What is Eve Online?

If you’re asking that then perhaps you should explore the forums to see how the game has been impacted by scarcity from a content perspective.

the content is inside us
you need more

spongebob-squarepants-spongebob

2 Likes

I give you a spade to dig a hole, I take the spade away and give you a spoon. Now be imaginative, stop complaining and dig.

i kinda dig you :blush:

1 Like

That’s hot.

1 Like

Perhaps I should, but I asked you the question. If you have an answer, why not provide it?

Because I don’t spoon feed people when the information is freely available.

Shipwreck, bless you for trying. But you should have known this thd would spiral down.
What do you miss about Eve that is now gone? - Communications Center / General Discussion - EVE Online Forums

1 Like

Or maybe you just don’t have an answer.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. But we’ll never know will we.

I remember hearing early on in covid that it was resulting in one of the largest wealth transfers in human history. It made me wonder if I could do the same thing with scarcity in Eve online. Turns out, I could. Not only did I pivot to chase new strats and opportunities, but I used my money to speculate on patches and to buy assets for less than they were worth from people who were desperate for cash. I did quite well during scarcity, and so did a lot of other players.

Of course, I have sympathy for newbros and casuals, and I don’t blame anyone for not prioritizing grinding for money –after all, I definitely optimized towards boredom a lot during this time. So, I understand why many players would eschew such goals. However, if your goal was to make money during scarcity, and you didn’t make it hand over fist, then you have no one to blame but yourself. I mean, did you actually do anything to take advantage of scarcity, or did you sit around complaining because your deprecated strats earned you less money for your time?

You know, I was actually becoming quite the bitter vet myself about 4 years ago. But then I made a bitter vet whine video, which resulted in a bunch of people in my comment section saying that they were quitting. Now, I was angry, but I wasn’t try to sabotage the game or make players quit. So, seeing people cite my video as the straw that broke the camel’s back made me feel like an ass, and made me begin to question my attitude and behavior. But, I didn’t change overnight. The next major step came when I would see other people come up with brilliant ways to benefit from change. I would think to myself, “I could have thought of that. But I didn’t… Why?" Well, it wasn’t because I wasn’t smart enough, or that I didn’t know enough about the game –it was because I instead of figuring out how I could benefit from change, I was sitting around bitching and moaning.

I’ve come to realize that change is opportunity. Nerfs, buffs, it doesn’t matter. It is the change itself that is opportunity. I haven’t figured out how to benefit from every change, but I credit this attitude with allowing me to benefit from a lot of them. And wouldn’t you know it, I eventually stopped getting mad at changes, and started eagerly looking forward to them.

So, my first advice to you is stop listening to bitter vets, and stop sitting around complaining. Concentrating on the negative won’t help you to have fun nor succeed. Second, if can’t figure out how to benefit from a change on your own, try to pay attention to what other players are doing. You might be able to replicate their success this go round, and, at the very least, it will give you ideas for how you can benefit from similar changes in the future.

And, not for nothing, but they reduced some extrinsic rewards (i.e. ore, live event loot), and made the prices of a lot of ships go up. They did not, however, reduce intrinsic rewards. So, the only people who perceived a loss of value are those that (1) primarily care about number go up, and (2) were unwilling and/or unable to chase new strats and opportunities during a time of remarkable opportunity.

1 Like

I’ve made bank throughout playing Eve, scarcity hasn’t hit me as much as it’s hit the community which is why the game is suffering. From a wider community perspective, from a game state perspective Eve is not in a good place. It doesn’t matter what I think, you think or any individuals opinions. It’s the collective opinion that matters, the collective opinion will effect the game state as a whole.

Anyone can sit here and say adapt, change, move with the times. But it’s clearly having an impact on the community, so maybe those people should actually be looking at it from the other perspective in order to save this game.

Well, I can think of invasions (which were always meant to be temporary), resource wars (which sucked, but are now back, right?), and the proving grounds (some people actually miss this one thanks to its unique meta).

But, I’m not even going to get started on why he won’t answer the question though. I’m just running out ducks to give at this moment in time.

I’ve never bothered with anything industry, I’m not numbers driven, but when that all happened a friend of mine who loves that stuff started talking about it and just as a mind exercise we looked at the issues, the gaps and opportunities. So in an “oh well, why not give it a go” I created some characters for it, took a deep dive to learn about all the details involved and I’ve been making a killing with it.

It’s hilarious to see industrialists of 10+ years cry and whine about not being able to make money while some people are raking in the billions easy mode. I never really went super sayan on it, it’s just not my play style, but it wasn’t exactly difficult.

2 Likes

Maybe. Or maybe the wormtongue bitter vets should stop poisoning the morale of their friends and community members, and stop teaching newbros to respond to change and adversity by complaining.

Yeah, I’m sure that doesn’t have any impact on the community and the health of the game. Let’s just pin all the blame on CCP for throwing adversity at an audience that fancy themselves hardcore gamers.

