Community experiment. Why the attitude?

You might see the light at the end of the tunnel

“[Today in Rookie Chat I was told that my bio]” An oldie but a goodie!

/(ps, pls don’t ask for actual transcript, as I wouldn’t wish to expose such)

I give you that. But this isn’t my first mmo. There’s toxic people in every game. To say that CCP encourages bad behavior is a bit over the top.

1 Like

I got my answer about the community. Some of the folks here really do uphold some serious dignitas. Just got to learn to stay out of null sec.

Your original post was about how unhelpful and poor the attitude was in the rookie help channel seems like a fair complaint, there are a few helpful people but it clearly attracts a lot of bad attitudes and poor advice.

I don’t understand how your conclusion to stay out of nullsec is related to poor behaviour in rookie chat. Null-sec might not be your preferred gameplay which is understandable, but its unreasonable to label every player based on your limited interactions.

Imperium has an alliance supported group called Gooniversity that is solely to support new players, and provides ships/training/advice with regular fleets - I expect most other large alliances have similar setups, (certainly several have highsec corps aimed at newer players).

However the very knowledgeable people running these groups don’t sit it rookie chat answering questions - they spend their time providing support for their members, so basing your opinion on a few public chat channels doesn’t represent what the wider community has to offer.

TLDR: The idea of branding an entire playerbase from the actions of a few players is slightly flawed.

3 Likes

He went to nullsec via a filament and thought he would have the chance to mine there. He got destroyed by a few members of a corporation called Nullbear Noobfriendly or some damn thing.
That got him all upset and now he’s on a crusade to warn new players not to go to nullsec because - according to him - they are spychos hiding behind fluffy-sweet names, lmao!

2 Likes

Just FYI the game doesn’t have 20k+ people. It has 28,000ish “Active Accounts”. In reality, the player base is about 10k to 13k ish. The rest are alts. I mean some people own 25 accounts, and the average player owns at least 3.

Do the math on that and Eve only has several thousand actual players at best. And due to EvEs toxic nature, that number drops lower every year.

1 Like

28/10 < 30/10=3 so on average, players have less than 3.

1 Like

Well, your numbers are wrong but I’ve made similar points in the past. Yes, an EVE Launcher player count of 26,000 doesn’t mean 26,000 players, it means 26,000 accounts logged in.

As for the rest, there’ve been various estimations made over the years. At Fanfest a couple years ago, an EVE chart stated the average player has 2.6 accounts. As for “active” accounts, one assumes you mean paid subs? Both CSM voting results and an event from a couple years back (where cashable ISK tokens were given to each Omega) show there are many more than 28,000 Omega subs. Active subs are likely in the 120-180,000 range as of the time of that event, although it’s probably gone down since.

“Do the math” on the real facts and you get somewhere in the range of 50-100,000 players who actually pay for Omega (via cash or Plex) on one or more accounts, and probably around double that as Alpha accounts.

For my own guesses I’d say a player count of 26,000 = roughly about 12-14,000 actual players logged in and the rest alts, bots, or AFKs (some people just leave their account logged in at a station all day).

As for dropping due to “toxic nature”: EVE was just as toxic while it was growing to 500k subs back in the day. Various events over time have shown it’s how CCP manages the game and it’s activities (Blackout, Scarcity, etc.) and expense (Alpha, free Omega giveaways) that primarily drives player engagement/logins.

2 Likes

OP, i have not been in that channel for years because of veterans that have become very jaded and burnt out dealing with newbies but just can not seem to realize they have become that and leave the channel themselves.

Even in my own alliance I have noticed that players have joined it 2 years ago have become jaded in answering the same newbie questions over and over again, teaching the same thing over and over again…their hearts harden, they become bitter and angry, and simply forget what being a newbie was like.

IT is not about a chip on their shoulder, or entitlement, or elitism in such cases…they are simply burnt out and just dont know how or want to deal with newbies anymore.

1 Like

A couple of years back, is a couple of years back. We are not talking about 2018. We are talking about 2023 and beyond.

And active subs is not what I am referring to. That number on the launcher tells you how many accounts are currently online. That means Alpha, Omega, and otherwise.

Since you can own multiple accounts, and Vote in the CSM with those accounts. Whether Omega or Alpha, The number of votes is arbitrary, and can not be used to gage population. Nor can the “Number of players online” on the launcher which due to the same reason is arbitrary.

Let me tell you what is not, arbitrary.

Jita population.

In 2018, Jita population was in the 2000 to 5000’s on average (And had been stable at that for years). In 2023 Jita population on average is 500 to 1200 ish on average maybe a spike on occasion.

This is a direct reflection of EvEs population and constitutes a player drop of about 60% since 2018. You can do the same math with the Mission systems, as well as other regions of space for average populations.

The drop across the board is the same. About 60% activity loss. Since 2018

1 Like

All games need new players to keep the game alive. When you start alienating new players, in combination with the toxicicity in highsec, your looking at losing players both to people who are just tired of the BS, as well as losing new players who get tired of being treated like ■■■■.

If the player "retainment of EvE was higher (which it would be with less toxcicity), the older players would not need to deal so much with the Noobs, because there would be more players to deal with them.

Bad Jue Jue in a game is good, up to a point, Then it becomes stagnant, and people as a whole just get tired of it and leave. The ratio for toxicity your looking for is about 10-15 Toxic, Vs 85-90% Non-Toxic. Enough to keep you on your toes, but not enough to make you go… man… screw this.

The current tocicity in EvE is about 35-40% Vs 55-60% Non-Toxic currently (Slowly increasing with the exedus of tons of players in the last 5 years). Which is a major contributor for the population drop over the last 3 years. The non-Toxic players leave and the Toxic players stay.

Hm, strange. Just right now, middle of the week, Jita Local 1900+. At the Weekends well over 2000 for months everytime I am online. No idea where you get your 500 to 1200 from. And the last time I saw a 5000 pop on Jita was during some events, that was never an average value of the last years. I play pretty consistently since 2009, your numbers are completely off.

1 Like

That may be your playtime or play zone. For me, Those numbers are accurate to my experience, so any way you slice it, it still constitutes a player population and activity drop. Especially with the overall player activity going from 90k in 2018 to 25-28 average in 2023.

Your experience, different than the other persons. Doesnt make the whole picture true or false.

Since EU PrimeTime (my TZ) is one of the daily peaks in player activity, I can absolutely assure you that the Jita Local never was above 2500-3000 in the last 10 years on average. I highly doubt there is another timezone on the server where EU player numbers are beaten by a large amount regulary. On some single days it spiked to 5000 when there was a special stream or event going on, but that were pretty rare exceptions.

1 Like

I play from the US, in 2018 Jit’as average population every day was 3500ish with the occasional spikes of up to 5000 (But honestly that was just an arbitrary example to round off numbers).

But even if we go with your numbers, Jita pop has still declined by 35% to 45% in the last 5 years. That’s still a huge drop in population averages.

Why do people keep feeding obvious idiots/trolls?

1 Like

What for?

Nulsec could be treated the same as entering a neighbours yard to take the lemons off the tree without asking.

My guess is that when someone suggests to a new capsulleer to goto nulsec is to help them find a path that can shallow the learning curve.

It sounds to me that Nullsec is like Area-51 “We shoot on sight”. Some people were lucky to go in there and come out without holes in them, like some players went to Null and came back okay.

What’s to learn? How a ship makes pretty explosions in space? I can learn that in Lowsec and it’s closer to me.

1 Like