Why is the game so complicated?

Welcome, Azules KURT, to Eve Online. o7

3 Likes

Guys, can I ask you something? Can you explain what happened to me?

First, they pinpointed and destroyed my Cynosural ship at a random location. Then, at another point where my cloak was active, they opened this thing called a “Mobile Observatory” that I just learned about, and instantly appeared right next to me. The interesting thing is, the moment my cloak deactivated, I tried to beam to another location, but the guy was next to me within 5 seconds. It’s impossible for me to be caught that quickly. So I was standing 100km away from a random planet. And 5 seconds after my invisibility closed, the ship appeared next to me.

Just when I thought there was nothing left in this ridiculous game that I didn’t know, something else pops up and I lose my ship again…

I’ve given up on this game. This game is not a game that can be played solo.

1 Like

If you’re talking about that Thanatos you lost, then you were probed out. A carrier takes all 2 seconds to probe, its signature is enormous. You probably didn’t estimate the time correctly, likely it was more like 15-20 seconds when they got to you. But if you parked your carrier at a planet rather than at a safe spot, then it’s pretty easy to get you even without the probes. And you won’t go into warp in that thing before dedicated hunters land on grid with you.

You have made quite a number of ‘‘noob’’ errors here. For one, you seem not to have used dscan – otherwise you would have known they were on the way to you before they landed on grid with you. The Loki and/or Proteus were probably there first and sat cloaked near you – those you couldn’t see on dscan as they can warp cloaked. But you would have seen the probes.
EDIT: it is also possible they knew the planet you were at before you cloaked your carrier. In that case they just needed to drop the Mobile Observatory to get your cloak to deactivate and then approach you and lock you once in range. Doesn’t take that long. This is why you go to a safe spot and not to a warpable celestial.

Second, you parked your carrier at a planet, rather than at a safe spot.

Third, your carrier was only partially fit.

You haven’t fully familiarized yourself with nullsec mechanics, before going into that space in a ship that costs 2.5b just hull alone. I’m not trying to make you feel bad. But you can’t blame the ‘‘game’’ here. These are all preventable mistakes you made.

For one, always use dscan, wherever you are and whatever it is you’re doing.

1 Like

Doubt…

You used a regular cyno at a random location to jump the Thanatos in I assume, which makes it a regular cyno rather than a covert cyno.

Regular cynos can be warped to from anywhere in system, which is how they so easily found your ‘random location’.

Hiding your cyno in a random location only works for covert cynos. Regular cynos will want the system to be clear for the duration, have backup of other players to defend it, or be disposable in case people see it, like mobile cynosural beacons.

These two events were unrelated.

First, they were very much prepared to hunt big ships, it looks like, if they immediately popped down a mobile observatory the moment you cloaked your Thanatos.

Mobile observatories take 10 minutes to send their first ping, and for the first 15 minutes you should have ‘cloak stability’ so it wouldn’t be after 20 minutes that the second ping gets it’s first chance of 40% to decloak your Carrier.

However, as they immediately found you rather than 20 minutes later, it looks like you made a big mistake. Either they found your safe spot with combat probes while you were still at the end of your warp and thus not yet cloaked, or you had not prepared safe spots but warped at range at a known object and they saw which direction you warped.

image

It looks like you warped at 100 to a planet.

People who are observing your ship cloaked can see which direction you warp to, and as they are chasing you they too will warp at 100 to the objects in that direction.

Luckily a planet can have multiple warp locations, like the skyhook (if present) or a few moons (if present). But warping to 100 at the planet itself is likely the first thing to try and the first thing for them to check.

If you’re going to bring a carrier out in space, at least prepare some safe bookmark spots in the middle of nowhere so people cannot warp right after you but must bring out combat probes.

I have no doubt they were well-prepared for capital ship hunting and had combat probes too, like they had mobile observatories, but it appears you made it so easy for them that all those tools weren’t even necessary.

Again, bigger ships aren’t going to solve your issues.

