Yet Another Skilling Spree

Back on track - I believe the skilling sprees work well for younger chars. A poorly mapped and implanted char is gaining around 2000 sp per hour under usual training. Even the low tier 10k sp “quest” gives a nice step up for a new player.

2 Likes

Yep…because there is STILL WAY too much PVP here…mentioned changes simply didn’t go FAR enough because CCP bowed down before the protests of the minority and took needed changes back and didn’t even realized farther going ones…THIS IS THE PROBLEM HERE…CCP STEPPED BACK…

Make high PVP free and the playerbase will rise again because of the 85%…

Simply get the fact that PVP is a small minority and doesn’t MATTER for this game…

Yeah I agree, the main aspect of it that I think should be changed is have the tasks mixed up to reflect all of the various career paths available in Eve, such as mining, manufacturing, hauling, research, combat, etc.

Could even have the tasks be presented as multiple choice so the player can choose the type of task that pertains to their specific career choice in Eve.

1 Like

Ok, where does this 85% figure come from? Please, I’m not being stupid about it or anything I just want to know where the figure comes from. The source - what is the source for this figure?

Sorry but you are wrong, Eve is and always will be a PvP game at its core. I am the very model of what @Merin_Ryskin calls hi-sec farmer trash but I accept that clicking that Undock button means that someone can take my ship away from me if I am not careful.

Removing PvP from Eve (or even parts of Eve like hi-sec) would mean that Eve is not Eve anymore.

In general PvP is avoidable if you pay attention unless you are specifically targetted, in that case all you can do is shrug and accept it.

1 Like

Agreed, and I think some people have misunderstood my earlier posts. Just to recap:

I’m fine with Skilling Sprees, they’re an okay little distraction. They are less okay when they are running 2/3 of the time, or when they replace what I consider ‘real’ events, because they promote less real game activity than real events.

To the guy who called me out on “Wasn’t there an actual event running when you posted this?” (@Shipwreck_Jones), yes there was, and good call. Personally though it honestly slipped my mind, because neither myself nor any of the people I usually talk to are running it or even thinking about it. One of the guys did run two sites and reported back “not worth it” (yes I know that’s a small sample), but honestly, a low sec event, with quite difficult sites, with poor RNG on the drops isn’t much of an event IMO. But it is, at least, an effort, and probably an experiment worth testing.

Chocotat and DMC have the right idea here, I think. Heck, you could make Skilling Sprees a permanent game feature even: just mix it up a little, give 3 tasks per day, each from a different career, with smaller SP rewards. Player gets to complete one - PvE, mining, haul, PvP, explore, whatever. Then they could still have ‘Skilling Spree’ events, but bump up the tasks a little, make the SP rewards 25/50/75, make them a little rarer. But still, not replacing ‘real’ events.

Last, for @FairyTail_Omaristos, not because I think the side-argument about PvP/no-PvP is relevant here but just because they’ve asked a couple times, the 85% PvE / 15% PvP stat comes from an old CCP presentation. It needs some context and is part of a different discussion really but the link is:

1 Like

That, right there, is a sentence worth remembering.

I’ve given up hopes of ever seeing some actually awesome content in Eve after I mistakenly thought Triglavian introduction would be the Eden-uniting event that the new, super-powerful enemies will inspire. That we’ll finally get together to fight off something so powerful it will take each and everyone of us united to survive. I thought maybe some scientific expeditions would be organized to capture new, cutting-edge technology, or learn about Triglav past.

Serves me right for getting my hopes up - all it did was introducing new ships to blow up one another with, and new ganking opportunity named Abysmal Space.

So yeah, keep that sentence in mind and don’t expect anything but pew-pew garbage and you’ll enjoy the rest of Eden for what it is.

This game will never introduce an event radically changing history, narrative or the general politics of the stale New Eden sector, the way Thargoids could’ve changed Elite: Dangerous’ optics (which they failed at introducing as well). I understand that now and I stand corrected with my expectations. Come join me.

1 Like

You are most likely correct. The one and only time something like this has happened was the March 2009 release, Apocrypha. That introduced w-space, sleepers and the T3C’s.

That was back when CCP were in their own words “awesome”. The “technical debt” that expansion created was (is still being?) paid for with many years of mediocre content and lots of refactoring of the core game code.

Personally I don’t believe the CCP of today has the staff numbers, staff talent or even the balls to try something like Apocrypha again.

1 Like

I concur. Jin’taan put it perfectly in a recent YouTube vid where he said he’s very pessimistic that CCP even has a long term road map that they are following. So in the Black-out and Trig are the best they can do now, it is not looking good.

Yep, that’s the point.

We have to enjoy it for what it is.

On the other hand, I’m pretty sure that introducing a lore changing event as the one you are describing would succesfully please most of the playerbase, including a huge part of the players who currently focus on PvP.

The difference between your vision, that would undeniably bring interesting things to the game, and Darlo vision, is that this guy do not want any actual new content or new mecanics. He only ask for CCP to make the other players unable to shoot at him while he continu mindlesly farming the current PvE content. Not once did we see him propose something that would actually make the PvE content worth doing: No, he want to be safe from other players, end of the story.

You might be right. For a certain period of time, making PvP “free”, I suppose you mean “not loosing your ship”, might attract players to do it.

However, without loose, give it like a month and the market will completely crash because nobody need to buy/produce new ships and new gears, since in this game the only reason why you would want to obtain new ship/gear is because you lost the previous ones, it’s not a game like WoW where you can constantly upgrade your gear if you continu playing. In EvE there is a maximum.

