Why Do We Even Have Forums?

I imagine it was on fanfest and a lot of beer was spilled that day with CCP Falcon. :beers::drooling_face:

2 Likes

Can confirm from personal experience this is true. Got banned from the last forums in maybe 2015 I think it was, and I felt wrongly. After filing a ticket, ban was lifted after less than thirty minutes, no harm no foul. The ISDs and CCP can be incredibly lenient on these forums, much more so than the forums of many other games, but there are lines you just do not cross and I have no sympathy for those that bring their forum exiles on themselves by crossing them.

Hereā€™s a question. Iā€™m somewhere between being an agnostic and an atheist, nor do I believe in labels, but I do judge people by their own believes. Seeing how this just happened and how in comparison others are sometimes being compared to Nazis or Islamists here on the forum, what is the motivation behind the perma bann here?

It certainly doesnā€™t look like the Christian way of forgiveness, but it has a rather radical tone to it. Iā€™m a bit stunned over the response actually. It seems very mad. I donā€™t ever consider the ā€œj-wordā€ to be a slur, because in doing so would it disrespect the religious group itself, who themselves have no problem with it and so why should we? It is only a very small minority who wishes them harm, and Iā€™m certainly not one of them. To me is the ā€œj-wordā€ just a label for a member of a religious group and afaik is Mark Zuckerberg a member of said religion. But seeing the response by @CCP_Falcon has it now become the most dangerous word one can use on a forumā€¦ Regardless of religious believes do all humans have flaws and no member of any religion is an exception to it. Why the extremely defensive reaction?

Unless the person who used it and got banned for it has a record for anti-semitic behaviour am I not happy over CCPā€™s response.

Youā€™re not allowed to satirise or criticize ideologies, nor can you decide the context of a joke. We fought against Hitler why? When we string people up for having contrary opinions now days, itā€™s just a matter of time until the pitchforks and torches come out and we start burning people for using the J-word.

As far as iā€™m concerned, if the use of a word or a sound not directed at your person or any person offends you, youā€™re an oxygen thief.

It up to you whether you want to happy or not.

Itā€™s up to CCP whether they ban people for whatever reason they wish.

CCP is not a democracy. You have no first amendment protection (you donā€™t even in your own country, by the way). Read the TOS.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes, it is, and thatā€™s exactly why Iā€™m asking here, because Iā€™m not happy.

Further more is my happiness, nor the lack of it your business, which brings me to the question why you bother about it?

r/eve is the storefront. If it wasnā€™t for reddit this game would get zero new players at all.

Since you linked the thread, im sure you must have seen the post by Falcon:

And thats all you need to know about that case. CCP will not discuss warnings and bans with you here, as thats between the user and CCP.

I also suggest you guys have a look at our forum rules.

3 Likes

You could say CCP have a prejudice against prejudice. Is that a form it takes?

1 Like

So if iā€™m not allowed to criticize ideas and opinions on here, does that mean I canā€™t criticise game and content changes or suggestions?

Wouldnā€™t that also mean you canā€™t call someone a whiner for their posts? Isnā€™t that criticising their ideas and opinions? Is that ok or are we now just discriminating between content? What can be criticized and what cannot with no rational basis?

Also what discussion is had regarding bans and warnings? Iā€™ve had no discussions on these matters. I get a short and sharp reply, one maybe two sentences and the convo is closed before iā€™m even allowed to replyā€¦ Thatā€™s hardly a discussion.

Iā€™m aware of the rules, including the one regrading the discussion of moderation. But seeing how you seem to be happy to talk about certain things and in regard of the forum itself do I want to take the moment and ask. All Iā€™m interested in is to know is why in this case it was an instant perma bann.

You can of course criticize ideas and opinions. As long as you stay constructive and within the forum rules.

The forum rules states how that works out:

Suspension & Appeals

Appeals can be made by contacting communityteam@ccpgames.com from the verified email address connected to your EVE Online account(s). Full justification for the behavior that caused the issue of the reprimand, plus a solid case for the reinstatement of forum posting privileges must be presented.

The EVE Universe Community Team will decide based on the case presented. If this decision is unsatisfactory for the user, then they may request escalation, where a final decision will be made by the EVE Universe Community Manager.

Permanent Banning & Appeals

Permanent bans are rarely issued, and only in severe cases where a forum user has grossly violated the rules or has demonstrated a proven track record of disruptive and abusive behavior over the course of multiple months, after repeated warnings and temporary suspensions.

