CONCORD PANIC BUTTON for HISEC space

Lol, I knew it.

Good luck with your little crusade. I won’t bother to come back and check on in you since everyone of your type eventually realizes they won’t win, accepts the amount time they’ve wasted on this, and moves on to better pastures.

1 Like

You probably think that I am a Empire player right. Well I am not you can even see it from my killboard but hey it doesnt matter. You just want to kill and kill and kill well why dont you just go and play PUBG dude battleroyale suits you more.

For those who wants to do many diffrent things in big universe Eve Online is a nice place. It has some problems (Empire security) and suicidal gankers like you but hey its gonna get fixed eventually or face the consuquences of not protecting new players from sniped when they undock…

While I can agree anyone who harasses players less than two weeks old is a pretty shitty person, I think the increased risk to newer players outside of rookie systems due to not having an automatic Concord response can be mitigated with proper tutorials and education (since griefing new players in a rookie system is already a bannable offense, we can just focus on new players outside of rookie systems). For example, a new Seekers Investigation mission as part of their introductory set of missions that has them use a stargate to leave their rookie system and go to a mission site next door could be added. This mission could specifically introduce the player to the potential dangers of highsec and show them the 911 button with shiny arrows and stuff and how to use it. That would give new players all the info they need to be better prepared against gankers and not have the “what just happened??” feeling. Knowledge is power, after all.

2 Likes

They will still have the 'what just happened feeling because ganks are too fast.
This button idea adds nothing but bad complexity to an already busy UI and punishment for anyone who dares blink for a second.

I like the idea that Concord only comes to aid of players who are not afk and able to press the right button.

However, for ingame reasons it shouldn’t matter to the Concord mind whether a capsuleer is commanded by some guy ‘at a keyboard’ or not. When illegal aggression happens in high security space, they should respond and punish.

The biggest reason not to implement this idea is that it allows gankers a free pass to gank most newbies. In the big mess of EVE UI, how are rookies supposed to start looking for the right button when something far more important is happening on their screen: they’re getting attacked and killed!!

It would be harsh to tell them after the gank ‘I know you just lost your ship, but you should’ve called for Concord response, now your gankers went free’. ‘What’s Concord?’ ‘How do I call for their response?’ ‘What do they do’?

Don’t give gankers a free pass to kill rookies without suiciding.

Do remember you can get concorded for shooting a stationary object, not another ship also.
Which means Concord respond by monitoring you, not to a call for help.

In theory, I like the idea of CONCORD only coming if they’re called to make AFK farming activities more dangerous, but bots will surely have the 911 button hit into their script, so it won’t have much impact on them, other than giving CCP another input to check for automation. FACPO will still show up for gankers with low enough standings (which is most of them), so gankers will still have a time limit.

While not a perfect idea, still a “+1” from me.

How about making people enter a longer string —

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

1 Like

Exactly. The original idea was to discourage afk play and get closer to the original Eve sandbox concept and outright punish botting (which is either bot can be killed or detected if scripted to respond per previous posts)

That would be mean. On the other hand a picture text box to unlock the button to prevent botters from pressing the button anytime anything attacked was a thought but I wasn’t sure if it could be balanced in a way that would not hinder players.

This has been addressed earlier in the thread, while newbies are not protected from any particular gank players who greif newbies will do so with or without the panic button and can be subjected to penalties for doing so by GMs/Devs.

That sentence makes it seem like you don’t actually play Eve or severely lack an understanding of the game mechanics.

If you undock in hi-sec and someone takes a potshot (or a snipe shot from a distance) the agressing player’s ship instantly explodes. In case you haven’t been paying attention to the game (Eve) most ganks in hi-sec are overwhelming force at gates against freighters or belts against miners who have been in the game long enough to not be considered newbies. The proposed mechanic of adding a panic button doesn’t affect your scenario of newbies being “sniped”. Real newbies in general have been addressed previously in the thread.

Yes, it is. Also the Dev’s could add a notification/animation to the game that does the same thing when a player undocks for the first time after patching in the button.

Nope, wrong, it is a PvP game and people who quit when they lose are called Sore Losers.

And we are not worried about running out of fodder The River Fodder has flowed for 15 years and will flow for another 15 years.

2 Likes

Eve has been continuously nerfing Hi-Sec, making it “safer” and more profitable since I came in the game. It would seem to me that the “safe space and protecting everyone” concept certainly takes away the edge of the game and is turning Hi-Sec into farmville in space which is, to me, a bit boring and unappealing. If you want farmville in space then you should be happy with the direction Eve has been going. On the other hand botters are essentially cheaters in the economic game and are one of the primary issues attempting to be addressed with this idea.

If you like being safe I believe Eve developed a version of farmville in space you can play but I have no interest in it so you’re on your own for finding it.

If you like being safe in Eve there are stations you can stay in. Otherwise the learning curve and mindset for Eve is very different from most and not for everyone. To shoehorn Eve into something “everyone” will be safe in and like is to literally kill the sandbox concept that built Eve and attracted many in the first place.

1 Like

But how are they going to monitor and judge abuse in these cases? And why should they put in more man hours monitoring these situations, if they can also choose not to implement it in the first place?

It’s easy to monitor and punish gankers for killing newbies in newbie systems; just filter on the systems where the ganks happened.
However, this situation is completely different: how are you going to filter on ganks that happened where the newbie had no time to find the correct button to call for concord help? There is no way to distinguish newbies from new alts and I don’t think there is a good way to distinguish semi-afk players from players who in their panic couldn’t find the right button.

Newbies will get ganked without punishment because they won’t know that they know they can call for help from Concord. It’s not something I would expect a day-old newbie to know the first time they get ganked, which means gankers won’t even lose their ships to kill newbies in high sec space.

It’s a bad idea.

That was addressed in Drake’s suggestion for adding to the tutorials as well as the response where an animation pointing it out (like text CCP add’s about new items when they add them) could be included.

Otherwise the panic button has no effect on whether someone ganks a newbie or a non-newbie or not and is within or outside of the eula/rules at that time.

Whose … was longer than hell.

Yeah, I’ve got nothing to contribute to this one.

Newbies have problems with EVE Combat PvP because it takes a ridiculous amount of effort to figure out how it works.
See the current posts (around 190/200) here for one example:
Recent Patch Huge Buff for Suicide Gankers, THANKS CCP! <3

How is a new player expected to figure out how CONCORD actually works in practice? By the time they have a minimal feel for PvP combat they’re not newbies any more. But far more frequently they’ve left the game forever. Not necessarily due to PvP combat issues as such, but they certainly contribute to the underlying issue: for most new players, the EVE startup process is both confusing and boring.

Unlike trying to understand who gets to shoot whom, or what to expect and how to act when attacked, a “call CONCORD” button would be simple:

• Easy to describe early in the NPE
  • Easy to explain how and when to use it
  • Easy to add it to an early scenario in the NPE

I doubt first-time gank targets would panic. If they did, it would only be once, and any normal gamer would treat it as a learning experience.

Compare it with the pointless and annoying uncertainty (for new players) of figuring out if they can take the first shot or not. As an earlier poster said “Knowledge is power”. But it’s easy to forget the opposite: beginners don’t like being tricked due to a lack of essential knowledge.

Figuring out when to hit a “Call CONCORD” button as explained early in the NPE would be simple. Getting it wrong once would be cause for self-criticism, but I doubt it would induce any annoyance with the game.

2 Likes

How about a panic room? Just stay docked while playing?