Delay local chat now that we have de-cloaker pingers

not sure on that but I think gates read all ships ID system wide no matter it been used by that ship or not .

I thought the Lore said Gates read ship IDā€™s when the Gate is activated, course I could be mistaken.

Thereā€™s a reason why itā€™s called Covert. Having Local show everybody in system negates the aspect of it being Covert.

so to fix the ā€œcovertā€ syntax we would need to screw the game itself?

That was my understanding too.

I think putting a delay on will adjust the balance too far towards destruction and easy hunting, however like many people I sort of like the tactical and strategic implications of it. Can people adjust to this, well yes, but the real question is whether people would adjust for this, certainly with current rewards I would suggest no way. And would screw the game.

2 Likes

As someone who has been having a lot of fun in Covert ships in the past months in various roles as solo hunter, cyno hunter, torpedo and bomb bomber and bridge, I can tell it would be way too powerful to have covert ships not show up in local.

Iā€™m asking for a more general yet short delay in local chat intel, something that applies for all ships but isnā€™t nearly as powerful as ā€˜covert ships donā€™t show up in localā€™.

Iā€™ve been flying Covert ships for over 10 years, both as an explorer and as a scout. Having Local chat show your presence in system greatly handicaps and removes the basic principle of being Covert, as in not being made aware of. In my opinion Local chat is like a system wide Radar which shouldnā€™t be showing Covert ships, just like how real life Stealth Planes donā€™t show on Radar.

3 Likes

If we do that then we should not have cynoā€™s mounted in ships. I am not in favour of this concept of immediate drop and murder. So if they are going to apply cynos as something you drop then have a spool up and put a delay on local for ships that do not come through gates. It would make things a lot more interesting. I rather like it as a concept.

Cynoā€™s need to be re-worked, otherwise it would just be a out of balance murder spree.

1 Like

Just like irl, a smuggler/ pirate/ enemy navy ship wonā€™t be on open commsā€¦ would be great if this was in the game from day 1, trying to introduce it now would result in another player drop similar to blackout.

There are wormholesā€¦ so those who really donā€™t like local, can have no local.

2 Likes

Then make ships use fuel or energy. just like real planes do

I was under the impression that local was tied to gates.

But yeah; titanbidges, covops or any cynojumping. POS bridges, WHā€™s etcā€¦

So how about: if you use an official gate you show up on local. If you enter the system through other means; you dont show up on local.
Ofc, you didnt get any gate info if you do that, so no local for you either.

3 Likes

Now thatā€™s a good point and it works for me.

Then the only way to see whoā€™s in Local would be to actually do recon and put eyes on them by warping cloaked to various stations, gates, belts, etc.

1 Like

the thing with pvp pilots is that they are absurd with their demands.
EVE is first and formost a place of pve, nowdays. remember that.

also please note; they not running becouse they are ā€œscaredā€ itā€™s that ultimatly becouse they cant even apply damageā€¦
to your small insignificant low cheep dirty ultra-budget poor fit pvp fit rustbucket you call ā€œshipā€ā€¦
rofl. no poors pls, come at me in a battleship or forever be a angry-pleb.

alsoā€¦ identifying information from chat are provided in almost all mmoā€™s.
also please? ā€¦ stop comparing a pixel space game with RL infrastructure, just get an cyno/spy alt and stop crying about chatā€¦ if anything should change with the chat it should only be that its modernized and never goes down.

no, thatā€™s not the whole truth, and arguable not even a part of the truth.
afk cloaky campers were deemed a toxic byproduct of the game, and a semi-fix was implemented

what re-works are you suggesting?
i myself was an avid defender of the ā€œmake cloaks use fuelā€ for a more engaging cat&mouse-gameplay for both sides.

Do it!

No it isnā€™t.

EVE is primarily about player interaction in all possible forms: cooperation, competition, evasionā€¦ you either play with other players, against them or actively avoid (being shot by) them.

All ships in EVE are designed for such roles and all have applications for player interaction, whether it is about cooperation, competition or avoiding players; all ships have a role in PvP.

On the other hand only some ships are useful for the subset of the game that is PvE. What use is a covops recon for PvE? What is the point of an interdictor against NPCs? Tackle frigates?

EVE is about gathering of resources, production and interaction with others while doing all that.

EVE is primarily a PvP game. PvE is there to facilitate player interaction.

EVE PvE is a subset of the first of those three and certainly not the main focus of the game. And many players, me included, spend a lot more time interacting with others than time shooting pirates or rocks.

