How will EVE Possibly Compete with Amazing Star Citizen?

At least EVE got released before it became outdated.

1 Like

Star Citizen is gonna be huge when it is released. Just like the best wines, it just needs to age for a couple more years. I predict that it will easily be the next No Mans Sky in terms of success and reach.

1 Like

You know, I seem to remember people saying similar things about SWTOR, and X-Rebirth, and Iā€™d be remiss to leave out No Manā€™s Skyā€¦ which was an abysmal failure, although you seem to think it wasnā€™t? Thatā€™s okay, Iā€™m used to you being wrong about everything

Calm down miner. Hint: irony is not a super rare nullsec ore.

I think you smoked the wrong ā– ā– ā– ā– .

SC Jehovah witness, boring.

But I am still here, why ? To help improve Eve to become better than SC, attract new customer and subscribers and lot of money for ccp.

Thatā€™s the lie all ā€œEVE is dying/ ā€˜Xā€™ game is going to kill EVEā€ people tell everyone (and themselves). The truth is that people like this are unable to find satisfaction in EVE, they see a new game coming and think ā€œI can use this as leverage against CCPā€ so they run to the forums proclaiming EVEā€™s impending doom UNLESS CCP bows to their specific demands for ā€˜changeā€™.

Itā€™s why I hate the whole Walking in Stations crowd. The crowed up, down, left and right about how if EVE didnā€™t get walking in stations, some other game would have it and EVE would be screwed. Star Trek Online came out with both spaceship gameplay and avatar gameplay . And thenā€¦and THENā€¦nothing lol. Because EVE already has what it needs, which is an engaging social dynamic unlike any other game.

Itā€™s the same thing here. EVE isnā€™t a spaceship game, itā€™s a social experience with a sci-fi background. Nothing about (heavily instanced/twitch based star fighter/FPS gameplay) Star Citizen is going to have an impact on EVE, just like the other games didnā€™t.

EVEā€™s gameplay sucks compared to most other games, some would say that freaking PONG is more exciting, but no other game smashes human beings together into the same seething cauldron of craziness the way EVE does, which is why itā€™s still here when other (arguably more fun) games have come and gone.

Of course thereā€™s always the reasonably important point that EvE doesnā€™t even have to compete with SC until it is actually released.

1 Like

I purchased SC the other day and it is utterly crap and buggy as hell at this point.
It has a VERY LONG way to go before it can compete with any released game

Your mistake then, because they arenā€™t even the same kind of game.

According to the Star Citizen tracker the game is 18% completeā€¦ after 6 years of development. This is what happens when a project is run by micro-managing dreamer who has people throwing money at him, but no-one on his back forcing him to commit to a deadline.

2 Likes

So only 27 more years for it to be 100% if the pace and financing will be kept.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a little depressing as I really do want the game to be released.

Iā€™d be playing both SC and EvE as they feed into deifferent game experiences, much the same as I play other games alongside EvE. EvE is the most constant draw though, which is purely down to the people you play alongside in my view.

And one year for the players to play it, take it in, take it apart and go back to whatever game they really like the most, and because SC created the biggest hype bubble ever.

Itā€™s an completly different gameplay. Only thing these games have in common is that they are both sci-fi games.

The player base is similar and when compared to video games overall the gameplay is too. Both games are about piloting an internet spaceship in a sandbox virtual universe. Thatā€™s a lot of overlap.

1 Like

I wish CCP would provide a similar tracker because, complaints aside, I reckon theyā€™d look pretty good at delivering content by comparison!

When SC is finally released the remaining fanboi still alive will turn around in his wheelchair, point his walking stick at you and with gloating smile, proclaim ā€œSee, I told you so!ā€ shortly before suffering a heart attack from all the excitement.

Star Citizen is destined to be the biggest flop in the history of gaming ( perhaps even knocking Atariā€™s E.T. from itā€™s #1 slot and it literally killed gaming for years ), and likely the fortunate end of crapstarter and early actrash games as a whole. And yet I still have more respect and faith in the sleazy used spaceship salesman Chris Roberts and his band of merry morons than Iā€™d ever have in Hilmar and the current CCP crew.

Wow. No, not really. Thereā€™s no piloting in EVE, thereā€™s clicking. Completely different gameplay. There is no instancing in EVE, and there is only one server. No matter what similarities you reach for, EVE is the quintessential PVP game and there is absolutely nothing like it on the market.

Thereā€™s no piloting in EVE, thereā€™s clicking. Completely different gameplay.

All gaming is clicking and manual piloting in EvE is equally important in PvP.
SC (and ED) differs from EvE in being an RTS rather than an FPS but regardless, both games attract wannabe pilots and aim to provide a sandbox universe for them to explore, so while the gameplay differs, whatā€™s on offer is similar.

There is no instancing in EVE, and there is only one server.

Which makes EvE unique because it doesnā€™t put any limits on player interaction (beyond what the cluster can handle) and remains one of itā€™s strongest selling points. However, itā€™s been around for 15 years now so many players have either already moved on are willing to try something different.

No matter what similarities you reach for, EVE is the quintessential PVP game and there is absolutely nothing like it on the market.

No matter what differences you reach for, the player base for these games is similar.