As with warnings and temporary suspensions, permanent bans are issued on a per character basis. Permanent bans are not eligible for general appeal after a given length of time.

Those who have been permanently banned from the forums may however appeal if they feel they have been banned unfairly, or in error.

Decisions regarding permanent forum bans lie solely with the EVE Universe Community Team, and any decisions made regarding their issue are final.

2 Likes

Well let me put it this way, when the person who lead his people to fight to the bitter end against the Naziā€™s in spite of others telling him to make a deal with them is now called a Nazi then you know that there are serious issues.

You can sit there and use the J word in terms of krabbing as we now call it in my alliance, if you did it in comms with me I might think less of you, but I would also recognize that you might have been conditioned to use that word in an environment where others did and donā€™t feel that you are being offensive saying that, in the times it happened with people using it all the time in the alliance where I was number two I did not like it, but because I knew the people I knew that they did not mean anything bad by it.

Anyway, it is trying to balance off that type of thing. This is why I question my reaction to Falcon on the AFK cloaky thread comment, because it is obviously a meme, but still his job is to look after the forum so it works and my view is that he is complaining about his own failure.

This is why I picked up on player features and ideas, what is the point of having that if all it has turned into is a palace where certain players troll the hell out of anyone who comes up with an idea, and no Devs look at the ideas because it turns into a shitestorm of negative posting. just get rid of it, what is the point?

I felt like posting in the AFK cloaky thread my experience of being in an alliance that could out escalate in its main TZ and had something about them. It has not changed my viewpoint about the AFK part being naff in terms of mechanics and wasting time with baits and stuff, but it changed a bit my perspective. But I could not go into that thread to say anything because I could not be bothered to exchange with people like Linus Gorp trolling it. When that happens in the players features and ideas section, what can you say.

If devs have time to moderate threadsā€¦ why donā€™t they have time to interact with players? I guess the answer is that they prefer having a level of separation (ie: the Forums) between players and themselves. Itā€™s strange, because the forums could be their best source of free R&D and feedback. The only reason youā€™d casually ignore such an invaluable resource is that:

a. Youā€™ve elevated yourself to the point where you believe that much of what your playerbase is offering is entirely useless and not worthy of your time and attention.
b. The investors and higher ups are calling the shots and thereā€™s little if any opportunity for even you to actually influence changes in the game - let alone from players.
c. There is just no joy in your work, and the prospect of spending one more unpaid minute on EVE grates on your nerves to no end. You hate EVE and silently pray for the day the server gets shut down.

1 Like

There is nothing more to add in regards to your question. It is answered, you just didnt like the answer that i have given.

5 Likes

I just want to say thanks to you guys for being so light handed.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s right. It isnā€™t so much null vs high. Its engaged players vs mostly alpha clone angry people who have repeated the same gripes for 10 yearsā€¦

This thread is like real life partisan politics. People who are part of something like a political party canā€™t understand why what they are doing sucks, but sure can detail everything that is wrong with other parties.

Its the same here: if the people in this thread would dedicate themselves to changing their one behavior s and put as much energy into that as they did criticizing cop devs and reddit, there would be nothing to complain about in the 1st place.

I tried a repeal once, was told to ā€œread the rules, this conversation is over now.ā€ Thatā€™s the quality of moderation Iā€™ve come to expect from Facebook, who ban me for making priest jokes, not CCP, itā€™s genuinely saddening when thatā€™s the best reply I can get when I ask a serious question regarding my posts removal.

2 Likes

What the issue is that if you want people to come out with ideas as part of a community going forward to be enthused with the game etc., calling them whiners and stuff like that is so destructive.

Of course you can explain things to them, but why do so many people have to be raging dicks about it, for example calling them a whiner straight off.

Personally I would have differing layers of moderation for different sections of the forums, because the objective of player features and ideas is to get people to express ideas. But in the Eve forums it is express ideas then get trolled to death by people who play just about within the rules.

3 Likes

There are certain things youā€™re allowed to say on the Forums - just not in particular combinations. For example:

bot, botting, RMT, cheating

Are all acceptable words. In addition, country or origins are also vald:

US, Russian, Chinese

You can also distinuish between the Western (Tranquility) and Eastern (Serenity) servers. Where it becomes tricky is mixing and matching any of the above when including in a sentence.