Try to learn the game first, hunt some ships and get to know the tricks you can use to find someone so that you can use that same knowledge to not be found.

3 Likes

To add, you said your cyno was at a ‘random location’, but it appears to have been lit at a station:

image

Not only is the cyno visible throughout the entire system to be warped to, warping to the station where you see a Falcon on dscan is pretty easy too.

That location wasn’t nearly as ‘random’ as you make it sound to be. It’s visible and warpable for everyone!

The biggest challenge those people probably had was to decide whether you were bait or not, but only until they saw the zkillboard which shows no signs of danger.

2 Likes

One more post.

I realize now your cyno was destroyed in Egbinger.
Your Thanatos was caught in UNJ-GX, four jumps further.

The same people who hunted your cyno also caught your Carrier, but no other cyno in your last system.

Do I understand correctly that you gated a Thanatos four gates through hostile null sec, without using a cyno?

I really recommend against doing that.

Never gate a capital ship if you can avoid it, use the jump drive.

Or instead, try flying some cheaper ships for a while while you learn how to stay alive. Like I said before in this thread, going bigger is only going to result in more losses:

  • you’re easier to catch
  • people are more motivated to hunt you
1 Like

giphy

1 Like

Credit to you for taking the loss maturely. While still expressing a bit of frustration. Still the tone, was how did this happen? The advice offered and explanation is what happens. When a player comes on with a serious question in not understanding a game mechanic. Able to accept that one was operating on a false premise or belief.

This is the way it is supposed to work. Kudo’s for willing to learn. Willing to accept that a bad decision that you unknowingly made. Resulted in your unfortunate loss of a ship. Now you know and I have every reason to believe you will not repeat it.

1 Like

I recently lost a 4Bn cargo trying to dock in Jita.

It happens.

I would have finally gotten into Dreads had I docked that. Now I will have to wait a while.

One tip: If you’re warping to 100km off a planet, don’t, find a moon instead, go for gas giants with like 20 moons and take a random one.

Also, be careful of Customs Offices, as these decloak you if you end up near one.

Just FYI, you can prevent this by making a bookmark well within the docking ring and then warping to that instead of directly to the station.

Warping directly to the station carries a risk that you land a bit outside of the docking radius and have to slowboat that last little bit. If you warp to a bookmark placed well inside the radius, you’ll always be able to dock without ever becoming targetable.

I know. I have bookmarks for docking and undocking all over null and low and I use these things a lot, but haven’t set anything up at Jita, mainly cos while I’ve heard of this happening to people from time to time, it had never happened to me, so it was on the list of things I should probably do but never quite get around to, I always remember “i should really do bms here” just as I’m leaving.

It was my own fault, my inventory flashed and said X new items in Uedama, I figured I’d been scanned, should have docked up somewhere else, didn’t, was talking to the wife about something, not really paying attention… plop.

The guy’s fit is something else.

It sounds like you deserved it!

Yeah I absolutely earned that one

1 Like

FIle a ticket , demand your shiny toy back or threaten to play Hello Kitty

kkkk you guys never gonna let that rest in peace huh?

The more honest the thread is, the more crap you all give to the poster.

The ultimate goal of EVE forums is to antagonize. :rofl:

2 Likes

It is the internet.. It stays forever. Still I did give credit were it was due. And while Zaera can throw that post up all she wants. The player in question was still humble to come here and learn from a mistake. That is, in my opinion, more important than a few words from a post from the past.

Hillmar the CEO actually said this once

2 Likes

I’d say the ship type I most like to fly is cruisers…especially HACs. I like that perfect balance of speed, firepower, tank, and so on. I have a Vargur, but I seldom go out in it. It’s just an unwieldly, gankworthy, slow tracking, monstrosity that is more a ‘look how fair I’ve skilled’ status symbol than a real contender for a fight.

1 Like

Thats what ive grown accustomed to as well…..i really like the T3 cruisers. Big enough to participate in high end activities but small enough to have the speed and agility to get in and get out.

1 Like