EVE X Apple

Just to confirm that I encountered no issues on my iMac 27” 5k. Window scaling is working properly and UI scaling at 150% is perfect. Cursor blinking is also gone. Good job CCP. I even re-subbed one extra Omega because I can now run it smoothly with the rest.

UPDATE: when you install weapons on ship, glitches returns.

I am running Big Sur 11.6 most recent macOS on a 16gb Apple M1. Ships are invisible. in the dock all I see is the docking bay no ship. When I click undock I get the sound effect but it does not undock. Before updated to the latest macOS I could undock and see the ship but had no HUD to control the ship modules/ weapons. This is a complete SNAFU. Because CCP disabled older versions I now have zero access on any of my mac computers old or new. Great job CCP! To say I am let down does not even come close. After more then a decade maintaining multiple paid accounts this might be the final kick in the teeth. Why was it required to disable the working older systems to implement a new one that is chock full of bugs?

Is that about right ? 30% is about the lowest it gets. It’s using 1.4 GB of memory.

Fan blowing away like normal.

cant agree more, we dont even have options they screw us hard and cant even complain about it! gg sad we cannot use wine anymore

Upgraded to Catalina, problem solved. New client runs great; I can now genuinely multibox 2 accounts even with high settings across the board, without lag or other BS. Well done, CCP.

Great to hear.

What’s your idle CPU % ?

My CPU is 2.8 GHz Quad-Core i7, and no discernible fan when running EVE on high graphics. Idle % is mostly within 88-90 when running EVE. All that with multiple other programs running at the same time (browsers, iTunes, etc).

About 80-85%

Only Eve running.

Don’t know then. I have a bit better specs with the quad-core, so maybe that’s enough to make a difference.

Thanks old bean.

@CCP_Caffeine - can you confirm what spec of machines you tested on ?

Did you guys get fans running or were you able to eliminate it ?

Thank you.

Here is my recent update on the mac update.

• Launching the game works again without time delay.
  • Textures of ships and stations load better, with just a one second delay sometimes.
  • I can open windows now without delay.
  • Buttons do not dissapear.

on the bad side…

• I can not open the character customisation. It gives me over 5 minutes black screen with mouse. fter 5 Minutes the “back” button appears. But no visuals of the character or the clothing sidepanel.
  • Open the contract window is delayed. 1-3 Minutes to see the contracts.
  • Changing ship-skins is delayed. Sometimes it takes over 10 seconds to change. sometimes the texture does not change at all.
  • Sound is broken. The music sometimes stops. Sometimes it comes back but not always. Normal sounds are sometimes distorted.

So ccp… i see you are fixing it. hopefully EVE will come back to its old performance.
Overall graphics with the new mac client are way better.

Thats it for now…

Hi everyone,

I get many crashes (and my computer reboot directly) when i use “Shader” in high mode.
If this mode is in “Low”, it work, but in “High”, the game crashes and reboot my Mac.

I am on a Mac Pro 2019.

I open a request with this number #1677450, with logs from LogLite (logs made before 2 crashes).
I got this crashes with High mode for Shader on the beta version already, before this last one.

I hope you will find this to fix it, will be a pleasure for me.

Kind Regards & FlySafe,
doc

look is the first time in 10 years that i don’t have EVE installed on my PC
at first i was accepting that
but i really miss the game
i have an old Mac i cant update for reasons but i could play the game for ever , now i CANT
i don’t think this is reasonable
yeah its hard to maintain yada yada … give us mac os users pre catalina the old client back
the potatones of eve makes it diverse and strong

1 Like

Hello,

A bug report about CPU usage, EBR-225553.

Many thanks about this Mac version of the EVE client, so far better than the Wine !

Can someone confirm if M1 imac can run 2 clients in high settings?

Hi folks

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m afraid I can’t reply to every post on the forum, but I assure you that I’m reading them all.

A small update:

• We have identified that some Nvidia + older macOS versions (10.14 specifically) have a driver defect which can cause rendering issues as experienced by @JPVOODOO, @Darianne_Cesaille . We have been trying to find a solution to stop these, but as it’s at the driver level, we are limited in what we can do. There will be a patch in November where we will try to improve the situation for 10.14 users + Nvidia, but it means that a number of visual effects will be disabled (turrets for example, which you can disable now). While this is not ideal, it’s the only thing we can do to improve the situation.
    Upgrading to macOS 10.15 resolves these issues. We have seen this internally and through a user report who forced a higher version of macOS than is officially supported by Apple on their machine. We are not recommending this approach, but it does help validate the root cause.

• We are currently testing a fix that will help with filesystems that are case-sensitive. This should help to resolve some of the failure to launch problems with the client on these systems.

• It is possible that some older systems that ‘Download on Demand’ is giving a subpar experience. This is particularly noticeable when on a slower internet connection with a new EVE installation. We suggest downloading the entire client (launcher option) for the best experience. This will use more drive space, but it means that the client will download all the required files when patching, and not when the game is running.

A few general points :slight_smile:

• GPU drivers on macOS are updated with the operating system. This means that running the latest point release possible can fix issues. Updating to the latest OS release can fix even more issues. We have seen internal tests and reports from players where patching their OS resolved the issue they were encountering.

• While we try to check things reported on the forums, by far the best way to communicate an issue to us is via an EVE Bug Report. Ideally from the client (F12), but if you can’t launch, then from the website.

• If you’re using non-Apple hardware (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc…) then it’s important to tell us as much about it as possible. While we focus on Apple hardware naturally, it’s difficult to assess reports unless they include specific details on where you’re experiencing the issue.

• We do not support Hackintosh systems or Wine. While we do not block or break them intentionally, please refrain from reporting issues on these as we can not investigate them.

• If you post to see if others are experiencing an issue, try to include your EBR number (Eve Bug Report) so we can collate feedback internally.

I’m sure many of you have seen that we have been releasing patches as soon as we can for the macOS client, so hopefully, many of the issues in this thread have been resolved. Keep filing those EBRs and we’ll investigate them.

Thanks everyone

3 Likes

Does “The Notch” on the new Apple Macs affect gameplay?

I don’t use a Mac. My desktop computer is a powerful Linux box. Recently I have been playing Metro Exodus because I don’t care about rebooting to Windows. The EVE Client sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t on Linux. I hope that the work that is being done for this Mac port, as well as maturing Proton, will lead to support for Linux.

1 Like