dependancy in the choice being present and visible in feature mechanisms users encounter.

It’s always been a debate with CCP, but also - going by Fanfest discussions - within CCP. Not an easy topic, and if EVE wouldn’t be lasting a generation it wouldn’t even be a topic. Thing is, there’s a reasonable chance (depending on how far the current trend of product packaging goes in relation to the temptations of other dreams and an early retirement) that at some point EVE will have been around long enough for CCP to implement Last Will mechanisms for virtual asset transfers to deceased player’s kids or at minimum a Notice mechanism related to that :stuck_out_tongue: Either way, it does make it an - internal - debate eventually.

3 Likes

Virt is that you?

Bloody ■■■■ no. It’s not wrong, not entirely accurate tho.

Venture focus doesn’t mean ■■■■ for this kind of exploration. Agreed that choice mechanisms provide a ton of useful data, especially useful when dealing with a beast like eve. So yeah, allocation warranted, tho seems to me people are missing that this is already ingrained - tho it could be done differently for more useful insights.

But I can’t see CCP’s implementation of daily dallies changing the foundations of virtual Iceland. Tbfh I think for this stuff you need to look more in the direction of use as a control / tweak mechanism with a touch of letting people keep themselves busy. Players and devs.

Who cares anyway. Sure, the skynet drone thing was more fun than this. So what. Sure there’s people who like this, let them. So much dumb negativity. And stop whining about bad pay, in my day people were extatic with a ■■■■■■■ nibelungen laser. Stop complaining.

Also, stop sending me pm’s on failheap to this kind of kid stuff >.<

Also, goddamn horrible forum implementation. What happened to ui/ux/ue standards.

1 Like

Suggestion: add a multiplier for the reward points depending what area of space the player is in.

e.g. In high sec you get a x1, low sec x2, for null x3 and wormholes you get a x4 bonus for the reward points earned.

1 Like

I’m seeing a bug, when the kill 5 pirates in belts reappeared after the timer run out, it reads 5/5, and it’s not completed. I’m going to try to kill 5 to see if that solves the issue.

1 Like