Why do you play in Highsec space?

My main is in null… my best alt is high-sec. I enjoy both :slight_smile:

My reason is that I’m new and getting started. While no part of EVE is safe (not even the markets!!!), high security space works like a set of training wheels.

My combat skills also suck but I’m getting better at it.

I don’t see the point in going to nullsec until I am ready. That means a lot more skills updates and learning how to get max DPS out of ships.

The money is ok if you need a quick injection of cash, Belt ratting can be done by a new player in a cruiser, It’s about 6m to 9m per belt with bonuses atm in Stain. I used to rat with a few new guys back in the day we used assault frigates was a good laugh.

Listen, if any new player or experienced is looking to learn 0.0 survival I might be open to help, I’m in Stain which is npc 0.0. If a few of you want to come and set me blue that would be cool. I could show you some survival tactics and we could do some missions or belt ratting whatever really. Survival skills are useful there are so many things you can do to keep safe in 0.0.

I’m on in the evenings in UK - GMT and more than happy to make some new friends, look me up if you fancy a friendly adventure.

2 Likes

I spend a lot of time in HS these days as I don’t have a lot of spare time at the moment. So I can jump on, make some rats explode or mine with friends. When I do have more time and headspace to commit I spend the majority of my time in WHs or NPC NS. Sometimes kicking backing and watching a pretty explosion of a few rats is very nice. I would rather dedicate myself to WHs but due to real life things there are times when that’s not an option. So logging in for an hour or two to blow up some NPCs or mine and chat with friends is a good option.

1 Like

I play in high security system to build my corp.
Building my wallet from zero.
Avoiding conflicts.

1 Like

Because CCP fired their economist and then proceeded to ■■■■ up the economy.

Give them an incentive out of your time and pocket to come. People that stay in high sec do so because they don’t want a second job playing lackey for some nobody.

I play in lowsec because, how did you put it,

High sec can be extremely grindy not to mention filled with corps that swindle their player base.

1 Like

Every other part of EVE is so grindy that the extra stress of PVP risk means I would avoid LS and died nearly every time I visited.

Nothing about the LS experience seemed worth it. As a new player, it was too expensive in terms of my own game time to make the venture trips to fund my own PVP.

Because I avoided LS/NS, I never learned to PVP.

Games with better game play and controls are much more rewarding to fight other players in. EVE combat feels boring and like I have no control over my own success. (SP and fit will beat raw skill every time in EVE)

Since EVE PVP is boring, frustrating, and dated, I want to avoid it as much as possible.

1 Like

6 Likes

My opinions about a thing are not an attack on someone who enjoys the thing. Just my opinion. Ironically, because the game started me in HS, that’s my understanding of what Normal EVE is. I have no chill enough to spend hours mining to fund PVP I don’t enjoy. Since everything in EVE is overly difficult, learning to PVP seems like a chore, where I wouldn’t be having fun.

Intellectually, I get the complicated interplay of traversal, velocity, range, etc. I’m not dismissing the skill that goes into that. The actual execution in the game of these factors is opaque and boring. PVP has poor feedback, where you don’t know you’re making a mistake until you are down hours of effort.

HS is such a low profit environment, I have a billion on my main and I am terrified of spending 5% of that trying to learn PVP and improving only marginally. Just seems like a waste, considering I don’t enjoy it.

You can spar with people for free on the test server. Although this won’t help you with certain tactical knowledge, it does help you learn how ships/modules/fits you aren’t used to using can perform, in addition to learning the intricacies of various mechanics.

Actually the game used to be more transparent with certain maths and used to tell you useful stats about traversal that you could easily use to know/compare how your guns were tracking in real time vs an actual target. Then CCP decided that those numbers made comparing guns on the market too hard for noobs and hid them inside the stats you see now. This unfortunately means you have to reverse engineer the stats to get useful combat numbers.

Or, just accept that I’m not having fun, and just play in HS, or lately not at all.

If they want people to play PVP, make the gameplay more fun to learn.

Fun is subjective.

If everyone thought the same things were fun you wouldn’t have such diversity in entertainment options. Maybe you should seek out things you find fun rather than hitting your head against a brick wall by joining a game you don’t find fun and then wanting the devs to change it.

Because I enjoyed lots of the game without enjoying PVP. I enjoy analyzing complex systems and making profits! I enjoy the slow dopamine curve of BPCs, Mining, and missions. Exploration puzzle solving is great. I can criticize something and still enjoy it. I don’t think swearing to defend EVE from ever changing was in the EULA, but I might need to reread it.

So either your definition of fun is grinding to the point your at max stress or your very conflicted and have no idea what you like from one moment to the next?

Not enjoying PvP or direct confrontation is completely fine, not understanding PvP is completely fine, having a personal opinion on it is completely fine.

But then you make statements on how PvP factually works, while admitting that you lack expertise on it, and that is where it stops being fine.

3 Likes

Are you trying to logic me into enjoying gameplay? :wink: That’s not how humans work. Equating me not enjoying part of a very old poorly maintained piece of software with me having a character defect is pretty silly.

You’re right, though: I think I need to just bite the bullet and learn to solo run Abyssals with Alpha skills and ships. I feel like they made those for folks like me. I just feel like that doesn’t address my core issues with gameplay.

That seems to be the solution for players that don’t want to engage with PVP. But I’m certainly not happy with it.

1 Like