Yes, we have a Troglodyte problem

A Troglodyte is a human cave dweller. Not sure of the meaning of this.

I think you are all missing the spirit of Lucii Dowenport’s post: It seems obvious to me that she is being quite reasonable when suggesting to give new players a chance–what does it really cost you to choose a foe that can match your expertise? I see nothing problematic here.
In addition, the comparison to rape culture seems to be addressing the socially Darwinian comments and playing strategies of the players who only play to kill: There is a mentality of “if I can kill, I should.” Where is the skill or strategy or intellect in that?
Ask yourselves, are you really angry that someone is calling out problematic ethics? Iron sharpens iron, friends.

I think the message is that anyone who plays with primitive tactics = cave dweller.

To be able to write posts like these. Amongst other things.

It seems you didn’t read @Katya_Itzimaru ’s post above at all. They just described why groups like BlackFlag would attack a group like 1st Collective. If 1st Collective is going to take steps like putting down structures, they should be able to defend them. You aren’t owed structures in Eve. You aren’t even owed a ship. So why shouldn’t they attack you?

Your argument is analogous to logging into Call of Duty and asking to not be shot on sight. Eve is built in large part around PVP, asking people to not engage in pvp when you consented to PVP by undocking, is the epitome of entitlement and naïveté.

Don’t undock if you don’t want to get killed.
If you wish to avoid being killed by players, you have three options:
1, don’t undock
2, if you do undock then only do it in newbie systems
3, play on the test server when it becomes available to you, where all PvP is consensual and you can do pve and krab to your heart’s content

But if none of those options appeal to you, then EveOnline clearly isn’t the game for you, and you need to play another one.

Don’t come into the main server unless you want to fight. That’s your only option.

1 Like

This, although I prefer to use Team Fortress 2 as the metaphor. You sometimes get friendly heavies giving everyone sandwiches, but don’t count on it.

In my opinion it’s somewhat irresponsible to put one’s own feelings of how the game should be played over the needs of one’s corp members (subjecting them to wardec gameplay before they’re ready).

Edit: it’s worth stating I don’t have a dog in the fight, I don’t participate in HS industry or PVP.

1 Like

The idea that people are troglodytes, simply because they play the game differently to the way you think is ok, is ridiculous.

Why is your opinion any more valid than theirs?

and if the answer is, it isn’t, then either they aren’t troglodytes for the way they play, or you are equally a troglodyte for playing the way you do.

and if the answer is, because reasons, then you are just straight out, a troglodyte.

2 Likes

Eve exists to provide asymmetric conflict. That’s core to it’s design. If CCP did not want the strong preying on the weak, they could make it so. They are God.

Why play Eve when other games with far more symmetric conflict, or indeed no human vs human conflict at all are available?

While it is regrettable, ruthless and bloodthirsty tactics are effective. Calling them primitive when you are unable to surpass them with a more effective method is hubris.

1 Like

This conversation we’re having is part of the assymetric conflict. We are embracing it - not rejecting it.

It’s not going well for you.

You need a new strategy.

2 Likes

I don’t think Lucii’s issue was that people play the game differently, no, of course, that is encouraged. The issue is picking off new players before they learn the skills. It’s really as simple as that.

Ironic, that so many feel the need to comment if the strategy is not working; perhaps the goal was the conversation.

So I shoot at a lot of people in capital ships, it’s what I do in eve.

They’re expensive, very skill-intensive ships. People piloting them should know what they’re doing, the risks and consequences of making mistakes while using them.

Here lies the arguement: most know what they’re doing, but some are pretty incompetent.

Should I let the incompetent ones go? They’ve put themselves in situations they can’t handle, but then I guess they don’t know better.

Is it morally wrong for me to kill the incompetent ones? Is it morally right for me to kill the competent ones?

Making yourself war eligible is much the same situation as flying a capital.

1 Like

I have another rule book for you:

Don’t discuss things if you don’t want to get opposed.

If you wish to avoid being opposed by other gamers, you have three options:
1, don’t post things
2, if you do post then only do it in newbie forums
3, talk on a test forum when it becomes available to you, where all opinions about PvP on EVE is consensual and you can have only one opinion about EVE to your heart’s content

:slight_smile:

Lucii, as director of the corp, made a conscious decision to allow her corp to become war eligible, and therefore allow the new players in her corp to be picked off.

It is perfectly possible to develop as a corp of new players without owning structures yourself until you become a pvp capable entity.

4 Likes

Sounds like you’re getting exactly the experience that you seek from this game, just like the rest of us.

For example, the reason why I obliterate new players and their structures is to read posts like these.

2 Likes

Your intellect and skills are astounding.

I know that deploying structures make corps war eligible. I know that you know that I know. We are not sad or grumpy about that. It’s part of the game. Like everyone’s agreed so far.

There has to be an intellectual element of playing EVE. What that means is that this discussion right now is also part of the game, you see.

We are using this opportunity to discuss an ingame philosophy that we’ve labelled the ‘troglodyte phenomenon’, which means that supposedly powerful players attack targets that can’t defend themselves. It is true that it was I who made the conscious decision to unarm our station to make it defenseless so it would seem even more ridiculous, unimpressive and embarrassing to shoot at. Also, so this discussion could take place. I am not wasting my time to point out to anyone that wants to listen that - contrary of what some of you seem to think - a kill is far from just a kill. But some of you are in fact learning that, now.

Welp, time to go glass some newbies

1 Like

So you’re a Trog. Nothing exciting with that. :slight_smile: