CCP killed highsec PvP

Proposed solutions always seem too small. The keys issues that I can see are:

• Hi-sec is too big. It’s a vast part of the game map, and it shouldn’t be. Introduce a storyline where the factions are crumbling and their power (Hi-sec) is reduced to something like a region each.
  • Hi-sec is worth too much. Remove L4 missions to low-sec, remove the ability to put structures up in Hi-sec so no more moon mining. Basically make Hi-sec a small place where you can grind all you like in almost total safety (emphasis on almost) but the rewards are terrible.

Then…

• The massively enlarged new low-sec becomes a much bigger draw for players settling in, as they want to make real ISK and can’t in Hi-Sec. Encourage them to expand out by having faction fleets on the low sec side of the major gates to Hi-sec and patrolling faction/police fleets throughout the new area. Much easier to gank people than in current Hi-sec, but attackers need to watch out for the NPC fleets/gate guns/station guns etc.
  • War-decs only in new Low-sec. War decs mitigate all NPC intervention, however the fact they’re taking place in a much more dangerous environment means they become much less of a one sided noob bash.
  • Turn current low-sec into a real No Mans Land. No gate guns, no sec status drops for shooting people etc. If you go there and get jumped, you asked for it.

I think that would lead to a much more interesting game with a lot more combat and a lot less whining. Hi-sec would be a tiny place packed with noobs who are ready to leave much more quickly. Low-sec would become the heart of the game, with people forming nice sized corps who know they have to be combat ready, and finally what is now low sec would become a genuinely dangerous entry point into null instead of the fairly safe ride it is at the moment.

TLDR: Make Hi-sec small and worthless and stuff and all these problems will disappear

2 Likes

How about everyone HTFU a little and we just let highsec be the way it is? That would be great.

2 Likes

Readers, read between the lines of the above quote.

Interesting, isn’t it.

3 Likes

The only thing you can read there is that I have fun playing the game how it is. So why not listen to those people for a change instead of those who hate it for what it is or people like you who don’t even play.

2 Likes

Asking for change isn’t the same as hating on the game. Wanting to improve things that people have been complaining about for years isn’t a bad thing.

5 Likes

How about no. Lowsec made its bed and it can sleep in it. No “free” content by forcing people to play how you want them to and where you want them to be.

All you’d end up doing is chasing most of the remainder into being null bears cowering under the cover of standing cap fleets or un-subbing. At which point the game ends up even more broken beyond repair. Because you can’t functionally remove certain types of jerks in lowsec has a lot to do with why that region is so dead.

3 Likes

The irony of this goes woosh over your head, doesnt it.

2 Likes

Have you installed the game yet troll?

5 Likes

Lol.
Man, if Im a troll, I must be the greatest troll this forum has ever seen.

How about you?
Feeling inadequate?

2 Likes

Ok, I have no idea what that actually means. The idea is to make the bulk of the game a midpoint between current Hi-sec and current Low-sec to encourage more people to integrate into a more pvp orientated environment without the current major jump in danger. By easing them in if you will.

I’m not sure how you got something different from that.

It is true that EVE is a PvP based game.

But what is more true, is the primacy of profit.

Economy underlies everything in EVE, even moreso than PvP.

I lived downstairs from a +100 mil real-estate magnate in Hamburg. We talked about many things, but relevant here was his advise as business, business, businesss.

Ive heard much the same from a Singaporean billionaire and many other multi-millionaires Ive met over my years.

Business is were real power is.
Politics, wars etc are all secondary.

Business runs the world IRL, in EVE and also for CCP.

2 Likes

Hey guys, remember when Salvos wanted to change CONCORD but then it became evident that he didn’t have the first clue how the mechanic works?

'member that?

Why should anyone take you seriously, Salvos?

3 Likes

I don’t even know why this is a discussion. There are so many aspects of high-sec that are broken… Duels, station-camping, baiting, kill right scams, insurance scams, neutral logi, neutral bumping… the list goes on.

The only way to win is to not play “their” game and play on your own terms. Thus, PvPers hate high-sec carebears when they auto-decline invitations (no duels), T2 fit (no profits in ganks), flag them on their contact list (yeah, Tornados sitting on the Jita undock are there for scientific purposes), tank their cargo and mining ships (again, no ganks) and generally ignore their BS scams in local.

Massive and repeat WarDecs against small corporations result in the corporation disbanding (no Citdadel assets), joining an NPC corporation and then eventually reforming another small corporation.

There’s no such thing in EVE as a fair fight or a just war. The only “gud fights” to be had are where your opponent massively overpowers you (which they almost certainly will). So what’s the point of playing a rigged and stacked game? None. Which is why the vast majority of players simple opt out of PvP and instead PvE.

