Why Eve will never Fulfill its potential

You can’t P2W what you can’t win. Ez.

2 Likes

Yes, how much you are able to pay.
In EVE its even easier, as you dont have to fight personally.
I have seen people doing unbelievable things for money. When you are able to find someone who will do stuff you want, you can win. if not today, then tomorrow.

lol - gotta love “anybody who might disagree with me in any way is a dummy dummy poopoo head…dummy!” kind of posts. I love you internet. <3

“it depends”
“Anyone who thinks that it even remotely does that…”

Well…which is it? “depends” would include scenarios that fit EvE not being p2w, wouldn’t it?

EvE had the same ability for people to try p2w since you could buy characters on the bazaar/plex, and in general it didn’t turn out so well. Or are you talking about buying a fleet of titans with rl money or something?

1 Like

i flew with the lad that wrote that , feck i was talking to him while he wrote it and the salient point is clear.
you cant throw money at eve and it grantees you no meaningfull advantage.

It gives you a great advantage :smiley: the more bling you are the less you have to look for fights becuase they will look for you :smiley:

4 Likes

I find this to be true. The most that money can do for you, is allow you to skip the waiting part. I’m currently skilling up an alt to do exploration. If I threw money at it (in the form of injectors), I could go out scanning this very second. But there is a difference in my technical ability to approach content, and the ability to do content that practical on-hands experience grants you.

I suppose looking at the grand scheme of EvE, the only challenge there ever was or ever will be, is the act of finding someone to fly with. Earning trust and having someone to help you bring your goals to fruition is basically the long and short of EvE. Everything else is just details.

2 Likes

Eve is like poker.
Once you’ve a handle on the rules and mechanics of how it works you get to play the real game … The others at the table.

You can throw as much mony on that table as you like but if the lads sitting round it are better players than you are its for nought.

1 Like

I suspect OP didn’t bother to sit down down and draft out point by point manifesto. Probably OP just meant to say, “The things we’re hearing from the guys who make and host this game seem to more toward sales, consumers, instant gratification, all that.”

Not OP’s fault, or CCP’s either, for that matter. CCP developed an ultimate limited anarchy sandbox world, but with tight laws about how anything could physically happen within that world. Stuff started happening organically within that free world. On the null SOV side, eventually some tribes arose to become herded-cat nations, and after many wars, diplomatic alliances coalitions/betrayals, one tribe prevailed. (grr Goons/Imperium). And then, due to hubris/overextension/barbarian-punks invasion, they collapsed. Just like the way things tend to happen with Earth societies and empires, eh? Romans, Mongols, Napoleonics, etc eh?

Odd that how it happened in CCP’s sandbox mirrored the same. Or, not that much at all. The way they designed the sandbox always allows for the next Genghis or Khan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

idk… i see star citizen taking off when its more fluid. eve offers something special in terms of game design. but i think its not the most immersible environment. with no walking in stations, seeing my own avatar and the stations, no ship deck, or captains bridge, etc etc. cant go planet side… you know what I mean.

that said eve may not be the most “in space feeling” but its unique and no game is like it. but i feel star citizen is where its at if you want to be in space, realistically that is.

1 Like

Yes Vortexo it would indeed include scenarios that fit EVE not being P2W and I said that. It’s just that that particular article doesn’t prove anything and it’s total nonsense. It is possible to be right about something even though you arrived at your accurate conclusion through faulty logic. I wasn’t weighing in on whether EVE is or isn’t P2W, I was criticizing the rationale as it was an example of beating a straw man at best.
I have never before waded into any of these topics as they immediately become tedious emotional ad hominem wars, boring and irrational. This particular article bothered me when I read it and I refrained from commenting originally, but seeing it again sort of “triggered” me, lol. It was a mistake and I won’t repeat it. Carry on.

wait for it…wait for it…gj

1 Like

Did you even read the article I’m criticizing? Also I suggest you look up the definition of ad hominem. So yes, if you think the argument in that article holds water, you are deficient in logical skills. Same if you think 2+2=5 or that the earth is flat. Nothing ad hominem about any of it. Ok, done going down the rabbit hole.

Now THIS would be ad hominem:

Regarding the title of this post.

Being strict, I’d have to say that potential is not static and never fulfilling it may be a good thing, as it can mean to keep on evolving, never giving up on becoming, ever chasing the next better version of oneself.

1 Like

You’re not criticising the article, you’re calling the audience fools.
I’d say you should think about explaining your rationale behind doing so.

OP’s rhetoric invalidates his topic.

Kinda responding to a comment further up the thread…
EVE is never was never and never will be P2W. You could spend thousands of Dollars on a spanking new character and have him sitting in a blinged-out Titan in an hour or two and have your two year old nephew fly it, but that’ll be like putting someone who’s never driven before behind the wheel of a Bugatti.

It’ll only ever end badly.

1 Like

At last a Actual Logical response. Yes I agree but being able to fix your lack of experience by investing in more and more ships does lead into a gray area,
Where eventually do they learn from there mistakes or just spend a fortune, trying to . Btw thank you for a logical and normal response to a general question.

This is funny, I post a thread about my worries about the state of eve, and you post your worries about the state of my liver, lol. well just to set your mind at ease, i have been drinking over 50 units a week for well over 40 years and my bloodwork is fine. My spelling sucks , but my liver and kidneys are fine. lol.

When I started posting on BB’s (bulletin boards for you young uns) in the 1980’s the answers attached to the original question , why does this not happen now ?

1 Like

If only Titans would feel anywhere as fast as a Bugatti.

1 Like

Bragging about your alcoholism just because it hasn’t (yet) caught up with you is like someone bragging about how often they play russian roulette. Either they are lucky and stupid. Or they are exaggerating to make themselves look cool.

1 Like