2 Likes

Answer: EVE is your abusive partner you don’t leave regardless how bad you are treated in the relationship. :japanese_ogre:

Another answer: EVE is where the weak perish and the strong and adapting thrive. :japanese_ogre:

Yet another answer: EVE is what you make of it. :wink:

And another: EVE is a social experiment. :bar_chart:

Finally my personal take: EVE is a sanbox (though the devs erode that more and more year by year) where I can do whatever I have the mood doing (or not even sign in) and spend some time hopefully having fun in the process. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is a game not real life, if people perceive an activity to be more effort than it’s worth then they will walk away. It doesn’t take a line manager to convince people to do that.

I’m not denying the game needed fixing, specifically Rorquals, but CCP took a sledgehammer to a walnut and it’s hurting the game now.

I can change her…

3 Likes

Ully Loom does not moan my dear @Shipwreck_Jones , she alerts!

Ully Loom has already donated enough money to CCP for an online game that hasn’t really evolved in 19 years.

and his son and his friends too…

Among all these people, one of them fell, despite all our warnings, into the spiral of addiction and compulsive buying behavior as soon as the PLEXs arrived.

How many others have fallen into this trap in 19 years, because of CCP’s irresponsible commercial policy, which year after year has become more aggressive than ever out of greed?

17 million characters have been created in 19 years on EvE Online. But only 24,000 of them maximum, evolve simultaneously in New Eden today, some players claiming, here on this forum, to hold nearly 10 accounts, where in 2003-2007 we had only two, great maximum ; Ully Loom had her alt too, fully funded by CCP for almost two years; that’s a lot of money paid in confidence.

The CCP loss rate is therefore even worse than that of Blizzard, which at least had the merit of listening to its base of former players, having relaunched World of Warcraft Classic in 2019 on the foundations and rules of the game of the version of 2004, and this in order to try to limit the breakage of its last years; this operation turns out to be a great success today for Blizzard which is in fact very logical for all fans of the original game. It could be summed up like this:

AS A GAME EDITOR, TOUCH ANYTHING YOU WANT, BUT DON’T TOUCH THE ORIGINAL GAME RULES!

Q. Last night, our superb game of EvE CONQUESTS with friends lasted more than 4 hours on the basis of rules of the game which are certainly complex, but which remain unchanged since its official release…

Ully Loom is 19 years old. In 19 years, she has always refused to take part in the big corporations and the big alliances which are all built on the good old Ponzi system, as if 5,700 years of additional history had not been able to overcome our errors of the past in as self-destructive and voracious Humanity.

Ully Loom was a lone thief, or almost. It interfered in the corporations in order to rob them. His reputation is second to none, at least among former players; former Pandemic Legion players inevitably remember having killed Ully Loom in a memorable battle on Venal (from memory, a video of this battle exists), besides looting has always been part of the original gameplay of EvE Online , just like mining, industry, science, trade, or PvE or PvP combat.

Our own French-speaking community of EvE Online fans therefore has very good reasons to resent CCP (and we are not the only ones a priori), without ever blowing hot or cold, or even without ever pouring into the language of wood as most people here do.

Q. You are doing the community of EvE Online players no favors by doing so, and you may be wondering why the defections continue despite all your propaganda efforts; I’ll tell you: the damage has been done for a long time, so don’t oppose us, look instead at CCP…

All of us together could be one of the last bastions of truth in New Eden, and it is not the congromerates under the orders of CCP, this perpetual breeding ground of the complacent CSM for more than 16 years, who will change that whatever it is now.

CCP would therefore be very wrong to ignore the IRL action capabilities of all its former players who have mostly become the parents of some current players, which should weigh heavily on the balance of CCP’s future decisions.

Q. EvE Online has well and truly become the game of two generations, maybe even three, but that’s much less certain, because it’s entirely up to all of you here, and in no way us, the oldest. .

So this is it.

So meditate a bit on all this instead of constantly pouring into denigration and contempt.

CCP wants to get out of the rut it got into of its own free will? OK !

In this case, while keeping the existing one if she wants to, she should organize the big RESET of New Eden on a new dedicated server, based on the original rules of EvE Online, i.e. without PLEXs, without ALPHA nor OMEGA, without extractors or injectors, etc., because in 2003-2009 players did not have access to all of this. All players, without exception, were the pioneers of a persistent universe well and truly a thousand times more attractive than today. At that time, CCP had been able to innovate and deploy the greatest MMO-RPG-RTS of all time!

This is our ultimate advice to CCP…

For memory :

Happy rereading! For once, that’s free, and therefore in no way overpriced…

Ully Loom

I blocked him years ago. If the forums still had a functioning ignore button, I would have ignored a few other people as well (yourself not included).

Oh no no no, that’s what they want. See, they will skirt the rules, staying just within the boundaries… but every post you make they will go over with a fine tooth comb, until you slip up, and then they’ll flag, and flag, and flag, until you’re muted or banned. That’s the game that gets them off. Just put them on ignore and move on with life man.

There is no talking to them “man to man” because that would require two men…

1 Like