Why Are (Most) Cosmetics Gendered?

I already removed everything and made improvements. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Heh, base models are featureless… Although at one point I had quite a cringy conversation with a guy who was convinced that there were plans for the characters to be more detailed and the assets were just hidden. His “evidence” was a photoshop analysis of the crotch area of a female avatar bugged and rendered without undergarments. There was a “seam” pattern where the textures from both sides connected, a pattern only visible editing channels and levels and whatever of the captured image… at one point I was embarrassed to keep discussing but was tempted to say “dude, if they HAD to put a p***y there, the mesh would be something else than a effin seam!”.

2 Likes

is this the new drone bunny?

Models of avatars in game are indeed featureless. There is no nipples, no details modeled under bra and panties. Texture is just a skin texture. Definitely not what you could see in Conan Exiles or what you will see in Cyberpunk 2077.

Sadness can be contagious

1 Like

If you want to wear dresses, make up, and female baseball hats…

Then make a woman character.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

1 Like

Eyewear is also split into versions for men and women, with the exception of the Nightstalker goggles and the eyeball replacements. The only other “clothing” that’s unisex is tattoos, which I imagine are just textures applied to the arm and have no actual model associated.

Maybe the bones for the nose and ears align slightly differently for the male model vs. the female model? (While the goggles, wrapping around the head, don’t have this issue, I assume.)

One of those things is not traditionally gendered. My guess is that either CCP wanted to leave open the possibility of making headwear deform hair instead of removing hair, or maybe the hair bones for male models vs. female models are referenced differently for some reason and ended up necessitating slightly different models. Either way, now their design process involves making two items.

I just think it’s funny (and wasteful) that the Jove picked a cap vendor from Jita local.

“Oh yeah, we can make baseball caps that fit men, or women!”

“Hm… it would be too logistically intensive to order and deliver the specific amount for each demographic… double our order! We’ll just give them all one of each.”

2 Likes

And when they meet with clients…
Or at least I hope they do.

Fashionista Gadget

1 Like

In the first version of the current character creator, you had a ton of more options.
Everything was mutable.

I remember clearly trying to use an art book and free styling an east-Asian phenotype from scratch.

I also remember many of the not-so-human looking pilots that were created at the time. I like to think that CCP added in limitations to the creator due to wanting the monsters in EVE to at leadt look human.

–Gadget eventually got the creator right

“I’ve felt worse.”

–Gadget’s silent response to most EvE is dying threads.

1 Like

So, the characters using the old system could look like refugees from second life?
I can understand not wanting that.

There was a meme phrase coined in that time, when the old avatar creator was a thing: “Dude, your chin!”

Yes, characters could have had very massive chins.

5 Likes

The old character models looked more like the CGI versions of graphic novel characters. Cool ones though.
Some examples. More unique than these days I would say. But also less realistc.

Now I guess why two versions of most cosmetic items is likely a simple design decision got sufficiently explained by Yiole Gionglaom. The reason for that decision however might really be the thought to sell more. Or even “legacy code”. :fedo: :thinking:
Someone should ask at the next design panel, so we know for sure.

1 Like

This thread is in close running for the most SJW thread of the year so far…

Which thread takes the first place? I’d like to give it a bump. :wink:

1 Like

It’s because some clothes are for men and some are for women. It’s not really important since there’s a version of most stuff for everyone.

They were not meant to be realistic I think. Same as ships and space. It was certain graphics style. Somewhat cartoony. Like in this EVE concept art book:

1 Like

The old characters did give a better vibe of divergent evolution in far-flung empires for sure. It is clear that the vision for Captains Quarter / World of Darkness MMO exceeded CCPs ability to deliver. I wouldn’t have minded if they had put some of the art assets made for the WoD MMO into EVE, but alas.

Sadness is a blessing!

Despite your lengthy reply which I still disagree with, especially since you’re not a CCP Dev who actually created the code for Character Creation, the fact of the matter and the actual point of this thread is that Baseball Caps, Glasses, Monocle, etc, are all unisex items with no difference between Male & Female other than allowing CCP to sell more items.