D-scan auto-repeat

Auto-repeating d-scan should not be considered abuse anymore than an auto-repeating armor repairer or auto-repeating mining laser

If it turns out auto-repeating d-scan is breaking the server you could introduce dis-incentives in the circumstances where that is the case, for example large fleet fights or just busy systems in general. But i doubt it would break anything.

But if that’s the case one way to alleviate that is for example, the more targets d-scan picks up the higher the cap cost was. Or, the more pilots are in local/the system the higher the cost for a d-scan is. Or something else. But now we are are entering some sketchy territory. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

This is utter bollocks and you know it.

D-Scan is an incredibly powerful tool once you know how to use it.

It’s 100% player skill. There’s no ingame skills to train that improve your d-scan. A day one alpha and a 20 year bittervet both have exactly the same tool available to them. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a pod, a corvette, a cruiser, Titan or an AT ship. D-scan is exactly the same for everyone.

It’s an Intel tool that gives you great information in a bubble up to 14.3AU. Trying to equate this to auto repeating guns is just a flimsy straw man at best.

Make a better argument than this utter trash.

Have you ever been in a 10+ hour TiDi slugfest? Having 2,000+ nerds all running auto d-scan will crash servers.

Why does d-scan suddenly need to cost cap? It never has in the past.

In any event, your concept won’t provide a whole lot of protection for those too lazy to mash their d-scan manually.

60s, or even 30s, is plenty of time for someone to drop combat probes, nail you down and have tackle in warp to your location.

All it will do is provide a false sense of security.

You haven’t given any cogent argument as to why d-scan mechanics should change.

An auto-repeat option will not reduce the level of skill required to understand and use the directional scanner unless you consider having to click a button part of that skill

Having 2,000+ nerds all running auto d-scan will crash servers.

Fear mongering, because 1) they are either already using d-scan relentlessly and it doesent cause the problem, or 2) you can introduce dis-incentives for auto-repeat if/when TiDi kicks in

Why does d-scan suddenly need to cost cap?

You said yourself its “an incredibly powerful tool”. But i propose cap cost be a symbolic amount subject to change in the future. But also d-scanning costing cap just makes sense even if there was no auto-repeat option.

It never has [cost cap] in the past.

Just because things were a certain way in the past does not mean that those things were good.

You haven’t given any cogent argument as to why d-scan mechanics should change.

Its more of a QoL change than a mechanics change. Maybe you need to hit d-scan 16 thousand times more before you understand the motivation behind the idea. Or maybe not

Sorry, after checking back with my sources in the Amarr Navy, I have to inform you that the technology for automated scanners is of course available and even built in into all of New Edens ship classes. The Navy and CONCORD vessels use autoscanners all the time to find any ship anywhere in space within seconds.

However, by agreement of the Empires and by extension, CONCORD, autoscanning is among the many technologies which Capsuleers have only restricted access to, to ensure the dominance of the Navy and CONCORD fleets over rogue capsuleer attempts to rival or take over any empire infrastructure. Therefore this technology will remain inaccessible for capsuleers in the forseeable future.

I hope you understand that I cannot name my source, as it is an insider of the highest ranks in the Amarr navy. Have a nice day!

1 Like

In large fleets, it’s generally only a few people relentlessly mashing d-scan. Enabling everyone to mash it with little effort is something completely different.

The most prolific users of d-scan are light tackle pilots who tend to fly ships with small capacitors. You’re proposing to make them use cap which will make some ships really start to struggle, like the Slicer which already has cap issues.
So you’re making the lives of light tackle pilots, who already have one of the toughest jobs in any small gang or fleet, more difficult while feeding Intel to the mainline dps at basically no cost to them?

Oh, I understand the motivation behind the idea: you’re lazy and want things spoonfed to you. You want 100% safe areas and probing free wormhole Intel.
And you haven’t addressed the main concern: this would be a false sense of security. To actually help make players safe, the d-scan would have to cycle every 5-10s.

2 Likes

I didnt read anything above…

Bind the V key to your mouse thumb button and set it to repeat so when you hold or push the button it cycles dscan.

Link to previous discussions

so? you don’t have a monopoly on bad ideas.

Its a good idea you just dont like it

Neither does anyone else it seems.

What gave you that idea?

the complete lack of support this idea has received anytime it’s been suggested is a bit of a clue.

The more you post the more sure I am you’re a Wesfahrn alt.

Why not count the people who propose the idea as supporting it? It gets proposed regularly

Cherrypicking
Your opinion has been discarded accordingly.

I don’t care.

The guys entire post I replied to was about auto reload and auto repeat, and I faithfully engaged by discarding the bad opinion part („people against X are against Y“) and confirmed that yes, there was actually some truth to the substance — there are indeed instances where auto repeat and auto reload will actually get you killed. So perhaps some people do hate it. Maybe his bad opinion part is true — I would disagree despite giving him supporting evidence.

Your pithy opinion is non constructive, and bad faith. It has been discarded accordingly.

1 Like

Yup.
Auto Reload on an ancillary armour repper and Auto repeat on a cap Injector are two examples.

Thankfully, we can turn it off.

Based on feedback from another thread i would like to propose an additional setting if auto-matic refresh is implemented:

Stop automatic refresh on find

It’s not that easy: If you dscan, you loose focus on your current window. Chatting or even just navigating by shortcuts will be a nightmare. So first of all the way D-Scan works would have to be changed.

Btw, there’s many gadgets and systems that could be way more efficient (e.g. Autopilot), but this would destroy the balance of the game.

1 Like

that won’t happen until EVE is running on Quantum server blades.

Apparantly d-scan is a hack that causes lag :slight_smile: Funny how CCP invests all this time into changing the UI for no reason other than changing it but doesent invest in fixing hacks like d-scan…? Or maybe its not funny but you know what i mean