I much rather shoot players. Rocks are way too predictable.

1 Like

if you count out war and also if you count it in?
Iā€™m sure the total number of hours spent (by all pilots) will be greater on pve activity than hours spent on pvp. thus I claim that EVE is a PvE game first and foremost.

please note that the isk/hr is only dropping on PvE activityā€™sā€¦ so, in a fixed analytical state, the hours spent on PvE would increase.
in a dynamic state, they might be skewed/trending towards pvp hoursā€¦? but would still be a ā€œnegativeā€ statistic, as that would/could only mean it was because of the player losing interest in the game.

PvE fits/ships do not have a role in PVP.
I donā€™t agree that ā€œavoidingā€ PVP, as in being docked up in a station, should count towards being active/ having a role in either PvE or PVP. furthermore, I donā€™t even agree that a PvE ship that is under a player attack is to be regarded as having a role in PVP, because the PvE ship cannot apply damage.

Eve is a sandbox, without rulesā€¦ so I guess both of us are wrong in one way or another as EVE might be both, all depending on the players.

but i do belive that the majority of players are doing pve rather then pvpā€¦ but only one to know for sure is ccp, i guess?

I live in Stain a lot of the time and itā€™s not and hasnā€™t been a problem, Wrectical Supremacy and Happy Cartel have no issues with countering so called afk cloakers because they take the time and effort to do so. They kill me on a regular basis and I donā€™t fly anything that canā€™t cloak ever. Iā€™ve gotten a lot better at this stuff than I was but they still get me because they are very good at what they do. All I can do is thank them for the education, they keep people out of the systems they want them out of and trap them in the ones they want to hunt them in. If they can do this just about anyone can if they exert the effort and thought required.
If I were to become an afk cloaker they would get me even more often than they do now, they would make it so I had nowhere to warp to without being decloaked other than my own safe points which they have managed somehow to reverse engineer some of.
They donā€™t need the observatory things, they just know what they are doing and do it well.

Thatā€™s an interesting way of looking at it. I see it the other way, no mater what I am doing I have to assume that PvP is about to happen. If I am doing some PvE stuff, aside from things that happen in NPC stations, I am automatically at risk of being blown up. At all times. To me this makes everything PvP to one extent or another because I have to constantly be aware of what is going on around me.
Just the fact that I can be killed, or, if I feel the impulse, kill someone else any time and anywhere makes this a PvP game. The PvE part is obviously part of Eve and where in one way or another all of our stuff comes from, but itā€™s not (in my opinion) a PvE game in any way.

Umā€¦ No.
There are things in this game based on that sort of stuff or stuff thatā€™s been extrapolated to what it could be in the future. If I have a device here on earth that works better than itā€™s distant future counterpart Iā€™m likely to notice.

What?

I was being a bit mean there, I admit it and Iā€™m trying to stop putting things that way.
However I read seemingly endless threads on the subject and offered (very reluctantly) counters that I have seen used and have had used on me which were ignored for the most part in favor of demanding CCP make the game different for a select group of people.
Thankfully CCP made this thing something people like me, travelers, explorers and so on can largely ignore.
They also did it in such a way that I can still go into a system someone else thinks they own and cause them to sit in their stations day after day if I so desire.
I donā€™t personally feel like sitting in a system just to keep someone else from doing things but then again Iā€™m not at war with anyone or really actively hunting anyone so I see no point in wasting the time. If I were at war with someone and I had the resources I would see to it that as many of them stayed in their stations as possible to keep them from getting stuff done. This I consider as valid a tactic as cutting their supply lines. All they have to do is fight back if they donā€™t like it, asking CCP to waste time making new things to make them feel better strikes me as a copout.

I did suggest what I would do in the post that you replied to. IN that there is a spool up time before the cyno can allow ships to pass through.

I am not in favour of that because the issue was always the AFK aspect. What the fix did was give an expensive option with a chance based system and limited life and easy to blow up if ATK that only works on those that are truly AFK. As such the fix works perfectly because it is costly. The fact is you have to spend millions of ISK to blow up a cloaky camper, so there is a cost element to it, which I think is balanced.

Just adding fuel would nerf cloaks too much for certain classes of ships with small cargo holds.

Ah this is actually interesting that you mention this. Certain people told me that I had not done this, but you are telling people that this was done to you. @Scipio_Artelius remember what I said, you can apologise to me now and our splat will be over from my side at least.

1 Like