Captain's quarters in our stations

YOU have completely lost the point.

1 Like

-I love this!

You got some snap

1 Like

You are going somewhere

1 Like

BTW these are not mine ideas, its a screen from Fanfest presentation from CCP. Year 2009.

7 Likes

Walking in Stations had a lot of potential, it’s a shame, but I’m also glad I know for certain that it is never coming. It isn’t good to keep your customers hanging onto false hope.

2 Likes

Maybe we’ll get walking OUT of stations at some point. T3 Dessies already transform somewhat. I’m just waiting for some class to go full robo-mode.

–Mecha aspirant Gadget

2 Likes

It seems like there’s an opportunity to build a completely separate client that would be able to identify where a pilot is docked and allow the avatar in that standalone client to be the social interface for walking around a station, shopping, grabbing a drink, etc. that would be able to sense when a pilot is docked at a station.

If a pilot isn’t docked in Eve, then the other client wouldn’t allow for avatar socialization, just interfacing the chat client, especially since that chat client is no longer an in Eve game based interface.

The social world could leverage inventory of clothing and apparel just as easily from the Eve side.

Just a germ thought.

1 Like

They screwed the pooch by removing a feature that virtually nobody actually used? :stuck_out_tongue:
Yeah try again

1 Like

Virtually nobody used it because CCP had not done anything to make it usable. So CCP then using the “reasoning” that nobody used CQ to remove it seems a glaring case of circular reasoning.

Yeah…can you not see that?

3 Likes

Sure i can, but even if they had fleshed it out fully, the use would have been minimal, every single station action would take longer, most people don’t care about stations in a spaceship game :stuck_out_tongue:

It really wasn’t worth the effort and it was only really a tech demo for the WoD stuff they had planned at one point but then dropped anyway, sure there would be “some” people who insist on doing everything in a station at a slower rate because they think someone cares about what their avatar is wearing or want to look at their own butts all the time, but the long and the short of it is, it was a stupid idea in the first place

Well…

EvE isn’t JUST a spaceship game.
Yes space battles are one focus, but they could have just developed an MMO version of Galaga.

But they didn’t.
The founders wanted a social and economic aspect to the game of the type that UO failed to fully achieve.

The original given intention of WiS was to expand on this.
They bungled the release of it and then got gun-shy after the riots. The exposure of certain a executive’s hubris during this period didn’t help one bit.

Honestly, if the dream had been achieved, and WiS had been fleshed out properly with real reasons to be there rather than just voguing, then maybe EvE would be a different game now.

However, I don’t think EvE would have veered too far from what it’s always been - a game about freedom (with spaceships).

–Gadget does dig the ships though

3 Likes

Right from the start CCP wanted Eve Online to be more than just a Spaceship Simulation game, they wanted it to be a Sci-Fi Virtual Reality Universe. Course as usual they stayed true to their reputation of promising big, delivering little and then abandon it forever.

CCP = Can’t Code Properly

2 Likes

UO had better social mechanics than EVE.
Economy was unusual due to lack of a formal market system, all trading was player to player, or from vendors. Durability etc ensured item sink. Plenty of gold sinks.

The economy worked until bots wrecked it.

If there is one thing EVE should learn from UO, is never allow bots to proliferate. (aside from not splitting into PvE/PvP shards).

Bots WILL wreck a games economy if not addressed in a timely and effectively matter.

2 Likes

Dont know why items in EVE dont have this. Especially those tech 1 meta items that are cheap already. If they would be burned completely, they should be gone forever, turning to junk and mangled metal. Faction and tech 2 items and deadspace and officer modules could stay as they are, repairable from that completely burned state.

1 Like

Ideally, modules should suffer durability loss. Not as loss in efficiency, but as an inevitable sink of that item due to loss of durability.

This would however complicate the market aspect of the game immeasurably, as you’d have to check the durability of the module/s you are buying, so wont work in EVE with is market model.

Regardless of that, I think modules overheated to 100% should be reduced to trash metal. Slot emptied, and the trash metal is dumped into cargo hold.

On the plus side, in EVE, item attrition is handled by the RNG roll on destroyed items when the ship is destroyed, so item sink happens. Unfortunately, this does not extend to Citadels…

1 Like

Except for all the people that constantly express that they do, every time it is mentioned.

Here, let me counter your assertion:

Most people do care about stations in a spaceship game.

Wow … that was easier than I thought.

can sameone explain the benefit of walking in stations?
anything more then “it would be cool” please

JuuR

1 Like

Can you explain the benefit of being able to fly around in bright pink spaceships thanks to the direction some of the recent ship SKINs have been going in?

Or why boots, hats, coats and pants drop from event bosses?

While you’re at it, can you explain why ‘it would be cool’ isn’t enough of a reason?

2 Likes

“it would be cool” is not enough because its ■■■■■■■ expensive to design all the stations annd all the stuff and animate the moving of toons … it will cost a ton of $, € or whatever you want and you will work on that for a few years …

ship skins are a easy thing … people buy them … you can buy some from the store and sell them ingame … i make isk with skins from events … i cant make isk with walking in stations …

if you want to look at your body buy a mirror
if you want to look on the body you want but dont have play a first person shooter

clearly for EVE the game walking in stations have no real benefit … cloths and forming a toon has no benefit at all but maybe its removed too at one point … i dont care too much …

mabe CCP can make you a omega++ with walking in stations for double the price of the subscription … someone have to pay that stuff

JuuR

Yes, it boils down to money/market.

Lets say CCP implemented Captains Quarters and a Bar in EVE.

Would people (and how many) be prepared to pay, lets say, 1/2 a sub for access to it?