Basically you would completelly kill miners and industrials because nobody would need them anymore. And to some degree you would even kill missions runners, because why would they still run missions once they have the best ship they want and never need to replace it or upgrade it anymore?

Seriously Darlo, you just look like you don’t understand anything about this game. You even propose changes that would kill your own gameplay, that’s really ridiculous at this point.

But I don’t expect you to give an answer to that, you already showed me that when a post contain good arguments that destroy your theories, you decide to ignore the post instead of taking it into account and/or answering it.

Yep. However it looks like by “do PvP” they only take into account the players who are actively pewpewing other players ship, while I believe that everybody talking about “PvP” here also take into account the indirect PvP. For instance everybody participating to the SoV system, to the power of an alliance, to the control/exploitation of a certain moon, etc, is actually doing PvP.

No it won’t. If this was true you would see increases in player count after PvP nerfs, but even when PvP is nerfed your imaginary horde of PvE farmers doesn’t show up.

But, as I have asked before, why should we care? Farmer trash doesn’t interact with anyone else, it just sits in its private PvE site farming the same menial task over and over and over again until it gets bored and quits. In fact, the presence of farmer trash is bad for everyone else. If I’m a market/industry/PvE player the last thing I want is more competition flooding the market and driving prices down.

So tell me, why exactly do I want this expansion in player count? I get what’s in it for farmer trash like you, but what’s in it for the rest of us?

Honestly, if they simply made eve have 10 times the systems it presently does, that’d get people leaving high sec I bet.

I would be one of those welcoming the change, shaking New Eden in its core.

Careful with the elitist rhetoric and descriptive crap like “farmer trash”.
See the highlighted quote and replace “farming the same menial task” with “looking for PvP fight” and what will you get? The only difference between elitist PvP and “farmer trash” - mainly, the task that they do over and over. Farmers crying when easy ISK sinks are nerfed, and - allow me to paraphrase - PvP trash crying when PvP nerfs are introduced.

Stand far enough and you couldn’t tell one from the other. Apart from the elitist rhetoric, that is.
So how about some more respect in talking one to another, eh?
I’m sure it’s not so difficult for someone who proclaims to be virtually better in every regard than the criticized counterpart. Or is it just an empty argument?

1 Like

Well yes, the difference in the task would definitely be the difference between the two.

Farmer trash just sits there farming a menial task forever. PvE farming is not challenging in any way, you just mindlessly follow the standard farming procedure and watch the number in your wallet go up. There’s no meaningful risk of failure, once you have established your farming the worst that can happen is that your ISK/hour average isn’t quite as high as a perfect farmer’s. And in the unlikely event that any challenge appears the reaction is not to work harder to defeat the challenge, it’s to run to the forums to whine and demand nerfs until farming goes back to being effortless ISK.

PvP players may repeat the same activity but it is one that requires thinking and being better than an opponent who is doing their best to kill you. The risk of failure and ship loss is constant, and when a PvP player loses they aim to do better next time. They don’t whine on the forums about how PvP needs to be removed because someone was better than them and destroyed their ship. They don’t demand the removal of permanent item loss to make PvP easier. Etc.

So how about some more respect in talking one to another, eh?

Nope. Farmer trash will never be respected because it is a cancer that needs to be removed from the game.

What? Several regions of nullsec are almost completely empty. Wormholes even more so. Outside of the faction warfare systems lowsec is dead, too. Where do you think we need more systems?

1 Like

Nope, these would almost immediately be absorbed into one part or another of the Blue Donut. There would be no space unclaimed.

To me, Eve is a beautiful game to look at. It has some very interesting aspects like the player run market. The PvP is better than most MMOs, but still deeply flawed. In the beginning they paid writers to produce stories about the Eve universe and you could really get excited about what was going on and the potential for great things. Perhaps an MMO is not an effective storytelling medium? I’m not sure. It just seems to me that an entire facet of the universe has been ignored, in an absolute 100% way.

Why would a company that is desperate to retain customers just ignore the possibility of retaining people through a plotline? The triglavians could have been interesting; they required a lot of developer and designer time to create and now maintain - but they are completely stupid and didn’t add anything to the game. If people are willing to log in just to AFK mine, then certainly they would log in to find out what was happening “in the news.” If there were any news, that is.

Well maybe not completely 100%, there is one Lore guy (Hi @CCP_Delegate_Zero!) but thats a long way from the lore team we had a decade ago.

Because they thought they didn’t need them, so they were fired. They (CCP management) don’t see the attraction or draw of Lore / Story, its just fluff and so it is the first thing to be discarded.

Here, I’ve fixed it for you.

You’re no different than a farmer you so despise, apart from a bigger ego, which this…

… proves perfectly. You even lack the necessary better etiquette to prove your own point of being above farmers - you’re just as whiny as they are, you’re just as self-centered as they are, and you’re just as narrow-minded as they are, which, coincidentally, is why you can’t even see your own pitiful spiteness.
You even lack the decency - and arguably oral skills - to present your opinion in a respectable way without resorting to epithets, which is a mark of a simpleton mind.

I simply hoped asking for some decency from you may not fall on deaf ears, but even direct request is an exercise in futility. Because if you had any valid arguments behind your point of view, I trust I would’ve been presented with one by now. The lack thereof implies no deeper argument/thought on your part, which sadly represents no value to my interest in broadening my point of view.

3 Likes

I know you are being facetious, but I am pretty sure that a big draw of the science fiction universe is the actual science fiction. I don’t feel like Eve has any story at all anymore. You could almost forget it was a science fiction world. Gallente? Amarr? Meh. All I care about is whether my ship fits blasters or beam lasers.

1 Like