Where are new characters getting killed?

oh wow, I’m surprised that I was somewhat right when I said on our discord that there wouldn’t be much change :smiley:

Yup. Not too surprised. Most high sec deaths are from stupidity or lack of foresight. Granted not all are that way, but the absolute majority are. And the lions share of the deaths are where open season is the rule of law.

Doesn’t matter if a new player is chasing a good market deal, “better” resources such as ABCs or gas, dipping their toe into FW, or playing as low-skill tackle in a null group as the suggested 30+ day starter skill queue is worked upon. End result is typically a string of ship explosions from lack of understanding the rules changes between regions or lack of experience leading to some mistakes compounding into a ship loss.

Hello darkness my old friend for those who don’t follow the rules of bookmarking the entrance plus a safe or two, always having some spare probes, and keeping a weather eye on D-Scan when poking their head into wormholes for example. Or don’t know the difference between hot and cold sites and you get to watch a rookie ship get absolutely mauled in your WH as they warp to zero on a hot site to the expected warm welcome from the sleepers.

Then you also get all sorts of fun from the crowd that calls it cheating when you get the drop on them without any tell-tale combat probing because you have a couple d-scan safes in the inner and outer system and you’ve already gotten all the bookmarks in the WH so you can determine where they are from some quick distance and semi-directional D-scanning.

Simply put the staggering amount of stuff that has to be learned is going to kill most newer players at least a few times before they learn the do and do not for a given activity. And for those that are lazy it ends up being an expensive recurring theme if they fail to pay attention to the lesson.

Interesting is is not.

Awesome work @EveDataRules.

So 78% of people die in null and low in their first 90days. Is this not what people where asking for? Force new guys to head into safer space in null and low?

3 Likes

I was also told a similar story by some folks in devfleet; that players were asking for ccp to drive players into low and null sooner. That’s a great idea if they are supported properly by new player friendly entities and not led there solo by the NPE.

2 Likes

Yes. This is exactly what the data presented here shows. Tell everyone!
:joy:

The NS % is rationally mostly injector pumped alts, cyno alts. etc.
The stats show new characters, not new players exclusively.

And how do you figure out a new player from an alt?

You can’t
Ccp can’t
No one can

The numbers are there, op was clear about what he posted. Nothing left to say here

1 Like

None of which changes anything regarding what I said.

If you’re going to quote me
Quote what I said, not what you saw

No wonder you went mental on Faylee eh?

E: I also demand that you apologize for all the insults and sexist stuff you said in there… good thing there are rules here

2 Likes

It’s only one of many rational possibilities and without data that actually shows it, it’s just a guess. Not necessarily true at all.

4 Likes

to be fair. how many of 7 day old pilots are already in a corp? if you would just take new players with corps it could be a very different figure but i have no idea and in general i also think war decs are not that big of a problem.

Actually one of the reasons I started looking at this data; new player joins corp, 10 minutes later leaves corp because they joined NPC FW while following the advanced military tutorial.

I actually did this on my second character completely by mistake

1 Like

Oh now you did it!

1 Like

:rotating_light: This thread is going to get salvoshed in 3… 2… 1… may James have mercy on our souls :dizzy_face:

10 Likes

Its a conjecture, but a likely one.

Certainly not the only source of new characters in NS, but I think a very substantial one, possibly accounting for most of the %.

Its important to distinguish between genuine new players, and new characters as alts.

If you think the majority of NS new character attrition is via genuine new players, that’s fine.

Any real data to back that up other than your gut feelings?

No real data.
Its not a gut feeling. Its a rational deduction.

Gut feelings can also be rational. But conjecture is just a fancy word for guess (a synonym of).

Without data, it’s meaningless.

5 Likes

Ok, so it’s just a gut feeling.

Rational deduction without data to back it up is basically the definition of a gut feeling.

5 Likes