And don’t even get me started on low-sec. It’s a veritable wasteland created and mainained by the few that remain there and prey on anything that moves. The graduation from high-sec to low-sec consists of a funeral procession. Is it really surprising that most who leave go to null-sec or wormholes?

8 Likes

No, no, no.

If business ran EvE we wouldn’t have this nonsense of enforced buying from the lowest seller.

Ethical Salvos only builds his kit from asteroids-up, and sells for 1234 isk? Pirate (I’m a gonna) WreckYou only sells “found” objects, and prices at an unimaginative 1233.99? Cool. I want to buy from Ethical … but I can’t. Not allowed.

Mr James (I’m just a naughty boy) 315 carefully publishes his / her / their stakeholder names. I don’t want to buy from any of those. Or anyone else who has gone on my naughty-list. I should be able to block any purchases to and / or from them. But I can’t. And that’s not good business.

I already have lists in contacts and can see who bought / sold after the event. MinerBumping was crowing just recently about how one of his / her / their pirates sold “found” mining objects and then traced who bought it to their home system to make another kill. Might even be true. Either way, that’s PvP and a one-sided use of the buying mechanic. And not good business

EvE is supposed to be a player-led market economy. It says so in Wikipedia - must be true. How can it be player led when we get absolutely no say on who we either buy or sell from?

Take Arthur’s point about a “stacked game” and not playing “their” way. Business should be stacked in favor of the industrialist, via a PvP-drivable market. And it ain’t.

6 Likes

The only way to buy from individuals is through contracts (not very user friendly) or private Citadel markets (not cost effective to setup or maintain). So I agree with all of the above points. It’s too bad you can’t filter orders based on your block/contact lists or buy orders directly from individuals (I say individuals and not the -0.01 ISK market bots).

3 Likes

this is the problem with war, theres no one thing broken,
just many different mechanics out of tolerance enough for the whole system to seize up.

people bemoan the buddy list because it was the last piece that kept the whole thing from entirely degenerating into hubhumping warspam.
the whole lot needs looking at, corporations and alliances included in particular

4 Likes

I find it ever very amusing how one player is crying how PvP in high sec is dead, and you have another saying that PvP (or ganking to be specific) is out of control. :sweat_smile:

Solution to Empire Ganking

Makes me wonder who’s perspective has greater validity, if any at all…

Neither, if it was a true problem you’d see people on reddit or here en masse.

While problems most definitely exist, they are not out of control as some would want you to believe. The closest thing I have observed having anything resembling a legitimate complaint was from the anti-war dec crowd. And their only legitimate complaint was that new players simply don’t understand what’s happening to them as their corp disappears around them and teaches them not to fight because there’s nothing to be gained from it. Some have even come forward with possible solutions such as assigning bounties to ships destroyed based solely on the value of the destroyed hull of the opposing party. Which is a far better option than those who shout to remove it outright or fail to consider possible abuse cases.

1 Like

Exactly. That is the nub of the problem. Ganking involves killing me, with me having no intention (and, in an industrial with no drones, no way) of fighting back. That’s not PvP. That’s just dying.

There’s no risk to the ganker either. Only certainty - that they will die by Concord. What’s the point of that? To increase their “PvP” tally on some third party “kill” board? Pffft. Whoop-de-doo. Dying by Concord is not exactly a demonstration of dog-fighting skills, now is it.

4 Likes

I dont know what exactly you find amusing.

Ganking is not PvP. Ganking just involves one party taking a superior DPS ship and attacking another ship that is hardly capable of defending itself against it. In most cases to make a profit out of the ships remains. Its not much different to mission running in that regard.

During the Guristas Event you could see some attempts in PvP when players in PvP fitted command ships or pirate cruisers tried to get into duels with players in PvE fitted ships or lure them into attacking by stealing their loot. Im not sure if i would call that PvP either as PvP capable players just tried to kill some new players.

Overall PvP was never realy alive. Take a look at it from a new players perspective. The Tutorial and Career Agents hardly tell you anything about it (I didnt even see anything about kill rights to begin with). If you want to try it out you need to figure out anything about it yourself. You need to have a stable income to cover your losses. You get heavily penalized for it in skill speed since you risk your pod you cant realy use good implants and you risk loosing event boosters. If i try it and piss someone off i might even have a wardec on my corp. If i look into PvP related kills in Low Secs around me i see ppl doing kills in T2/T3 Cruisers, i even see Dreads with L weapons involved. So i end up using the ships i can get against more experienced players fielding more advanced ships. With that listed up, why the hell should i even try it?

4 Likes